New hardware needed when replacing bushings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking at the Wits End COMPLETE bushing kit and am wondering if all the new hardware for the bushings is necessary.

I know this land cruiser hobby is pretty expensive but would like to save money where I can unless it is highly recommended to change out all the hardware as well as the bushings.

Thanks

Per the FSM, yes. Threads stretch.
Correct me if I'm wrong but those radius arm bolts are like M16s, to bring those bolts into the plastic region(threads stretching) would require like 250lbf-ft + of torque for grade 10.9 bolts. I think more important aspect is the pre-applied loctite, and having no corrosion. I'm sure i'm not the only one that re-uses decent fasteners with new thread locker.

Correct me if I'm wrong but those radius arm bolts are like M16s, to bring those bolts into the plastic region(threads stretching) would require like 250lbf-ft + of torque for grade 10.9 bolts. I think more important aspect is the pre-applied loctite, and having no corrosion. I'm sure i'm not the only one that re-uses decent fasteners with new thread locker.
lock me up and throw away the key, but, I did all of my bushings in Sept. Every bolt was rust free. I put each one in a vise and used a wire brush on the threads. Cleaned 'em up like new. Put some loctite blue on and sleep like a baby knowing they'll outlive me and my kin folk.

Head bolts? Different deal. I replaced those even though they were in spec (barely).:clap:

I’ve learned that Toyota is far more intelligent than myself. So if they are suggesting it it’s likely not because they are trying to sell a bunch of inexpensive hardware. There is a reason.
Sorry to hijack this thread but not really.. I have been unsuccessful in reaching you either via Mud PM, email, phone call, and FB. I placed an order two weeks ago for something I thought was in stock and was just looking for an update on when it could ship. Is joey@absolute-wits-end.com the right email? I know you are super active on mud everyday so hopefully this reaches you.

Sorry to hijack this thread but not really.. I have been unsuccessful in reaching you either via Mud PM, email, phone call, and FB. I placed an order two weeks ago for something I thought was in stock and was just looking for an update on when it could ship. Is joey@absolute-wits-end.com the right email? I know you are super active on mud everyday so hopefully this reaches you.

All that contact with him in two weeks? No kidding he hasn't responded. He's probably working on a restraining order.

I was looking at the Wits End COMPLETE bushing kit and am wondering if all the new hardware for the bushings is necessary.

I know this land cruiser hobby is pretty expensive but would like to save money where I can unless it is highly recommended to change out all the hardware as well as the bushings.

Thanks
When I redid all my bushings I reused most of the hardware. It's not the FSM way but it's been almost two years and many miles with no issues. The only bolts/nuts I replaced were the front radius arm bolts/nuts. Those have a few little "teeth" on the bolt head that I assume is to keep it in place so I figured it would be good to use new ones. The rest appeared to be standard bolts and nuts.

Personally you can't go wrong with replacing them all. However, if money is an issue, I would inspect your hardware and if its badly corroded, pitted or any section loss I'd replace it. If not then it's probably ok to reuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom