New GX470 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I'm a new 07 GX470 owner, and am looking forward to the upgrade journey and adventures it will bring!

First things first, I need to fix the ML audio system (no volume). Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. Can't live without my radio.

Build Plans:
Tires - I'd like to run 35s for moderate to hard off-roading. Trails I run have deep ruts, 35s is a minimum, 37s would be great too, but not sure yet how difficult it would be to get there.
Wheels - TBD
Suspension - Icon or ?. I'm still studying this.
Bumpers - TBD maybe weld my own
Sliders - TBD
Under Armor - TBD
Winch - TBD
Brakes - seems OK stock, possibly will need to upgrade with the 35s?
Gears - TBD

I'll be spending time on here searching through the sea of info, thanks in advance for any advice shared.

Also if anyone knows where I can find the money tree forest, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
K Krawler

I ran stock brakes with 35's, a fridge, sliders, full skids, RTT, front/rear bumpers, winch and drawers and with each of those items, they got a bit less "adequate".
I found that with the GX460 brake upgrade, I'm not feeling any improvement on initial bite with the brakes, but I'm also not getting any pulsating in the pedal as I did with my stock 470 brakes, which indicates I'm not warping my rotors.

People argue that steel braided brake likes and the 460 brakes aren't really an "upgrade", but they've been a good mod for me.

Running 35's required cutting and welding. I ran them with a body mount chop for a few months, but I'm now going to go with a body mount relocation after I came down on a rock and bent the factory body mount hardware, crushing the bushing. If I have to replace it, I might as well upgrade it.

Running 37's is all but guaranteed to require the Marlin Crawler RCLT kit which will cost a pretty penny, but absolutely transform your IFS suspension into something to compete with solid axle rigs.

With good tires and a locker, these trucks are pretty unstoppable!

I ran stock brakes with 35's, a fridge, sliders, full skids, RTT, front/rear bumpers, winch and drawers and with each of those items, they got a bit less "adequate".
I found that with the GX460 brake upgrade, I'm not feeling any improvement on initial bite with the brakes, but I'm also not getting any pulsating in the pedal as I did with my stock 470 brakes, which indicates I'm not warping my rotors.

People argue that steel braided brake likes and the 460 brakes aren't really an "upgrade", but they've been a good mod for me.

Running 35's required cutting and welding. I ran them with a body mount chop for a few months, but I'm now going to go with a body mount relocation after I came down on a rock and bent the factory body mount hardware, crushing the bushing. If I have to replace it, I might as well upgrade it.

Running 37's is all but guaranteed to require the Marlin Crawler RCLT kit which will cost a pretty penny, but absolutely transform your IFS suspension into something to compete with solid axle rigs.

With good tires and a locker, these trucks are pretty unstoppable!
Thanks for the information I'll look into the 460 brakes. I'll also check out the Marlin Crawler kit.

ML fix can be difficult, one option is to hide the OEM deck in the glove box (to retain the NAV and climate control function) where the 6-disc CD lives and then put in a new single DIN deck, but you have to run speaker wire from the new deck to all speakers. And you've probably read, ML is 8-ohm speakers, most car audio is 4-ohm. Most people seem to run 4-ohm replacements on their ML without issue, haven't read much on someone puttin gin a new 4-ohm deck for use with the OEM ML speakers, usually they drop in new speakers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom