New guy on the trails. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, new here to the forum . I've been driving a 1994 landcruiser for sometime now pushing 200k plus! I have just purchased a 2wd 2007 FJ cruiser with 160k miles and wanted to know your thoughts and opinions about driving a higher mileage 2wd FJ! So far so great as far the commuting. I am digging the Rwd switch up from our older cruiser but am afraid I will find myself stuck somewhere down the road without a lift or at least all terrain tires! None the less I am well looking forward to starting a nice build on these two gals over the years...
Thx for the read!

IMG_20170423_122136_260.jpg

IMG_20170423_104652_723.jpg

IMG_20170423_143711_651.jpg

IMG_20170423_122218_455.jpg

IMG_20170423_122136_260.jpg

I have just purchased a 2wd 2007 FJ cruiser with 160k miles and wanted to know your thoughts and opinions about driving a higher mileage 2wd FJ!

If it goes on the trails you want it to, that's all that matters. High mileage not a concern on either of those trucks.

For a 2wd rig I'd concern yourself with a good tire choice, air compressor, and recovery boards perhaps.

Staying lightweight will help you more than anything. I don't think an aftermarket suspension would be of much use.

For a 2wd rig I'd concern yourself with a good tire choice, air compressor, and recovery boards perhaps.

Staying lightweight will help you more than anything. I don't think an aftermarket suspension would be of much use.

Thx for the input Matt. Right now im happy with the stock clearance. Would a leveling kit do any good ? Not quite sure how much tire I will be able to fit. I'm looking into some all terrain nittos

I'd stick with stock suspension height and just go with stock tire size ATs.

spend the cash you saved on camping gear and creature comfort mods.

CBs are a nice addition.

Welcome and yes, as you can see it takes a lot to need 4 wheel drive on dry fire roads . You may consider airing down and carrying a compressor or CO2 tank to air-up. That makes a lot of difference in comfort on those roads. Plus you get extra grip. Several brands of deflators around, I use Staun solid brass deflators set at 14lbs. I now use CO2 to air-up since it is much faster than a compressor and cheap to reload the tanks. Enjoy that FJ.

Last edited:
Welcome and yes, as you can see it takes a lot to need 4 wheel drive on dry fire roads . You may consider airing down and carrying a compressor or CO2 tank to air-up. That makes a lot of difference in comfort on those roads. Plus you get extra grip. Several brands of deflators around, I use Staun solid brass deflators set at 14lbs. I now use CO2 to air-up since it is much faster than a compressor and cheap to reload the tanks. Enjoy that FJ.

I live in San Diego and will be taking frequent trips up to San Bernardino especially during the winter which is about a 2 hour drive up the freeway until I reach the trails. I like the CO2 option and may give that a go. Im guessing the only con would be storing the tank and packing less cargo. But if I really need the space I wouldn't mind saving some chips and getting my hands on a decent compressor. Can't wait to throw on some AT tires.Thx for the tips steel!

You aren't going to want to air down too far on street tires. That risks side wall punctures. I would not bother with CO2. Just get a decent compressor. Without oversize tires CO2 is pretty over kill. Just pack something like a vaiair 400 and call it good. You can have a heck of a lot of fun without needing 4wd. The stock clearance is pretty decent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom