New Guy Introduction - 97 LX450 in DFW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders :flipoff2:

New guy here, bought my first LC back around Christmas after searching for a few months and am just getting around to introducing my new-to-me 97 LX450 (no lockers). After my wife and I had our first child in March 2016, it only took me a couple months to decide I needed something bigger than my Saab 9-3. Started my search looking at 100's, 80's, and 3rd Gen 4Runners based on the rep of Mr. T and the fact that I wanted to pay cash. Didn't take long for me to decide I wanted an 80, even though it's not the most practical ride for me. I love the look of the 80 and MUD convinced me to learn to wrench on one. I've never been an offroader, but I grew up camping and want to turn this into a light expo build after a few years of DDing it, when my son is old enough to enjoy it.

Back to the 80 search - found the one I bought the week before Christmas after looking at a couple riskier 80s. The PO seemed like the type of PO you want to buy a 20 year old truck from - kept everything OEM and stock, kept meticulous maintenance records, and did 99% of the wrenching on it himself. Only shop that touched it during his ownership from 2009 to 2016 was Mike Dajda at Dajda-Do-Right in NRH (he's a LC guy), front axle/diff rebuild in Feb. 2016. He had just bought a LX470 the week before because he found a good deal and jumped on it.

PO was asking 5k for the LX450 with about 282k on the clock and original HG as far as he knew, he'd had it since 127k. He told me it needed a new brake MC but I test drove anyway - had to take the pedal to the floor to stop but everything else felt/sounded great. New leather on front seats but everything else was stock. We settled on 4,200 and I'd pay for the MC job (done by Dajda for 500 for OEM) and the PO threw in his FSM and LX450 Parts Catalog. No CEL at the time but P0133 came on during the drive home, he told me it had been intermittent.

During the first few months I just got to know the LX. My first car in high school was a LR Disco but had driven the 9-3 since 2010 so it took a little to get used to a heavy SUV but I loved it. First thing I did was change out the stock radio for a Pioneer FH-X731BT and swapped blown front speakers for Pioneer TSG1645R's. Sipped/leaked a little oil, about a quart every 1,000 or so, but that seems to have stopped since I did the first oil/filter job with Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 and YZZD3. It's thrown P0133 and P0140 intermittently but has always gone away after a couple trips. I've had some time this morning to get under the truck so I replaced upstream and downstream o2 sensors (Denso 234-4153 and 234-4157) and took off the running boards - it looks much more aggressive now.

Next on the PM list is rad/block/heater core flush and fill and to try to figure out P0401 before I have to do emissions in July. Getting a new EGR VSV and moving it out from under the intake manifold seems to be the best route, but I need to do some investigating of the various EGR parts.

In the future, I'd like to get some BFG KO2 285/75/r16's on the stock wheels, an OME 2-inch lift springs/shocks, and a front bumper. I really like Costa Fab's, the Slee Shortbus, and 4x4 Labs. Rear bumper is too much $$ to think about anytime soon, especially for my current use. Steering wheel could use some new leather but it doesn't bug me too much. Hood paint is kinda splotchy so I'm thinking about matte black-ing it, but not in any rush.

I'm sure I'll be bugging y'all soon enough. Enough yapping, here are some pics :flipoff2:

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3585.JPG

IMG_3586.JPG

Welcome. Nice to see someone else in the area. I have two 80's. Tandem Automotive in Ft Worth has done a bunch of stuff on mine. Bought both without lockers and now they both have Harrop elockers with the stock switch. I think they're better than factory lockers.

IMG_2812.JPG

IMG_2930.JPG

Thanks, always nice to know some more good shops around here. Are those 31's or 33's on the white 80 with the 3" OME? Did Tandem install the lift? If so, how much did it set you back installed?

Bought it with the lift. < 5k miles on tires and lift. Both trucks have BFG KO2's 285 16's. Basically 33".

@Scrootinizer - I just had five BFG KO2's 295/75-16s put on my '95 the other day ... gave me about 0.6" more tire height than 285s and the spare still fits in the stock location (apparently 315s won't fit in the spare's location). Costco of all places had the best deal on them - about $250 cheaper than the other tire shops for a set of five and only $14 more a tire than the 285s. I couldn't be happier with the tires or the guys at Costco in Duncanville - couple of fellow Toyota enthusiasts work in the tire shop that were good to talk to and even hit up the grease points while they were doing the tires. Pics are of the truck with stock suspension and the 295s. Haven't heard any rubbing whatsoever (albeit not much offroading yet).

full

full

Hmm. 295's look good. How far off is the speedo?

the speedo is off ~7.3% with the 295s (vs the 285s would be ~5.4% off). I thought it'd bother me but the benefit in lower highway RPMs is worth it. The engine is turning at the same RPMs at an indicated 70mph as it was w/ the factory 275/70s but the car is actually doing 75mph. And 70 vs 75mph on the highway around here isn't enough to warrant a ticket...and I really shouldn't be going faster than 75 in one of these things anyway.

Congrats on the LX450 and just fyi the Lone Star Cruiser club has a meeting every second Thursday of the month at Pappa's BBQ snd you will see plenty 80 series owners there if you want to hang out .

Joe

Joshau, thanks for the scoop on Costco, I'll definitely have to check there when I'm ready to pull the trigger on new rubber. My current tires (Michellin LTX) still probably have 30-40k left, so I'll probably have to be happy with them for a while longer. Those 295's look good on stock

Joe, thanks for info on the club - I did a bit of reading on the club page here on MUD and it looks like a pretty active group. I might have to join for a newbie run if I can convince the boss (wife).

the speedo is off ~7.3% with the 295s (vs the 285s would be ~5.4% off). I thought it'd bother me but the benefit in lower highway RPMs is worth it. The engine is turning at the same RPMs at an indicated 70mph as it was w/ the factory 275/70s but the car is actually doing 75mph. And 70 vs 75mph on the highway around here isn't enough to warrant a ticket...and I really shouldn't be going faster than 75 in one of these things anyway.
My 97 seems to run a bit better than the 94. Once I get it rolling I can set the cruise at 80 and watch the gas gauge move.

@Scrootinizer - I just had five BFG KO2's 295/75-16s put on my '95 the other day ... gave me about 0.6" more tire height than 285s and the spare still fits in the stock location (apparently 315s won't fit in the spare's location). Costco of all places had the best deal on them - about $250 cheaper than the other tire shops for a set of five and only $14 more a tire than the 285s. I couldn't be happier with the tires or the guys at Costco in Duncanville - couple of fellow Toyota enthusiasts work in the tire shop that were good to talk to and even hit up the grease points while they were doing the tires. Pics are of the truck with stock suspension and the 295s. Haven't heard any rubbing whatsoever (albeit not much offroading yet).

full

full
Super clean looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom