New FJ40 Owner in Tucson.. Hard top wanted as well... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there, well I went back and forth with that to get. I wanted an FJ but could afford a J@@p so that's what I bought. Then I found a good deal on an FJ and have them both with the other having to go as I can't stand driving it after a 40. I would like a top and doors for it so if anybody has those please let me know. Otherwise I would just like to meet a few other people in Tucson with an FJ to hang out, get advice or talk with. My email is sonoranfun(at)yahoo.com so drop me a line if you're in the area.

Welcome, glad you saw the obvious overbuilt toughness of the Cruiser compared to the Jeep.
What part of Tucson do you live? I have some sources for parts like tops and doors. I am also a mechanic so if you need some help....
Tell us more about your Cruiser.

Welcome aboard. You just missed a little get together we had down here in Tucson, and I do mean a little get together. :-(

I hope to get another going real soon. Keep your eyes on this forum and post away in the mean time.

For any parts you need on that FJ there is a guy out in Marana that has everything you need. His name is Tim Hill. He is also very knowledgeable and I have been going to him for advice since I bought my cruiser a couple years ago.

Any contact info for Tim Hill? Looking for front disc axle. Thx.

el_diabolico said:
Tim Hill 520-616-0304
My friend was interested in a disc front, I think Tim wanted 600.

You know a disc brake conversion is a little more expensive but you get brand new parts. Tim has a conversion kit that has wilwood calipers, and vented rotors. It's a pretty easy conversion. I put it on my 1970 FJ40 and I love it, I would suggest the conversion to anyone. Just something to think about.

I am going to do the axle swap this summer. I have a complete axle from a 1978. I had thought about doing the conversion, but I got a great deal on the axle which helped make up my mind on which way to go.

WOW! Okay, Tucson is dead in 90% of the forums I use so I figured I would check this in a week and there would be something. I'm happy to see there are a few of use in here. What happend is I bought the J@@p and liked it fine, got a kick out of how rough the damn thing is to drive. Everybody waving like you're in the yeah this isn't fun to drive on the road club and all. Anyway I was on my way home in the thing when I drove past a fellow that lives down the road from me with a 40. I figured I'd say hello and hoped he would sell it to me cheap.

I talked with him for awhile and he put this thing together part by part, had pictures of it torn down to the frame. It has a 2F in it, is in good shape and drive great. He offered it to me for $4,500 and I felt like it was a fair price. I figured I could get $3,500 out of my J@@p so it was worth $1,000 to move way up in quality or ride. That's the end of the story. I have one other friend with a bright Yellow FJ with a snorkle that you may have seen on the NW side of town. I'm basicly out in Marana as well. So if anybody is on this side of town drop me a line. I'll try to post pictures before too long.

Adam

Welcome to OZ! Good to see more people from Tucson on the board. :cheers:

I think I might have met your friend in a Target parking lot on the NW side. Nice 40, bright yellow with a snorkel.

Yeah he works over at Costco, doesn't say much, big guy but walks around like he hasn't slept this year. More a friend of a friend but none the less the only other person I know with a 40 in Tucson. I need to get some sorth of top for mine as I'm a sissy and don't like driving around with 115 degree sun beating on my ass. If any of you have anything better then the CJ7 too small top I have on it now let me know. Otherwise if you're going to be out some night this week drop me a line and we'll shoot the s***.

Adam

el_diabolico said:

Hi,
I'm getting ready to part out a 76 FJ40 in Chandler, Az. I sold the disc brake axle to woodsfj40 off a 78 fj40 I parted out last year. So I have a complete front disc axle including warn hubs $ 375.00 cash and carry. I also have a complete rear axle with Detroit locker. I also have a Downey swing out rack with two jerry cans and spare tire carrier. Dick Cepeck shocks. Rancho 4" lift and just a ton of other items. shot me a pm if you are interested in the front axle.

Thanks
Vic

sonoranfun said:
Hey there, well I went back and forth with that to get. I wanted an FJ but could afford a J@@p so that's what I bought. Then I found a good deal on an FJ and have them both with the other having to go as I can't stand driving it after a 40. I would like a top and doors for it so if anybody has those please let me know. Otherwise I would just like to meet a few other people in Tucson with an FJ to hang out, get advice or talk with. My email is sonoranfun(at)yahoo.com so drop me a line if you're in the area.

Hi,

I have a hard top and complete set of rust free doors in Chandler just up the road 60 miles. I'm getting ready to part out a 76 FJ40. I 'm not sure what year fj40 you have. 74 and back this setup isn't woth the hassle. 75 and up perfect fit. Drop me a pm if you are intersted.

Thanks
Vic

PM me when you're ready to part it out, I'll see if I can get up there to check it out. Thank you.

Hey Vic,

How have things been?

woodsfj40 said:
Hey Vic,

How have things been?

Hi Scott,
I'm a little down after selling my 1980 FJ40 a couple weeks ago. I picked up a nice 76 after buying the 2f motor. the guy tells me he's got the rest of the rig in his garage. The frame is hacked up from a poor chevy conversion. I still travel the southern states and justhaven't found that 82 or 83 FJ40 yet. I hope your doing fine and the front axle goes in smooth this summer. I was going to drop you a line about two months ago as I had to stay over for a few days. Pm me your phone when you get a chance. Oh if you are plannig on doing a knuckle rebuild let me know. I'ld be glad to help you with it if you need.

Thanks
Vic

el_diabolico said:
PM me when you're ready to part it out, I'll see if I can get up there to check it out. Thank you.

Hi,
I will do. I'm sorry I sold the front axle this morning to Tim Hill.

Thanks
Vic

Bruno AZ said:
Hi,
I will do. I'm sorry I sold the front axle this morning to Tim Hill.

Thanks
Vic

Thanks anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom