New CSC Member #532 Paul Pritts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Saddletramp

GOLD Star
Threads
Please welcome Paul ( @Sheppard ) to CopperStateCruisers

Paul has a 2014 5th Gen 4Runner 2” Bilstein 5100, with BFG KO2s and he has 1979 FJ40 mostly original with 2” OME springs, shocks & BFG KM2s

Please tell us more about yourself and how you use your rigs

Hi guys and thank you for the welcome!

I’ve been a bit of an over-landing buff since the mid 90s and enjoy seeking the road less traveled. You can usually find me at some remote location on the Mogollon rim in the summertime with my over-landing rig. I use my 2014 4Runner as my daily driver and tow vehicle but enjoy taking it off road and exploring AZ with my wife.

After 2 years of serious looking I finally purchased a 79 FJ40 (my childhood dream car) in April of this year and have been painstakingly going through it both mechanically and cosmetically bringing it back to its original glory. I’m the 3rd owner and its for the most part it was untouched and unmodified, a true survivor. It has spent its life in the southwest so It’s in very good condition overall. I’m looking forward to hitting the trails this her (still unnamed) this winter as soon as I have a few more things worked out.

Welcome aboard! Lots of 40 owners, drivers, restorers in this group, so you're in great company!

Love to see a pic of your 40, welcome

Love to see a pic of your 40, welcome
Here’s a few shots. I’ve done some additional work since these were taken but it’s coming along.
43F80DA0-8C2C-45F3-A09D-2FE4239B9A7D.jpeg
5FE8870F-64CC-4468-A0B5-88DB78F1B419.jpeg
4B09C10B-7A98-4154-B026-035EA237A9D6.jpeg
BA662D32-62B6-458C-B6E4-58282367140B.jpeg
9619519B-839E-41A3-95F7-87B9F48FD2E7.jpeg

Do you know what market your 79 is from? Assume it doesn't have a heater? Have a 79 that is certainly nowhere near as nice as yours. A work in progress. It's kept up on the Mogollon rim.
It does have a the original heater and it works well (missing the spring). I’m going to refreshing all the foam in the next few months for the winter.

It does have a the original heater and it works well (missing the spring). I’m going to refreshing all the foam in the next few months for the winter.

I was going off the vent in the center of the cowl that was dropped of heater models with the 77 model. 74-76 the vent was there by welded shut. It the vent functional?

I was going off the vent in the center of the cowl that was dropped of heater models with the 77 model. 74-76 the vent was there by welded shut. It the vent functional?
It all appears to be functioning including the vent. Maybe I’m not understanding your question? I’ll be at the next meeting in Tempe you are welcome to come take a look and see what’s there. Maybe I’m missing something and don’t know it which is entirely possible.

It all appears to be functioning including the vent. Maybe I’m not understanding your question? I’ll be at the next meeting in Tempe you are welcome to come take a look and see what’s there. Maybe I’m missing something and don’t know it which is entirely possible.

Was going by the US market FJ40s did not have operational vent after the 73 model. By 77 the whole thing was gone in markets with a heater. What is the model number on the on the plaque on the firewall. All FJ40s by 79 where hard tops. Model would start FJ40LV. The rest of the model number will give more information. There should also be a second plaque on the Driver's A pillar. Years ago when the other LC club was still around a member had a 79 from Central America. It was a soft top model that had a tailgate like that. The rounded lower corners on the tailgate started in 79 with the change in the tub. Those were never offered in the US. This could be added pretty easy. The vent in the cowl would be major mod to add. The top of the heater has a vent in it so would be no reason to add the one in the cowl. Adding a heater was be much easier to do.

This time of year am with my 79 up on the rim and won't be at a meeting any time soon.

Was going by the US market FJ40s did not have operational vent after the 73 model. By 77 the whole thing was gone in markets with a heater. What is the model number on the on the plaque on the firewall. All FJ40s by 79 where hard tops. Model would start FJ40LV. The rest of the model number will give more information. There should also be a second plaque on the Driver's A pillar. Years ago when the other LC club was still around a member had a 79 from Central America. It was a soft top model that had a tailgate like that. The rounded lower corners on the tailgate started in 79 with the change in the tub. Those were never offered in the US. This could be added pretty easy. The vent in the cowl would be major mod to add. The top of the heater has a vent in it so would be no reason to add the one in the cowl. Adding a heater was be much easier to do.

This time of year am with my 79 up on the rim and won't be at a meeting any time soon.
Ah I see your question. My 79 is a non-USA out of Saudi Arabia used by the military. It came into the southwest and traded hands once before I purchased it. I added the tailgate myself. I have updated a few things but remains untouched for the most part, original engine, trans, etc. It did originally come with a hard top from the factory with ambulance doors. I plan to add bows and a soft top at some point in the future along with AC.

Does it have a H41 verses H42? 4.11:1 diffs compared to 3.70:1 like the US had from 1/79-7/87? Does have a full or semi floating rear axle. Did it have 16" split rims or had someone already changed the rims/tires. Beige made me think Middle East but lack of OEM fog lights and chrome made me think maybe not. Military vehicle could explain that.

Does it have a H41 verses H42? 4.11:1 diffs compared to 3.70:1 like the US had from 1/79-7/87? Does have a full or semi floating rear axle. Did it have 16" split rims or had someone already changed the rims/tires. Beige made me think Middle East but lack of OEM fog lights and chrome made me think maybe not. Military vehicle could explain that.
I removed the chrome (bumpers were trashed), I have the original rear step but need to get it straightened. Rims were on it when I purchased it and it was prewired for fogs, still looking for a set of lights I like. As for the mechanicals I couldn’t tell you one way or another, Im guessing 3.70 on the gears based on behavior of the vehicle.

I removed the chrome (bumpers were trashed), I have the original rear step but need to get it straightened. Rims were on it when I purchased it and it was prewired for fogs, still looking for a set of lights I like. As for the mechanicals I couldn’t tell you one way or another, Im guessing 3.70 on the gears based on behavior of the vehicle.

Does have a Toyota plaque on the firewall? If so what is the trans/axle code? Middle East H41 and 4.11:1 were standard. US got 3.70:1 for better gas mileage which is not a concern in the Middle East. H41 has a lower first gear and better off pavement. H42 is a friendlier transmission for driving on pavement. If you look at the back of the rear axle can tell full floater or semi floating. Full floater does not have a removable cover was a semi does. Semi need to pull C clips in the diff to pull the axle shafts out.

Does have a Toyota plaque on the firewall? If so what is the trans/axle code? Middle East H41 and 4.11:1 were standard. US got 3.70:1 for better gas mileage which is not a concern in the Middle East. H41 has a lower first gear and better off pavement. H42 is a friendlier transmission for driving on pavement. If you look at the back of the rear axle can tell full floater or semi floating. Full floater does not have a removable cover was a semi does. Semi need to pull C clips in the diff to pull the axle shafts out.
Looks like H41 on the plaque see image below. Semi floating axle, thanks for the education! These were questions I had and no one to ask.
6C1587A6-1339-41C8-9EB0-52AF4465D45C.jpeg

I’ll be at the next meeting in Tempe you are welcome to come take a look and see what’s there.

Next meeting may not be at Tempe. Please stay tune for Sep meeting thread. I would hate to find out you end up hosting your own meeting at Tempe :)

Last edited:
Looks like H41 on the plaque see image below. Semi floating axle, thanks for the education! These were questions I had and no one to ask.
View attachment 2072699

Correct you have a H41 and 3.70:1 diff gears.

The break down on model

F is for six cylinder petrol
J is the letter for utility type vehicle
4 is for 40 series
0 is SWB petrol model
L is left hand drive
V is for Van a hard top model
K is for a four speed transmission
J is for roll bar
A is for American market

Your not having a J and A means it didn't come with a roll bar and is a general market vehicle. You 2F would have have all the US emissions. That means a earlier style air cleaner rather than a narrow oval air cleaner that was over the valve cover to make room for emission on the engine. With the wide jump seats that roll bar was most likely added by the PO here. Guessing that may be the case with the heater also. The factory fog lights are rather small (I have a few sets) and do not draw much wattage. Would suggest using a pilot relay if you plan and installing some higher wattage off road lights. Wouldn't trust 40 year old wiring to handle a load Wasn't meant for. As for A/C not sure a canvas top would work here that well. Planning a factory type A/C but also planning on beefing up the insulation in the cab to help. @murf has 82 with A/C that works well. But it's not factory and the cruiser is V8 powered. @LandCruiserPhil did the build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom