New Cruiser Day! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I"m a terrible person. My 2010 LC had some issues that we just weren't willing to deal with so I gave her up for adoption. Thread here. She'll be much happier with someone willing to spend the money and time to make it right, but I'm not in a position to be that person right now.

So we traded her in on a 2016 LC. Midnight Black with Terra Cotta interior, Icon suspension, Toyo OC M/T 285/75R17 on KMC Treks.

IMG_1037 2.jpg

First impressions:
The Icon stuff rides pretty nice on the highway but nosedives pretty hard under heavy braking. I"m contemplating upgrading to a CDCV system to get some compression tuning, or have them revalved if that's an option (still doing some homework on that).

The Toyo M/Ts aren't really my favorite but if you're into M/Ts they seem like a decent enough choice. They're not too loud and only a little chunky in steering feedback on the highway. I've been rolling BFG KO and KO2 for 25 years, and those would be my preferred choice for the kind of driving I do. But, the Toyos are pretty new and I hate to throw away good rubber, so I'll roll with it and get some use out of them.

PS - If one of you just traded this thing in on a new LX in Grapevine, please reach out to me via PM. I have some questions for you.

Congrats! That thing looks amazing with the blacked out grille surround.

What is the front spring rate on the Icons? Also keep in mind some dive is purely a function of the higher CoG. But yes the CDCVs seem interesting.

LOL...I didn't even realize the grille was "special" until you mentioned it. I guess the previous owner painted it. I don't see a blackout option as an OEM part. Whatever they did - I agree it looks great! The paint matches the body paint with the little blue sparkles.

I have no idea what spring rate on the Icons. I'll call Icon later and see if they can shed any light on it. The spring itself feels fine, it's just the low speed compression damping that seems a little on the light side. I do see some oily dirt buildup on the shock body and hardware, so it's possible they've leaked a little...not sure if that will greatly affect damping unless it was a total blowout.

I"m a terrible person. My 2010 LC had some issues that we just weren't willing to deal with so I gave her up for adoption. Thread here. She'll be much happier with someone willing to spend the money and time to make it right, but I'm not in a position to be that person right now.

So we traded her in on a 2016 LC. Midnight Black with Terra Cotta interior, Icon suspension, Toyo OC M/T 285/75R17 on KMC Treks.

View attachment 3197673

First impressions:
The Icon stuff rides pretty nice on the highway but nosedives pretty hard under heavy braking. I"m contemplating upgrading to a CDCV system to get some compression tuning, or have them revalved if that's an option (still doing some homework on that).

The Toyo M/Ts aren't really my favorite but if you're into M/Ts they seem like a decent enough choice. They're not too loud and only a little chunky in steering feedback on the highway. I've been rolling BFG KO and KO2 for 25 years, and those would be my preferred choice for the kind of driving I do. But, the Toyos are pretty new and I hate to throw away good rubber, so I'll roll with it and get some use out of them.

PS - If one of you just traded this thing in on a new LX in Grapevine, please reach out to me via PM. I have some questions for you.
Beautiful rig! Blackout on grill is really nice. Do the same to the door trim above rockers!

Do the same to the door trim above rockers!
I might if the grill ever needs to be repainted. I bought it like that and after realizing it wasn't stock, I inspected the grill pretty closely and noticed one spot starting to try to chip or flake off, so there may indeed be another round of paint in the future.

LOL...I didn't even realize the grille was "special" until you mentioned it. I guess the previous owner painted it. I don't see a blackout option as an OEM part. Whatever they did - I agree it looks great! The paint matches the body paint with the little blue sparkles.

I have no idea what spring rate on the Icons. I'll call Icon later and see if they can shed any light on it. The spring itself feels fine, it's just the low speed compression damping that seems a little on the light side. I do see some oily dirt buildup on the shock body and hardware, so it's possible they've leaked a little...not sure if that will greatly affect damping unless it was a total blowout.

Congrats, it looks great! I need to get around to have my trim painted as well, I am tired of the chrome. 100% guaranteed that the shock seals are blown, Icon is notorious for that.

100% guaranteed that the shock seals are blown, Icon is notorious for that.
Well that's unfortunate. I read up on Icon's service intervals and every 15,000 miles for mixed driving sounds awful to me. Does everyone just put their rig up on stands for two weeks to do this? Do you keep a spare set of shocks to put on while the others out for service? I don't think I'm going to like rebuildable "high end" shocks if it means I have to either have a spare set of shocks or a spare car. That's just ridiculous.

Beautiful LC! I’ve sworn off black vehicles, but yours looks great with the blacked out touches.

I have Icon Stage 6 with the CDCV and don’t get much brake dive—which matters to me as I have the weight of a heavy ARB Summit front bumper and winch up front. I’ve played with the compression dials and can create more dive (softer ride) or less dive (firmer ride)—which is perceptible.

I’m fairly new here and am thankful for the expertise shared on this forum.

Welcome again, and enjoy your new rig!

Well that's unfortunate. I read up on Icon's service intervals and every 15,000 miles for mixed driving sounds awful to me. Does everyone just put their rig up on stands for two weeks to do this? Do you keep a spare set of shocks to put on while the others out for service? I don't think I'm going to like rebuildable "high end" shocks if it means I have to either have a spare set of shocks or a spare car. That's just ridiculous.

I've heard of some keeping a spare set of shocks to run during the down time but that seems like a silly band-aide fix if you ask me. I'd consider different shocks altogether, that's what I did the last time I ran Icon stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom