VSC , 4LO, and Check Engine lights - Any DFW mechanics that you trust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted up in one of the other threads on the subject, but I now have new information on my situation. My 2010 LC started having intermittent VSC and 4LO lights coming on a few months ago. This week, they came on and stayed on, and it started driving poorly yesterday morning. I took it to the local Toyota dealer because I don't know any indy shops in the area and I'm not planning on staying in the area long enough to build any trust with one.

Dealer just called and said the lights are due to a misfire on #4, and the misfire on #4 is due to coolant in the cylinder. They haven't determined whether it's a cracked block, head, or just a bad gasket but "due to the age of the vehicle" they recommend replacing the engine with a rebuild instead of just a gasket job. That makes almost zero sense to me. The car only has 200k miles on it, and should be good for another 200k or more.

Would you insist on a gasket job (assuming that's all it is), or just go for a swap? Does anybody know of any DFW indy shops with LC knowledge?

We may be moving overseas at some point in the next year and want to take an LC with us. I was debating whether to upgrade to a newer model or just keep flogging this one since it has been rock solid until now.

IMG_0993.jpg

I just did an online chat with Davenport and the mechanic there also recommended engine swap. Dang it.

What proof do you have of coolant in a cylinder? The same code can be as simple as a bad coil pack.

Pictures. They borescoped it.

I'm still trying to get them to actually diagnose the problem, not the symptom. Is it a blown gasket or a cracked head, etc. They haven't answered that yet. The did call back and say they can't find any used engines, so I'm pretty much stuck with some kind of "fix" rather than a swap. Fingers crossed for just a blown gasket...

Pictures. They borescoped it.

I'm still trying to get them to actually diagnose the problem, not the symptom. Is it a blown gasket or a cracked head, etc. They haven't answered that yet. The did call back and say they can't find any used engines, so I'm pretty much stuck with some kind of "fix" rather than a swap. Fingers crossed for just a blown gasket...

I haven't looked recently, and I know used vehicle prices are up but people are still wrecking and having Tundra's and Sequoia's totaled. I can't imagine a good 3rd party shop can't find a used long block. That said, if you can find a solid shop in the area to check the block and heads, and if it really is just a set of gaskets, I'd like to keep my factory block and heads (if it was me, and if I hadn't had an issue with it overheating).

Also, I haven't used them but I was going to have Goode's check out a 200 series for me (but it sold before I could get an inspection lined up).

Update - We decided to cut our losses and trade the 2010 in for something else. But that's another thread... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom