New Comer Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lor

Threads
I am new to the FJ40. I would like to know if your cruiser shakes (like doors and glass etc.) a bit at 60+mph.

Also, could someone tell me the bolt size of the flywheel cover (looks like it) underneath (about bottom center of the truck)? Thanks.

Mine doesn't shake. Vibes can come from about a million places...loose components, driveshaft bad or mis-aligned, tires bad or out of balance, loose motor or tranny mounts...lots of stuff. Clutch inspection cover bolts are m6x1.00...

I would go balance the tires first, probably alot of your shaking problem. New door strikers and weather stripping can also help. If your running the hard top, there is a seal that should be between the top and the body. If that seal is missing it's pretty frickin' loud when you hit bumps.

Mine is smooth all the way to about 85mph and then it starts shake a little bit. This is probably because I run beadlocks that are difficult to balance for high speeds and I have never had my cruiser aligned on a rack.

I would start with your steering if it seems to be the root of the shake...

Along with that...tighten up your doors and eveything else mentioned above.

Mine vibrates from the super swampers that are on it, I had them balanced and that helped.. the biggest noise comes from the worn out window felt in my doors. They allow the window to move back and forth and squeek like crazy.. drives me nuts! The doors used to rattle at the catch plate, but I adjusted them and put in new door rubber like someone else mentioned. My rear tire carrier also rattles b/c of crappy hinges. Check all those things, I just live w/ it because it is part of driving a rediculously old 4x4. It aint moms new minivan you know.. :D

Mike

Several months after installing my lift in my old '76, it shook a hell of a lot on the highway. This turned out to be loosening of the u-bolts. Check-em and not only with a torque wrench, but jack the front of the cruiser up and wiggle the front axle back and forth while staring at the front end, if there loose you should see some movement (play). This can also be used to check for other loose things in the front end. :G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom