New clutch options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scrapdaddy

Standing on the corner
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Guys,

Thought I'd ask the hardcore group a clutch question. I'm running a 5.3 Chevy with an H55 transmission. I have a Centerforce pressure plate and disc, but would like to get another brand. Any opinions. The 5.3 is a 2004 and I'm using the AA bellhousing. Not a rock bouncer, just back road camping.

I've been a stick guy my whole life, have a 1 1/2 ton 5500 Dodge and a military Deuce, so I know what a clutch should feel like, but this one is extremely hard to push and I'm not sure it's disengaging right.

Opinions....

Thanks!

Last edited:
I tried two new masters and the slave is new, everything is new. No air in system. Just stumped at what is going on.

I have an LUK behind my 6.0 and it works well. Stock master and slave.

I had the same combo on a 40 like you with the same exact clutch. Clutch lasted me 3 wheeling seasons. Pads were almost gone to the rivets.
I purchased a custom clutch from south bend (Kevlar/ceramic) but didn't put it in use as project never happened. Have to dig for the paperwork to tell you what I exactly order, or you can buy it from me.....
All I can say is I will never buy a centerforce clutch again.....

Interesting, I was talking to Advanced Adapters about the problem and they told me to remove the little weights around the fingers. He said some people have had them get stuck and created a hard pedal. Centerforce never mentioned it and though it had to do with the AA bellhousing? Did you have a 5.3 motor?

Just stumped at what is going on.

Ron,

Your components themselves are going to have a bigger effect on pedal feel than the manufacture of the individual components.

A 3400 pound pressure plate is going to have a stiffer pedal than a 2800 pound pressure plate regardless of manufacture.

A 1.125” master will always have stiffer pedal than a .75 master regardless of manufacture.

I would revisit your components and see if your parts are optimized for your needs/wants, you could decrease the size of your master one size and gain some pedal travel and decrease felt force at the same time, or go down two sizes and multiply the effects.

(edit to add) it sounds to me that you like a longer softer pedal feel to the short hard feel you have now and yes a smaller diameter piston master will do that.

South Bend Clutch has a great reputation and when the time comes to replace mine that’s my next clutch.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've always enjoyed a good heavy clutch (hard), but this went beyond that. I talked to Centerforce and they pushed it off on Advanced Adapters and being misaligned. I talked to AA and the tech said they have had problems with the little weights on the fingers getting jammed in. They recommend cutting the weights off, said it will lighten the pedal feel and the weights are only for high rpm stuff, I won't need them. I did check to see and a couple were what I would call stuck. Got them loose and tried the clutch (without the trans. in) and it was easier, so maybe they're right.

I hate to gamble and try it then find out it didn't work and start over again. South Bend is a good clutch, have one in my Dodge, I think diesel only clutches.

Thanks Jim for your input, you always get me thinking.

I've run a centreforce clutch in my 40 for the past 6-7 years with stock master and slave cylinders and mines always been light on the pedal, its still got all the weights on the diaphragm fingers, the 2f clutch in my 70 series setup as a twin disc has a heavier feel than my centreforce

After talking to the Centerforce tech again, he said the weights can cause a problem with getting stuck which would cause a harder pedal. Something else came up and I'll admit I didn't do was grease the main shaft and pivot ball. Mine was totally dry and could of been sticking (dragging). I've removed the weights and when Georg gets done with the rebuild, I'll grease it up and see how it works.

One thing I noticed on the pressure plate was the name LUK, so LUK is making this Centerforce clutch, interesting.

I hate to gamble and try it then find out it didn't work and start over again. South Bend is a good clutch, have one in my Dodge, I think diesel only clutches.

FWIW I have a South Bend Clutch in my '96 Camaro Z28 and it is a nice piece. I would definitely use another South Bend over the Centerforce stuff. I had a Centerforce in my 2F powered FJ40 - quite frankly it was no different than the stock clutches I had in other Cruisers. Not worth the hype IMHO...

Nick

Nick,

Thanks for that, for some reason I thought South Bend just made diesel clutches. I went with a South Bend in my 5500 Dodge when I put the new flywheel in. Factory flywheel/clutch didn't last 15,000 miles and they don't warranty them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom