new cd player install- other elec. compnents not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
today i started in put my cd player in the 80. took off the dash to find my diff lock switch was disconnected.... took out the old cd player, connected up the one to make sure it did. came back a couple hours later connected the cd player to show my dad and now the cd player wont work at all, my clock stopped working and the dome light is out. all this seems to have happened at the same time. it there somethig i may have done. doesnt seem to be any blown fuses. i need help, Thanks

I loaded up a new deck last month and noticed the up light on the antenna switch is not working now..irritating :mad:

IT IS A FUSE FOR THE DOME/CLOCK CIRCUIT.

most modern cd players/head units have WAY too much current draw requirements for the factory cd unit wiring.

either run a fused wire from the battery to the cd's power input(cd unit will be powered all the time,hafta remember to turn off)
or get fancy and run a fused wire to a relay(20 amp,available at most auto parts)and activate the relay with the original cd's power wire(no large current demand for this operation)and then your new cd is on with the key as original.

the fuse is under the hood for the dome/clock circuit(i think,and yes i blew it too the first time i tried to hook up my Alpine)

doug

while that does sound logical can anyone second it. also thats weird that toyota's harness cant handle a certain amount of power but it does go along with the whole player just shutting off...

do you have any pics of the in stall? maybe of wires?
does the lexus use a diff harness for the stereo since the stock stereo in the lx450s it rated higher then the toyota?
how hard and what stereo did you install?

mike

no pics cept a blurry one of the deck(-B- said it was gonna hurt his retinas)but i first read of the dedicated power wire on an 80 series site and then experienced first hand when i did my Alpine install.
When you remove the stock deck,there was one plug that it used,along with two(2) others unused(that are used with aftermarket harness provide by stereo shop/circuit city etc)these two plugs bypass the factory amp but use the factory speakers BUT the wire that is keyed for the 12 volt + is a tiny(they all are)22 gauge wire and it will not operate a modern cd head unit correctly,trust me i tried it and blew the fuse!!
I then remembered the info about a dedicated 10 or 12 gauge 12 volt+ wire from the battery to supply the needed current for the cd head unit.
i ran a fused wire to the harness that i bought from circuit city and all was good except i kept leaving the cd unit on.
removed dash again and added a relay purchased at advance auto(for aux lights)i think it was 30 amp universal type,and used the relay to control the +12volt from the battery with the original keyed power wire and all was good.
now i just need to go back in there and put that +12volt wire on a terminal block so i can use it for other acc. here is the info from the web
One major tip when installing an aftermarket stereo is that you will want to wire in a separate power source not the factory one as it will pull too much power from the engine bay fuse that controls your factory alarm, interior lights,
factory clock, etc..
this quote from http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm see:section 3.10(aftermarket stereo's)

doug

If you install an aftermarket radio/CD player/tape deck I would make sure that the factory amp that is behind the right dash speaker is removed/unplugged. Failing to do so may damage your new head unit but definitely effect sound quality.

hey 96 cruiser, you talked about the fuses for the dome and clock being under the hood. i found in the box undere the hood the fuse for the dome but where is the fuse for the clock. thanks

It should be the same fuse,that circuit is the dome/clock/cigarette lighter and something else but im not sure(just got in from work,after a late nite out last nite).
Christo's newbie guide says the alarm(i never checked that when i was installing mine)but when i blew that fuse it was the interior(domes)lights and the clock for sure.

doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom