New AC parts into r12 retrofit 93 land cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
Sorry in advance. I searched but found many conflicting threads... Here is my situation.. I have a 93 cruiser with the old r12 system in tact.. Compressor is dead and system is completely dry. Over the years, I have collected a bunch of oem parts etc for all the junk cruisers I have and wanted to finally try and fix the ac in this 93.. I know people are going to say to just stick with the r12, but my compressor is dry and dead and I already have all these new parts just sitting in my garage. Just to confirm here are parts I have and just wanted to ask if this is enough to retrofit my r12 system to r134a or do I have to buy new ac hard lines? I was looking at the 2 systems r12 and r134a and it appears they use the same compressor and drier, but expansion valves are different numbers (denso). The only other difference I have seen is the location of the driers between both systems.. Here are the part numbers I have :
Denso Compressor 471-1166
Denso expansion valve 475-2002
Denso Drier 478-0107

So are these parts all I need to retrofit my old r12 system into r134a?

Last edited:
You’ll need compatible O-rings and a small bottle of PAG 46 oil. Here is the Toyota TSB I referred to when I overhauled and converted my early 93 to r134a.

Also got this o ring kit Amazon product ASIN B000C2O8V8and I am pretty sure the denso compressor unit comes prefilled? I have never opened the box to verify... So looking at the TSB you provided, do I need to get these quick disconnect fittings to place on top of compressor unit? Again, I have not opened box yet to see how unit looks like just got part number.. Thanks bro for reply..
88374–33030 7/16–20 UNF high pressure side Quick Disconnect Adaptor
88374–33040 7/16–20 UNF low pressure side L–shaped Service Fitting Adaptor
88374–33050 3/8–24 UNF high pressure side L–shaped Service Fitting Adaptor
88374–33060 7/16–20 UNF high pressure side L–shaped Service Fitting Adaptor

I bought a four seasons compressor at RockAuto and dumped the oil out of it because there is no way to know exactly how much oil the factory put in it. From memory, I believe that a sizable percentage of the oil should be put into the drier anyway.

You’ll have to open that compressor up and see how it’s configured. I’d assume that it has a blanking plate where the servicing manifold attaches because of their assumption that you will simply swap the manifold from your old compressor over to the new one. I bought the parts listed on the TSB.

No requirement to change anything other than the drier and compressor and adding the R134a adapters and what @baldilocks said.
When R134a was first introduced, it was a common belief that everything had to be swapped out due to the differences between the refrigerant and oil used. In reality, the mineral based refrigerant oil used in R12 systems coated the inner surfaces, and created a barrier that negated any of the original concerns with compatibility. Most important thing, is to pull a long deep vacuum in your case to draw out all that moisture if the system has been “dry” for an extended period.

I bought a four seasons compressor at RockAuto and dumped the oil out of it because there is no way to know exactly how much oil the factory put in it. From memory, I believe that a sizable percentage of the oil should be put into the drier anyway.

You’ll have to open that compressor up and see how it’s configured. I’d assume that it has a blanking plate where the servicing manifold attaches because of their assumption that you will simply swap the manifold from your old compressor over to the new one. I bought the parts listed on the TSB.

No requirement to change anything other than the drier and compressor and adding the R134a adapters and what @baldilocks said.
When R134a was first introduced, it was a common belief that everything had to be swapped out due to the differences between the refrigerant and oil used. In reality, the mineral based refrigerant oil used in R12 systems coated the inner surfaces, and created a barrier that negated any of the original concerns with compatibility. Most important thing, is to pull a long deep vacuum in your case to draw out all that moisture if the system has been “dry” for an extended period.

Thanks for the reply guys. I tried searching on line for the adapters, but the 4 part numbers listed are coming up empty.

88374–33060 7/16–20 UNF high pressure side L–shaped Service Fitting Adapt

There is another part number on the TSB that states it's a set (it's available)? Confused..
88840–33020 R134a Retrofit Labels and Adaptors Set. Is this the set I need that comes with all the individual adaptors listed above?

Thanks for the reply guys. I tried searching on line for the adapters, but the 4 part numbers listed are coming up empty.

88374–33060 7/16–20 UNF high pressure side L–shaped Service Fitting Adapt

There is another part number on the TSB that states it's a set (it's available)? Confused..
88840–33020 R134a Retrofit Labels and Adaptors Set. Is this the set I need that comes with all the individual adaptors listed above?
I can’t remember that far back. Have you called a dealership parts department to ask about these part numbers? If these parts are no longer available the next best thing would be to get ahold of a used compressor and remove the adapters from it.

The Lexus ES/SC/LS bulletin lists the 88840–33020 as follows:

1665079521967.png

I think the kit is something like this one.

1665079601682.png

Last edited:
The Denso compressor is prefilled. Just install it.
Your dealership will have the O-rings you need. Tell them you need both sizes, if the parts guys don't know which ones to give you; the mechanics know which ones to use. I tried using that O-ring kit you bought, without success, and gave up, drove to the dealership and they handed them to me.

I can’t remember that far back. Have you called a dealership parts department to ask about these part numbers? If these parts are no longer available the next best thing would be to get ahold of a used compressor and remove the adapters from it.
Dealerships around my neck of the woods are pretty useless.. I pretty much always do my research and pass the numbers along to them when I do use them for parts..

The Lexus ES/SC/LS bulletin lists the 88840–33020 as follows:

View attachment 3133540

I think the kit is something like this one.

View attachment 3133541
So, I guess I gotta order the 88840-33020 kit along with the High and Low Pressure Fitting Adaptors 88374-33040 & 88374-33050 and should be set..

So, I guess I gotta order the 88840-33020 kit along with the High and Low Pressure Fitting Adaptors 88374-33040 & 88374-33050 and should be set..

I'm not sure but I think the L's are only needed if you don't have clearance. On my SC, the high pressure fitting is high enough that if I installed the service fitting by itself it may contact the hood when closed. The L could be used to keep it lower profile.

That’s what I meant; call the dealership with your part numbers in hand. That’s the only way I order from them when I do order small stuff from the dealer. Saving them the time garners me a 15% discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom