New -80, maybe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just wanted to run this by you guys. I test drove a 91' 80 with just under 109,000. Everything seemed to be fine w/ the LC mech. They are asking 6900 for the truck. Very clean outside and inside other than a few minor interior issues.

New tires, cold AC, sun roof, rear sliding windows, third row seats. 4x4 seems to work fine, no lift

Performance I would expect from an I-

It does have a diff lock that engages when in low range ( I assume this is the same as a locker, any info?)

I am thinking I can get the truck for just under 6000. Sound resonable or should I keep looking.

Sorry, No pics, I am going to talk to the wife. If she is "OK" with it I may try to get it for an extended test drive over the weekend.

I would not pay more than $4-5000 for the best of conditions 80 series from either 1991 or 1992.

In my mind it's too much for the 3FE motor powered 80. For $6k it would really have to be built. Lift, 35's, Gears, lockers, ARB's, etc...

Center locker is like a typical 4wd transfer case. the "lockers" we normally speak of are located in the axles, front and rear.

To much for an FJ80, even with that mileage. I would'nt pay more than $4k. 91-92 LC did not come with lockers, what you are seeing as Doc, mentioned is for the center diff. locker. Again, to much money keep looking.

I have a 72 fj-40 SOA, pwr strg, ausie front/rear, 350/sm420 built by myself. I know my way around.

What is the diff lock button do? Isn't the tcase geared or chain so it is solid front to back when in 4x4. Mech they can't "slip" so I guess I don't understand.

I agree with the others it overpriced.

And not to be rude but if 'you know your way around' why ask us for input? :confused:

phlyfish said:
What is the diff lock button do? Isn't the tcase geared or chain so it is solid front to back when in 4x4. Mech they can't "slip" so I guess I don't understand.

It goes from full time all wheel drive to a locked (50/50) four wheel drive... like a Chevy NP203 in a late 70's 1/2 ton but a lot better.

Thanks guys, I was thinking it may be overpriced. Now I understand the center lock option. Not to bew rude, I asked for input on a vehicle I don't know. I would consider this doing research before making a purchase, one of the reason I am on this board and have been since it was pretty much just -40's.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys, I am going to keep looking or make a lowball offer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom