New 60 owner questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
I acquired a, 84' FJ-60 in a partial trade for an old Series Land Rover. While my wife it a little cranky with me, I feel pretty good about owning a Toyota again. It will be nice to find parts locally for at least one of my vehicles. Previously I have owned a 40, 2-55's, and a 80, so I no what to expect out of this vehicle. I do have a couple of questions and any advise is greatly appreciated.

First, this truck runs fine, but a little sluggish especially in second. It does not want to start with out depressing the accelerator at starting. I suspect that the accelerator pump may be worn. Granted I have not done the obvious checks of yet, I do suspect something in fuel delivery. Any thoughts on the original carbs?

Second, one of the wheels has a pretty good wow in it and I would like to replace it. Never been a big fan of the chrome units and was wondering if the offset it different than the standard gray steel wheels used on the pick-ups of that era.

I look forward to being a part of the forum again and your thought are much appreciated.

Regards,
Lee

Well, here goes...

Here's the standard cold start procedure for an FJ60 with the factory carb, with everything in perfect working order:
1. Pull the choke all the way out.
2. Pump the pedal to the floor twice.
3. Start the engine.
4. Disengage the choke once the engine has run for 10-20 seconds.
5. Enjoy!

My old cruiser, which is hardly in the best shape, takes more like 4-10 pumps of the pedal, especially when the temperature is at 30 or below, and I haven't driven it in 24+ hours.

For a warm start, I push the pedal down ever so slightly when I turn the key, and it usually fires on the first turn :cheers:

Now, as for wheels...

- The stock wheels are 15x6 with 3.5" of backspacing
- More than around 3.75" of backspacing (depending on the design of the wheel) will rub on the tie rod ends and calipers on the front end.
- It's really hard to find 3.5" backspacing on most wheels.
- If you're not going to get bigger tires, you should consider painting or powder coating the stock wheels. They look dang nice in black.
- If you want old, solid-axle-era toyota pickup wheels, I'm pretty sure they have similar backspacing. The newer (86+) pickups with IFS front hubs have way too much backspacing. Just make sure you find 15x6 ones, not the much less practical 15x5.5 wheels that were on some minitrucks as well as FJ40s.

Thanks Felix,
That sound about right and the procedure works fine. New things to get used to! The real issue though is the feeling that it seems to loose power once I reach 2,000 RPM especially in second. It feels almost as if it is starved for fuel. Premature in my posting as I plan to do a full tune up tonight to rule out ignition. Found another wheel, so I will take your advise and paint them black. I had hope to just drive this thing and not look at it as a passive restore project, but I am afraid I am getting sucked in. Thanks again for you post.
Regards,
Lee

W/your tune up I would adjust your valves & install a new fuel filter. Either or both could be your problem.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom