New 2023 toyota sequoia, hmmm. Anyone thinking of trading in for one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sad truth, indeed. I was disappointed to see the 300 lost the split tailgate. It seems toyota doesn’t care about what the US TLC drivers care about… the. Again we’re a small lot in their realm.

I mean the the sequoia has CarPlay… and now the tailgate is one piece on both.

Oh well, driving my 100 and 200 until the wheels fall off or until toyota comes to their senses and brings that 300 with the diesel v6 turbo I keep reading about.

I have a 2021 sequoia I bought in December of 2020. Absolutely love the thing, but I wish that 2021 was the last model year before the refresh instead of 2022 being the same as the 2021.

I was looking for 21/22 sequoias, but they look out of stock nationwide. Between the 23 and the chip shortage it looks low stock this year.
In MA there are at least a handful. Be willing to travel or have them shipped, they are not out of stock, just not a ton of them around.
I have a 2021 sequoia I bought in December of 2020. Absolutely love the thing, but I wish that 2021 was the last model year before the refresh instead of 2022 being the same as the 2021.
I bought my 2021 a few months ago and also love it and am surprised at how much I do honestly. Why the wish for last model year? For 10 years from now at resale? I don't think it'll make a difference as these trucks have been basically the same for a decade, which is a large factor in my purchase decision. I like the reliability and simplicity/straightforwardness of the layout. In fact, I bought mine this year with the fear that next year there would either be no Sequoia or it would be the new whiz-bang drivetrain which I did not want to rely on as opposed to the tried and true [but thirsty] 5.7L

Maybe time to upgrade my 1991 LC...............................................

Update the axles & get an E-rod motor pkg (legal swap in Cali) — otherwise, leave it alone.

I still love my 80, no desire to let it outta my sight ;)

With an owned-since-new 2nd gen sequoia in the stable, It would honestly take a lot to make the move to a 2023 sequoia attractive. I mean can it really get that much better? There is nothing I can complain about with that vehicle. Using soft to touch materials on the instrument panel and dash would be nice, but that just wasn't the norm back in 2010. Also zero steering feel, but that means no fatigue. Independent airbag suspension for a silky smooth highway ride, a fold flat third row comfortable for adults, heated middle row, 2wd,4wd, center diff lock. The 5.7 v8 makes passing on single lane roads stress free at 90+ mph, coupled with radar cruise control it's designed for long road trips.

Cosmetically, I'd love to retro-fit those led headlights from the later models, but I'm not a very vain person(if owning a sequoia in first place didn't tell you that already)

Last edited:
The 5.7 v8 makes passing on single lane roads stress free at 90+ mph, coupled with radar cruise control it's designed for long road trips.

Cosmetically, I'd love to retro-fit those led headlights from the later models, but I'm not a very vain person(if owning a sequoia in first place didn't tell you that already)

Same - I’m not real clear on engine options, but I think I heard smaller displacement/turbo as the trend.

I hate anything 1st yr, essentially it’s still being debugged by the public IMO.

——— As for headlights, IDK if you mean those LED ghost rings, or the functiong LED bulbs.

I put Lucas LED’s in my ‘12 stock HL housings, and it’s well over expectations - I’m amazed I never get ‘hi-beamed’ by oncoming traffic, they are that good & the focus/pattern looks great from behind the wheel & must not ‘bloom’ at oncoming traffic, as bright as they are.

I almost don’t see much help from my Vision X’s in the bumper, save I run a spot lense on the inner set, and they throw a very tight beam some 500’+.

I wrote up my bulbs, they were ~$150 but are far better than a friend’s Amazon ones for ~$60.

Mine are the mid-tier Lucas of the 3 tiers. Came highly recco’d by a buddy who manages a car stereo/gear shop & all that jazz they offer now.

HTH - I’m W/ you, in fact next mod will be the Sequoia TC into my Tundra to add the CDL feature. Up here that’s waaaay more practical than a supercharger or such.

Same - I’m not real clear on engine options, but I think I heard smaller displacement/turbo as the trend.

I hate anything 1st yr, essentially it’s still being debugged by the public IMO.

——— As for headlights, IDK if you mean those LED ghost rings, or the functiong LED bulbs.

I put Lucas LED’s in my ‘12 stock HL housings, and it’s well over expectations - I’m amazed I never get ‘hi-beamed’ by oncoming traffic, they are that good & the focus/pattern looks great from behind the wheel & must not ‘bloom’ at oncoming traffic, as bright as they are.

I almost don’t see much help from my Vision X’s in the bumper, save I run a spot lense on the inner set, and they throw a very tight beam some 500’+.

I wrote up my bulbs, they were ~$150 but are far better than a friend’s Amazon ones for ~$60.

Mine are the mid-tier Lucas of the 3 tiers. Came highly recco’d by a buddy who manages a car stereo/gear shop & all that jazz they offer now.

HTH - I’m W/ you, in fact next mod will be the Sequoia TC into my Tundra to add the CDL feature. Up here that’s waaaay more practical than a supercharger or such.
I suppose I mean the led DRLs from the 2018+ sequoias, Just for the modern look. While the 5.7 V8 is not simple compared to past Toyota engines, everything is just getting more complicated in a hurry. Twin turbo, while I'm sure Toyota does it very well and reliably, just adds more points to have to look at when diagnosing an issue.

+1

I’ll give it awhile (if at all, barely 80K on my 3UR) - let the turbo truck prove out.

Not that I doubt it, I had a 22RTE truck, and Turbo MR2’s & esp Turbo Supras - I bet ‘Yota has that handled.

That said, I’d still rather a J-VIN’d turbo like the 300 (I hear just the Lexus will be USDM) - If they freight all the motors as crate units from Japan that would go a long way to peace of mind.

Honestly the engine is the least of my worries for being built in USA. The guys here have proven their merit with how many tundras/tacomas/seqouias are getting into the high mileage with no issues. It's all the other stuff I would want the Japanese to be following through with.

With an owned-since-new 2nd gen sequoia in the stable, It would honestly take a lot to make the move to a 2023 sequoia attractive. I mean can it really get that much better? There is nothing I can complain about with that vehicle. Using soft to touch materials on the instrument panel and dash would be nice, but that just wasn't the norm back in 2010. Also zero steering feel, but that means no fatigue. Independent airbag suspension for a silky smooth highway ride, a fold flat third row comfortable for adults, heated middle row, 2wd,4wd, center diff lock. The 5.7 v8 makes passing on single lane roads stress free at 90+ mph, coupled with radar cruise control it's designed for long road trips.

Have you had any issues with the air suspension? I have a 21 with the air suspension and I'm on a lot of gravel roads so I was wondering how yours has held up since you've owned it since new.

Have you had any issues with the air suspension? I have a 21 with the air suspension and I'm on a lot of gravel roads so I was wondering how yours has held up since you've owned it since new.
11 years and nothing to report. I’m sure something will go out eventually, and I’ll fix it and keep moving. Haven’t even really looked into what fails or how it all works.

11 years and nothing to report. I’m sure something will go out eventually, and I’ll fix it and keep moving. Haven’t even really looked into what fails or how it all works.
Awesome. I figured if I had to go with a car that had air suspension, I'll take a toyota. Glad to hear it.

The TT V6 is being produced in Alabama.

Given the details of the powertrain, I’m interested in hearing more TBH.
Hope the motor proves reliable to say the 200-250K range.

Esp if that motor / trans is small enough to fit into a 80 series compartment. :idea:

I’d need more info on the info supposed AWD (and if the drivelines would fit) -or where you need to convert back to 80 say the TC or what.

Also, amazing what that the blacked grill & not burgundy does for cosmetic appeal to me.

The burgundy / chrome grill that has made Youtube does less than nothing for me - this one is real decent.

If the 10sp isn’t hunting gears constantly / towing say over passes it hunts to the point of overheating - then maybe this is more win than I initially thought.

I mention the overheat as the 6sp of the Tundra does hunt quit a bit & you end up shifting manually to kill the gear-hunting.

—Really in the right color (black IMO) & the black grill wouldn’t stand out.

— And when Depo makes some tinted taillights, on a black Tundra they wouldn’t look so cartoonish.

I’m alot more interested in the TRD Pro / whatever all trim levels they release the Crawl control, ditch the chrome & add a trans temp guage to the cluster & it could be real interesting to see one in person. Hopefully that info screen doesn’t block forward vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom