Nerf bars, sliders, differences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Ladies,
Long time reader, first time poster.
Mangled my OEM step rails (as you might well imagine), and was wondering what the general concensus/opinions on:

A: cheap nerf bars
ebay, see link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...33650QQitemZ8010147393QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Or,

B: something along the lines of the Slee products, which seem extremely cool as well, but a lot more expensive.

Anyway, thanks for all the input and good times. :)

The Slee sliders are 3/16" thick and mount to the frame in three locations to distribute stress. They will take the brunt of an impact (the type that mangled your OEM steps) and retain their shape and strength.

Those eBay nerf bars are only 1/16" tubing and mount in two places with cheesy mounts. They are good helping the wifey get in with a skirt on but if you impact anything with them off road they are likely to bend into your rocker panels and do MORE damage than if you had nothing at all. They offer a false sense of security and severely limit ground clearance.

There is really two ways to look at it. I do believe this has been discussed before so I recommend performing a search.
One. Do you offroad your vehicle enough to warrant Sliders? You might since you damaged your running boards?
Two. I offroad mine enough that it has saved my hind quarters :rolleyes: so the sliders are great for that, but its the additional benifits I have found to be the most useful for everyday practice. I have had my truck ran into by a little Civic here in town. Sliders Won!! So saved me insurance woes of having to deal with the minor dings you get from living downtown.
If you don't care about above two then go ahead and get the nerf bars. However, if you are like me I would think of it as an investment protection. Buy now just in case you want to get crazy :grinpimp:

monteburns said:
Hi Ladies,
Long time reader, first time poster.

The question asked makes the 'long time reader' part extremelly suspect. :rolleyes:

monteburns said:
A: cheap nerf bars

nerf bars = damage multipliers

FAQ exists for a reason as does the search function

On second thought are you Junk in disguise trying to :censor: me off?

reffug said:
FAQ exists for a reason as does the search function

I thought you retired already. :flipoff2:

It's pretty much been answered by now, but the question I have for you is, "how often do you want to replace these steps?"

If you want a one-and-done solution, get sliders -- Slee (as you mentioned) has good ones, Hannaquality makes good ones, there are others too, but those two seem to be the more popular ones.

If you want to go cheap and replace them occasionally and run the risk of damaging your rocker panels when they break, go for the ones on ebay or similar.

It's up to you...pay once, or pay several times...either way, you'll pay.

Maybe my search capabilities suck, so we'll have to tune those up. I was also curious about the specific set that was on ebay, which you graciously answered. Methinks it would be better to save a buy the Slee set.

You just came up with the correct answer. Even a slip while doing some mild wheeling can do $$$$$ damage to the rockers. My slee sliders were the cheapest insurance I ever bought.
Cheers,
Sean
BTW- welcome and you will get comfortable searching after you get to know some of the terminology.

monteburns said:
Maybe my search capabilities suck, so we'll have to tune those up. I was also curious about the specific set that was on ebay, which you graciously answered. Methinks it would be better to save a buy the Slee set.

FWIW, there's a "sticky" on sliders...click here

covers the various options available to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom