Need your thoughts: Windshield Crack (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ever since I've owned my 06 LX470, I've noticed a slight ticking noise coming from the windshield. It has got annoying to the point that I had someone in my car with their seat belt off trying to figure out whats causing it. We could never pin point the noise, but it sounded like it was coming from somewhere near the top of the windshield.

Last Friday I was driving at to work at 5:30AM and I heard this noise again. It was around 50 degrees outside and there were no cars in front of me. Next thing I hear is a loud bang like my windshield broke/shattered. On the driver side, near the visor, I noticed cracks forming. I pulled over and ran my fingers on top of the cracks, but the glass is completely smooth. I can't feel any pits/scratches on the outside of the glass. If I run my fingernail on the scratch from the INSIDE of the car, I can feel the cracks.

I took the LX to the dealer and the service manager took a look at it and said he's never seen anything like this before. He took pictures to send to Lexus to see if they will cover it under warranty.

What do you think? Is this something that should be covered under warranty. If you notice in the third picture, the center crack is getting worse. Also, what you can't see in the pictures is the cracks that go all the way up to the edge of the windshield.
4658980100_b31029124b.jpg

4658981072_b81ae5636c.jpg

4658358353_2d1696b9ff.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4658981730_27e8116f04.jpg

Last edited:
They will probably end up offering a deep discount to have them install a new windshield.
I'd be surprised if they replace it under warranty- unless you buy allot of cars from Toyota/Lexus.

Impacted from within?

It certainly looks like it was impacted from the inside of the passenger cabin. Do you have anything hanging from the rearview mirror? This happen to me years ago, had something on the mirror and it hit the windshield during sudden braking. Most likely the dealer will give you a discount, but covering it 100% is really not a possibility IMHO. Good luck.

I have nothing hanging inside the LX and I was driving along with no sudden braking.

I got a call from the dealer today and they want me to drop off the LX. They haven't gotten an answer from Lexus but they are going to give me a loaner car. We'll see what they say.

I had that happen once before. The dealer told me that it due to summer temps and super high tolerances on build quality. I think it was on my nearly new 91 Explorer. I just remember my wife laughing at the guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom