Need to replenish the power steering fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is kind of an interesting topic… another method I dreamed up but never actually tried was just using the turkey baster method with engine off.
Once a month, suck all of the ATF out of the reservoir with a turkey baster - WITH ENGINE OFF - then fill back up with fresh ATF.

And you’re DONE.

Do that once a month (its so simple and fast) and you’ll never have to do a full flush as described by the FSM ever again.

This is kind of an interesting topic… another method I dreamed up but never actually tried was just using the turkey baster method with engine off.
Once a month, suck all of the ATF out of the reservoir with a turkey baster - WITH ENGINE OFF - then fill back up with fresh ATF.

And you’re DONE.

Do that once a month (its so simple and fast) and you’ll never have to do a full flush as described by the FSM ever again.
Honestly not a bad idea.

I had toyed with the idea of putting a parts store fuel filter in the return line too, but wondered if it would limit flow too much. Not knowing the flow rate and pressure in the return line, I decided against it. But I think a filter of some kind would be beneficial.

Edit: Then after a quick search I found this....

I wasn't happy with the speed of pumping out the old with the engine off so I got everything in place and my son behind the wheel and had him start it. I think you have to have 3 people, not 2, to do that as I could not keep up. Had him kill it twice as I flushed 3 quarts through and I did get some air in the system. I kept a solid flow going on my third quart and had him kill it while I was pouring steadily, capped the return with my finger and shoved the return line back on the bowl. In the end I dont thin I got a lot of air in, or at least flushed it with the last quart. All good and it looks like I got some dirty stuff out of there. Between steering, transfer, transmission and diffs I think I ended up taking 16 quarts of fluid up to autozone to be recycled. Fixed my belt squeal too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom