Need some input, possible new truck time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I love my 94 80 but the past 2 weekends we did the weekend warrior gig and hit chincoteage Va for one weekend and 1000 Islands this past weekend. Both times we took my fiance's 98 LX470 with 260k on it and I'm kinda hooked. Coming home from the 1000 Islands, we hit 20mpg with a cruising speed btwn 65-75ish, super comfy and just easy to drive. Drove my 94 to work this morning and she feels SLOW and is loud and just kind of meh (can't think of a better word). I'm getting a new exhaust on my truck next week so it doesn't sound like a tractor anymore but the allure of something that is smoother and a bit quicker is getting strong.

What should I do? My 94 is my 73rd vehicle, so I tend to not really hold on to things very long. I've had this one a bit over 2 years now.

My wife has 265K on her GX470 and it's had a few sniggles to repair, air bag, set., but it is awesome for the reasons you say. It's built on the Prada platform from overseas. We've had it offroad one time and folks with lockers were amazed at what it was capable of. We've used an M101 trailer with it on a pintle hook, I had a guy in Canada who owned a metal shop, he put an aluminum hinged top on his and mine, so it is secure and leakproof. We mostly use our 60 for camping though, for now. Love it, hey it's a Toyota!

I love my 94 80 but the past 2 weekends we did the weekend warrior gig and hit chincoteage Va for one weekend and 1000 Islands this past weekend. Both times we took my fiance's 98 LX470 with 260k on it and I'm kinda hooked. Coming home from the 1000 Islands, we hit 20mpg with a cruising speed btwn 65-75ish, super comfy and just easy to drive. Drove my 94 to work this morning and she feels SLOW and is loud and just kind of meh (can't think of a better word). I'm getting a new exhaust on my truck next week so it doesn't sound like a tractor anymore but the allure of something that is smoother and a bit quicker is getting strong.

What should I do? My 94 is my 73rd vehicle, so I tend to not really hold on to things very long. I've had this one a bit over 2 years now.
It's ok to have more then 1 toyota for different reasons. Many of us have daily drivers and our toy or toys. They don't get jelous even though we think they do.

Wow, 73 vehicles.. that caused me to take the time to do a head count. I’ve had 15 vehicles since my first purchase in 1974. I don’t count my first a 64 F-100 as it was registered to our farm so I didn’t really own it.
What should you do? As unimaginable as it would be for me to do, as I love driving mine, not only is it flat out cool, it handles a lot like a very large 6 wheel dump truck about 1/4 loaded, If you have the room, keep it, cause if you sell it, even though it’s #73, you’re gonna miss it and suffer big time from sellers remorse. I suffered deep remorse for 35 years after losing my # 4, which was a 40. I healed that remorse when I got my 80 many years ago. If you sell it, you’ll be flogging yourself for decades. ( tongue firmly in cheek)

As above, if you can keep it keep it. If you need to sell it, give it one good last ride and take some pics and move on. Of course this is coming from the guy that sold his 80 of 17 years 2 years ago and misses it to this day.... :^(

Wow, 73 vehicles.. that caused me to take the time to do a head count. I’ve had 15 vehicles since my first purchase in 1974. I don’t count my first a 64 F-100 as it was registered to our farm so I didn’t really own it.
What should you do? As unimaginable as it would be for me to do, as I love driving mine, not only is it flat out cool, it handles a lot like a very large 6 wheel dump truck about 1/4 loaded, If you have the room, keep it, cause if you sell it, even though it’s #73, you’re gonna miss it and suffer big time from sellers remorse. I suffered deep remorse for 35 years after losing my # 4, which was a 40. I healed that remorse when I got my 80 many years ago. If you sell it, you’ll be flogging yourself for decades. ( tongue firmly in cheek)

What Don said... I agree... remorse sucks.

Great cars and trucks aren't meant to be sold ... they are meant for 3 things imo:

1. To be passed down to a child or deserving family member
2. To be buried in instead of a casket
3. Used as a reason to build more garage space or possibly cause a divorce (I'm currently at the tipping point on this)

I don't need to sell it. I guess I should fix the little issues that are bugging me and go from there. In 95 the original owner had a high zoot Blaupunkt stereo installed and the installer hacked the wiring so the speakers aren't all functional, the exhaust leaks (getting fixed next week), windshield leaks and there is rust around the top edge of the windshield frame. There's also some rot just in front of the passenger rear wheel rocker area (not a big deal, yet). Overall, the truck is decent and by all means, a good example of an 80, I just need a day or two off to fall for the 80 again. Cushy new(er) truck lust is strong. I went through this years ago with my E30 when I wanted to buy the next generation 3 series. I kept the E30 and haven't had a minute of regret.

I love old Toyotas, but it sure is nice to drive a newer, better handling, faster one to work every day..

I am not a sentimental guy I guess. I've had a bunch of old Toyotas and enjoyed every one. I have lots of fond memories, but I don't miss them much. I am always looking for the next project - especially once rust arrives!

That's hilarious! This is a constant debate btwn me and :princess: She's a minimalist and I'm not. She always busts my balls when we pack for a trip and I pack my first aid kit (ER nurse is hard to shed) and an assortment of other meds. Oh well. At least she acknowledges the need for me to have a garage.

Me neither, it's all just "stuff".

It is. Last summer I let go of my old Raleigh Record racing bicycle. I bought it new in 1977. Odd, it was just a thing, don’t miss it hangin in my barn one bit. But a Landcruiser? Just a thing? Just stuff? Ah yea, George is right.

It is. Last summer I let go of my old Raleigh Record racing bicycle. I bought it new in 1977. Odd, it was just a thing, don’t miss it hangin in my barn one bit. But a Landcruiser? Just a thing? Just stuff? Ah yea, George is right.
Haha! Don't get me started on old bicycles! At the height of my disease, I had 27 bikes ranging from a 58 Raleigh to a 2011 Stumpjumper. All were ready to ride. I ended up culling the herd to my current group of 5, Surly Karate Monkey (mtb), Specialized FatBike (way fun!), Gunnar Crosshairs (all around fun bike to ride), Spectrum R. van Ingen special (built to my specifications from a pile of tubes) and my 81 Trek 710 (vintage road bike). All are keepers except the Trek... might be going soon.

My e30 and the 80 aren't going anywhere soon. Took the 80 offroad a bit Wednesday with my 3yo and she was having so much fun sitting in the front seat (no airbags) that it was contagious to me!

Took the 80 offroad a bit Wednesday with my 3yo and she was having so much fun sitting in the front seat

Kids like 80's!

Great cars and trucks aren't meant to be sold ... they are meant for 3 things imo:

3. Used as a reason to build more garage space or possibly cause a divorce (I'm currently at the tipping point on this)

Interesting you should bring up the casket idea. My SIL announced the other day that he'd make sure it happens for me.

I would add to your pass-down list "the one person on earth who has more DNA in your flawless (never cut, no rust, only mods that don't show) '83 FJ40 than you do"

So, after a complete new exhaust system (manifolds back), new O2 sensors and an appointment at a body shop to fix all the rust, new windshield etc, I love the truck again. Gehmans in Mohton (not the fanciest bends/welds but seems solid and no leaks. Also, incredibly reasonable! Under $700 for everything except O2 sensors) did the exhaust and man does it run great now! Sounds like an old industrial/military truck, little buzz but no drone at cruise. Fuel mileage is up from 11mpg to about 14mpg around town (minimal but still much improved) and overall power feels great. A/C fix and recharge on deck for the weekend, stereo repairs next week and appointment has been made for bodywork in early September. I figured, it'd be cheaper to fix all the issues bugging me than buy a new truck and start over.

IMG_20200715_181950.jpg
IMG_20200715_190731.jpg
IMG_20200715_182000.jpg
IMG_20200715_182025.jpg
IMG_20200718_153309.jpg
besides, if I keep my 80, I'll have money to buy this. The lack of cupholders sucks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom