Need some input on choosing lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok folks, I have got my PJ Dirt Grip tires installed, 285s. Yeah don't ask for pictures, cause I don't have any at this moment. Long story, my new PC is not hear yet (Fawkin Dell) and the cable guy ain't coming till tomorrow. Anyway, They are noisy (in a good sense :) ) and do have vibration at high speed (70+mph), I expected that much. So time for me to choose a lift kit. Wanted to get YOUR HIGHLY experienced input :). I am looking for 3 things: Articulation, Stabality and Clearance. I don't want too much lift, may be 4" but would like to start with 3". So here's what I am thinking:

Option 1: Get the MAF 3" delux kit + pan hard rods + Chrsito's front control arms.

Option 2: Simply get the 4" kit.

Option 3: YOUR 2 cents.

:D

If you going with the arms, I would get atleast J springs and L shocks, that will net you about 4" of lift depending on how much weight is on the truck. The long shocks allow much better flex.

If you want articulation, make sure to get L-shocks. I believe with 2.5 ome and L shocks you run the risk of unseating the coils. Get j-springs and you will be fine. IMO though, 285s and Js leave too much space in the wheel well.

IMHO, The front controll arms are a terribly expensive add on for just 3 or 4" of lift. They are probably not needed. Or worse you run the risk of over correcting the castor and (perhaps) throwing your front pinion angle off.
If you're interested in the 3-4 inch range, consider just going with the OME J spring with L shocks. It's realitively cheap; easy to do and proven. Some people have gotten by with out caster correction, while others have needed the correction bushings. And if needed, you could even step up the the castor correction plates that Christo sells -- lots will depend on your truck and how much weight you're dragging around (bumpers, winch sliders, ect.) Add in the DIY weld in joints for the panhards to center your axles (if you want) and you'll have a great lift.

Hmm.. I thought the MAF 3" delux kit comes with J springs and L shocks :confused:. So after front + rear bumpers, tire carrier, sliders and winch how much lift I would have with the J springs? As far as I understand, "by default" you would need some sort of caster correction for any lift taller than 2.5" and adjustable pan hard rods :confused: . I want 3" or 4" after all the weight, sorry, I should have mentioned that. Anyway, that's why I was considering a parmanent solution (front control arms) for the castors and centering the axles (adjustable pan hard rods).

Mine only has an ARB front. With Js and a 1.5" front spacer it sits just over 5" higher than stock. The OME bushings are not enough correction on my junk. The springs are about 250lb per inch, so 500lb of load on one end will sag that end about one inch?

Tools R Us said:
Mine only has an ARB front. With Js and a 1.5" front spacer it sits just over 5" higher than stock. The OME bushings are not enough correction on my junk.

That was my original idea. I have been studying, listening, researching and looking at my current stock suspension. The bushings really don't seem like they can be a or any cure to the problem. That is also why I was looking into the control arms. Yes they are expensive, I am sure there's a reason for that.

my first comment is that your lift ambitions do not correspond to your tire size. You would have gotten a better 4" of extra height from where you are now by getting 315's, new gears and an OME heavy lift instead (maybe with a front spacer), and you would have less handling and suspension issues than you are going to get from what you now have in mind. I don't really understand 285s on a lift over 3". Your axles are still going to be down right where mine are with my medium lift :D

if you want to do it then J's and Ls probably makes the most sense. Having said that, looking at the travel of various shocks recommended by their manufacturers for 2" lifts, I am not convinced that you need Ls with J springs.

i would avoid the ordering your caster solution (whatever it is) until you have the lift in let it settle and have measured what your new caster is. I wish someone had told me that before I put in my lift. I now have a set of ome bushings I am not likely to use. They are spendy.

semlin said:
my first comment is that your lift ambitions do not correspond to your tire size. You would have gotten a better 4" of extra height from where you are now by getting 315's, new gears and an OME heavy lift instead (maybe with a front spacer), and you would have less handling and suspension issues than you are going to get from what you now have in mind. I don't really understand 285s on a lift over 3". Your axles are still going to be down right where mine are with my medium lift :D

if you want to do it then J's and Ls probably makes the most sense. Having said that, looking at the travel of various shocks recommended by their manufacturers for 2" lifts, I am not convinced that you need Ls with J springs.

i would avoid the ordering your caster solution (whatever it is) until you have the lift in let it settle and have measured what your new caster is. I wish someone had told me that before I put in my lift. I now have a set of ome bushings I am not likely to use. They are spendy.

I agree with the comment about 33's. To my eyes, my ride looks a little stupid with 33's and a 4" lift. However 33's are the outside limit for economical city driving and I do about 95% of my driving in the city. Besides, I already own them and have to use them up. :frown:

The bushings on my control arms are stock, but my casters are within tolerance and my ride drives very well so I also agree that it's better to wait until after a lift to determine if you need caster correction. They do have a hefty price and the installation is a job and a half. Further, it's kind of nice to pinpoint where you started to see where that expense took you.

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom