Need some info on the 22R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
It has been many years since I worked on Toyota trucks other than land cruiers.
Anyway , I got this 22r that I know it used to run.
I need few little questions answered as I already did a lot of search that answered a lot of other questions, thanks to the forum.
I am getting very close to firing the 22r,but missing a starter and ignition coil pack.
1-I plan to use one of the electronic igniters from an fj40. Do you agree?
2-What years starters should I look for ,or are they the same for ,22r and re?
3-On the carb , I am not sure on the idle fuel cut off what wire hooks to ground, the black or the white/blk?
And last one,
4-I am not keepimg any emission lines , only the pcv , and the lines from the distributor, any thougths on that?
Thanks in advance for any help ..
Vic

Last edited:
OK,
I have located an 86 2wd with 22re and I can take whatever parts I needed from that very cheap.
So far the igniter/coil works great.
I got the starter , slave cyl and a ps pump hopefully everything goes will.
Thanks for any feeedback.

The lines to the distributor are for vacuum advance. The 22r has a dual diaphragm vacuum advance and it runs pretty crappy if its not connected.

Not sure on the wiring for the fuel cut-off solenoid. Can check on mine when I get back to Dallas on Monday, if you haven't found the info before then.

The lines to the distributor are for vacuum advance. The 22r has a dual diaphragm vacuum advance and it runs pretty ****py if its not connected.

Not sure on the wiring for the fuel cut-off solenoid. Can check on mine when I get back to Dallas on Monday, if you haven't found the info before then.
Thanks Bob,
I knew I had to keep the V advance lines. I just wanted to simplify it . I don't need to worry about any inspections.
I wired the black to positive on fuel cut off (idle solenoid) and it worked.
It starts everytime without even a full crank turn.
I got to move to wiring the alternator and regulator.
This 22r has an ext regulator and I find it to be adablabe to the fj40 wiring. So it should be straight up.
I definately want an amp meter and , temp gauge and oil gauge.
I still need few items (air breather), exhaust and atleast a front oil seal.
Then I can move on to gearing it up as low as I can afford.
It is very fast with the stock 4sp and case, and 47" tiree.
I might have to go with an sm420 , and set 4.7 gears for the case.
Duals will be nice ,but I may not have the room .
So I will be asking for more help when I get to gearing.
Thanks...
Edit;
I know we all like to see pics ,so here is a pic of my transfer case mount before I had it all completed and also a pic from the rear.
transfer2.jpg
tract3.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, that is too cool! More pics, please! Is that going to be a 4WD tractor or a buggy or what?
This is supposed to be more like a 4wd tractor.
I started on it about 2 years ago.
I used a 2F drivetrain in first ,but it was too much regear and heavy in the front plus a friend wanted the 2f drivetrain so I sold that 2f and stared few weeks ago installing the 22r which actually fits better and be easier to regear.
I had to get some work done on the garage to be able to weld so I didn't get to work on it for a close to 1.5 years.
Now I am back at it again till something else comes up which usually does.
It is kinda messy r now , so I will post some pics once I get it cleaned up some.
I just had to get going to see how it works with the 22r and 4 speed.
Thanks for the comment..

I made this video of it this morning, It was overcast.
YouTube - Home made tractor prat 3
It is in lo gear , still too fast.
55:1 is the final ratio.
I will be doing some thinking of how to go about gearing.
1-I can buy an sm420 one with a pto . This is more appealing .
2-I can buy a double , I have few spare cases.
3- or just get a lower gear set of the case.
any ideas?

I want to say stay Toyota, but something deep inside me is screaming PTO PTO PTO!!!! How low is the SM420? If you're at 55:1 then a 4.7 set would put you to 113:1 and a second stock case would put you at 125:1 :cheers:
Thanks bud,
I would like to stay with the toyota stuff since I have 2 more tranies.

But the sm 420 has a 7.05:1 ratio for first gear , pto that turns with input shaft and as tuff as they come.
I can buy one complete with the pto dirt cheap .
The 420 will get me 99:1 with stock case ratio and if needed , could get the lower gear set and get 204:1 .
The pto is what i need since my plan is to puit a front end loader and a 3pt hitch.
I have a bell housing for a 20r tp the l43 and the piece that bolts the l43 to transfer case . these might come handy for making the adapters for the sm 420.
OTT industries selll a kitt to use the 420 I might just buy one, if the shipping is not that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom