Need Some Assistance From My Fellow Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so am not sure if I am explaining this correctly or not but I am having charging issues with my Optima Red Top. I think the battery may be bad. I trickle charge it for about 24 hrs or so (the light changes from "charging" to "charged". Truck will start and run fine for a while but I think the alternator may be going out. I did the "test" for the alternator and disco'd the pos battery cable while running and it died. The dealer had said that the alternator belt needed to be replaced as I noted in my initial post of this thread. Could that be the issue or do I need to get a new alternator. The alternator is only a couple of years old (bought at O'Reilly's in Dallas). Also, I've noticed that my 80 is idling really low in the cold weather and wanting to die. I poured warm water over the radiator and jumped it and it cranked up and the temp gauge started to rise to "normal" range. I limped her home last night and got her in the garage. I was also concerned that the coolant may have gotten to cold and "slushy" from the extreme cold we have had lately in addition to the leaky H2O pump and hoses. I topped off the radiator and reservoir with straight anti-freeze not 50/50 to be sure.

My question is, could low idle and wanting to die be related to the battery just being bad? I have another battery that I carry with me for jump starting just in case (I know, straight up hillbilly style). Or could the low idle have to do with the H2O pump and the pour mix of antifreeze?

I appreciate all of your help and will see you all in a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to getting my old girl running smoothly and appreciate all of your generosity.

One last thing, I probably need to change the tranny fluid and transfer case fluid too if anyone is feeling up for it during the Tech Day!

Thanks again everyone. I am getting the hoses and belts ordered Mon or Tues. Does anyone have a recommendation where to get them? I've always gotten my parts (with exception of the alternator) from Butler Toyota (they've been decent to work with).

Jeff :cheers::clap:

Don't know for sure bout the parts, but Jamie @ Beck Toyota has always treated me right.

Low voltage could very well be a part of the idle issue computer controlled engines need proper voltage for fuel pressure & for the computer

Don't EVER disconnect the battery on a computer controlled car while the car is running. That test is for cars back when they had 35A alternators and mechanical regulators.

Your computers all just took a huge hit of unregulated voltage at maximum amperage with no battery to smooth it out. They really don't like that.

Put a voltmeter on the battery while it's running. If the charge is above 12.6V the alternator is working. It should be between 13.5-14.5.

The computer will be reset when the battery is low. It will cause your idle speed to be strange until it re-learns the engine. Tony is also right. The computer and fuel pump both need to see above 12V to run properly.

yadda, yadda, yadda Tony is also right blah, blah, blah

Holy crap Batman- someone write down the date. Tony was right about something!:flipoff2:

As far as parts, you can go to O'brian Toyota and talk to Dave Sparks. He is the manager there and will give all TLCA members a 20% discount. Just show him your card and tell him Ron Featherston sent you. Same goes for anyone else who needs OEM parts. O'brian has a great parts department. If Dave isn't available, talk to my nephew Brandon. He knows his stuff too.

Thanks for the insight. The alternator test was done by accident when tightening the positive battery cable. I just took my Red Top Optima to Interstate Batteries and they are charging it and checking it out for now and gave me a loaner battery. He checked the alternator and said he thought the alternator was going bad or voltage regulator (which he said is probably within the alternator). I have no idea about this but I replaced the alternator a year or so ago. Also replaced the negative battery cable about 6 mos ago.

My understanding is that there are two different alternators (80 & 90 amp). Does it matter which one I get? Anyone have one laying around that they want to part with that is in working condition?

And Tech Day is the 16th correct? I saw on the Hoosier Cruiser website that it is the 17th but on here it says 16th. Let me know so I can call in sick to work that day! :clap::flipoff2:

Thanks.

So, yes, I do have an 80 Amp Alternator. I purchased it at O'Reilly Auto Parts in April of 2007 and it has a Lifetime Warranty (non of the Toyota Dealers had one in stock and I needed it that day). I'm going to buy the alternator and then take back the old one and get the refund. My only concern is that they then say that it isn't failing even though it is. Hopefully we (and I use the term "we" loosely since most of you Hoosiers will be doing the work while I get in the way "helping") can do this on Tech Day too.

So hopefully this is good news.

In the meantime am I doing any damage by rotating two batteries (charging one and using it and keeping the fully charged spare in the truck with me and swapping them out when it won't crank enough to start the truck?)

Oh, and while I'm at it, anyone have a windshield washer fluid reservoir laying around. Mine is cracked so when you pour windshield washer fluid in it, it pours straight out. I replaced both the front and rear pumps a few years ago but have used the "'ol water bottle" windshield washer fluid since. Yes, I know, ghetto but its working.:hillbilly:

In the meantime am I doing any damage by rotating two batteries (charging one and using it and keeping the fully charged spare in the truck with me and swapping them out when it won't crank enough to start the truck?)

You wont be the first person to do it. Your batteries will hate you! And im sure the ecu doesnt like sub 10 volts. It may cause your sensors to misread things. But Id be surprised if you caused any real permanent damage to the vehicle.

Jeff,

Getting the water pump and gasket tomorrow.

Tech Day/Gun Day getting closer....

Johnny is going to bring his 40 down for the event.
He got his 4" sua lift & 35s on it now....Looks sweet.

Cruiser Jimmy,

You Rock! Thank you very much. I've got the alternator (O'Reilly's Warranteed out the old one so I just have to take the old one back after we take it out) but it does appear that the alternator belt is loose so I could see that. I just went ahead and ordered everything they recommended and am picking them up today.

I ordered the inner and outer seals for the front axle on both sides. They said only the right inner one is leaking but if we are able to do all of them that would be great. I also don't need the washer fluid reservoir, it was the rubber gasket at the washer pump motor. I just replaced both motors (front and back). The back one doesn't work but not a huge deal at least the reservoir isn't leaking now. :clap:

I have kept the old washer pump motors and they both work, I think, but just need new gaskets so those are up for grabs to anyone.

Is it a big deal to drain the transmission and replace the fluid while we are at it? And what about the transfer case? Neither of these have been done in a LONG time and I was told that the inner seal will be causing the transmission fluid to be leaking but that doesn't make sense to me since the tranny fluid is red and the inner seal is leaking black grease that has turned to black oil. Anyway, I will be there Saturday A.M.

I'm bringing a tray of eggs, bacon, tortillas and stuff for breakfast tacos (mother-in-law is a freakin' amazing chef).

Thanks again for all of the help from the Hoosier Cruisers! Eliminating this stress from my life will be a huge relief. My family and I cannot thank you all enough for all of your generosity!

Jeff

I picked up all of the parts today from Butler Toyota. I had bought all of my parts from Lincoln up there before I moved to Texas and he has always taken great care of me and hooked me up with wholesale pricing.

I'll pick up anti-freeze/coolant before Saturday too. Anyone know how many gallons I need and I've heard of guys running straight 100%? Suggestions welcome.

Also, if we are able to drain the tranny and fill it, how much tranny fluid will I need and any suggestions for a brand or anything.

I'm looking forward to not having to plug in my 80 like a damn, tree hugging, electric car and get her back to the gas guzzling beast she was meant to be. :flipoff2:

Thanks to everyone that has offered to help.

Special thanks to Cruiser Jimmy for the H2O Pump. I sincerely appreciate it. See you all Saturday.

Don't run 100% coolant. There is very little gain above 75% and you loose a lot of heat carrying capacity. 50% is good to -35. 75% is half again more expensive and only goes to -45. Do you have Toyota Red or domestic green in it? can't mix the two. If you want to change you have to do a complete flush and refill.
How many gallons depends on how empty you plan on making the system. If you drain the whole block you'll need three. Draining enough to do just the water pump you might be able to get away with two.

Trans fluid also depends if you're doing a drain and fill (maybe 4 quarts, although the manual says 2) or a pan drop and filter change. 6-8 quarts IIRC, although the manual calls for 11

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/79305-oil-recommendations-discussion-thread-faq.html

Hell, I can do a chicken, in fact I love doin chickens, I lost my virginity to a chicken, I remember it well. Ah, sweet, sweet chickens...

Fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom