Need parts for a troop carrier (newbie) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi:

Not exactly sure where to post this. I recently assumed responsibility of the motor pool section of a small organization. Part of the fleet is I believe 2 Landcruiser troop carriers RH drive from Australia. Surfing thru the net, I found a photo similar to what we have so I assumed them to be 78/79 series (11-seat). Both are in excellent working condition but sad to say, it was quite neglected in superficial maintenance (dents here and there and need to replace some knobs and mouldings). I was hoping someone could point me to a parts catalogue for said vehicle so I could order what I need from suppliers. Thanks.
BIL05Alo.jpg

I have some knobs and stuff here.

If you post your location, I'll post mine :)

Seriously, where are you at? If the rigs are from Aus likely your parts will be best sourced there as well. Australia is probably the world's biggest market for troopies. Here's a start...

http://www.donkyatt.com.au/

bolkow said:
Hi:

Not exactly sure where to post this. I recently assumed responsibility of the motor pool section of a small organization. Part of the fleet is I believe 2 Landcruiser troop carriers RH drive from Australia. Surfing thru the net, I found a photo similar to what we have so I assumed them to be 78/79 series (11-seat). Both are in excellent working condition but sad to say, it was quite neglected in superficial maintenance (dents here and there and need to replace some knobs and mouldings). I was hoping someone could point me to a parts catalogue for said vehicle so I could order what I need from suppliers. Thanks.

They should have all the information specific to your vehicles on the aluminium plate just forward of the drivers position ,in the engine bay.

This will give you the exact engine,gearbox ,diff,paint ,trim info that you will need to order the parts over the net.

We're at Port Au Prince, Haiti. We're part of the the UN Philippine peacekeeping force here. Said vehicles were part of what the Australian government donated to our country for our UN peacekeeping participation in East Timor at the turn of the millenium. We're still using it here.

During my surf thru the net, I found out that these models were the most capable 4x4s Toyota has ever produced. I intend to keep them that way thru maintenance. I desperately need a parts catalogue so I can order what we need.

We need to acquire the following (in layman's term since I don't have a catalogue):

- door lock mechanism assembly, rear LH & RH
- park brake assy
- hydrovac brake assy
- underchassis ball links, joints, ends, etc.

It would be a shame to junk these jewels so I intend to keep them in execellent working condition.
I've fallen for these machines so I think I might purchase one when I get back home.

If you are unsucessful we can possibly find you stuff at the wreckers in Central America.

Thanks for the help guys. Took roscoFJ73's advice and visited the UN motor workshop. Got what I need and then some.

bolkow said:
Thanks for the help guys. Took roscoFJ73's advice and visited the UN motor workshop. Got what I need and then some.

Its a pleasure:D

not to pry into your personal. but which country are you with? It would be interesting to hear more about your mission down there.

Also I would like to see your vehicles. Pics please

are they coil or leaf sprung on the front axle?

Like I said in post #4, I'm with the Philippine military contingent of the UN peacekeeping force. UN calls the whole mission MINUSTAH, it's a French acronym for "UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti".
For more info click Here
These Troopies are indispensable in our operations. Sorry, no pics yet. Will post some soon as I upload.

These cruisers have coil spring front suspension. They look exactly like the photo in the first post, except that ours have the UN letters on the front doors and hood. Said vehicles are East Timor veterans. Although a little beat up, they're still as tough as ever and in top running condition. Even the air conditioning still works, notwithstanding the abuse they've been thru. I really admire the Australian gov't for the donating these babies.

admire them all ya want, should be more into getting them back into north america, you can't buy tough truck like land cruisers over here anymore.

sorry just jealous

hey where are all the land cruiser pictures on your webpage?

Pics

OK no action shots but photos below show how our Troopies look like. Taken this morning.
Land Cruiser 2.JPG
Land Cruiser 3.JPG

Last edited:
are you the guy on the left or the right, or taking the picture?

its nice to hear someone taking pride in their equipment. I am used to up here where if they don't own it they abuse it.

I look after the maintenance on a small aircraft( which we take pride in) and I also look after a small fleet of trucks, mostly GM pickups( which the workers abuse badly).

You don't have to post any action photos, that may scare us.... no bullets eh!!! stay safe!

bolkow said:
OK no action shots but photos below show how our Troopies look like. Taken this morning.

coils suspension in front . ? there are pretty new .. maybe from 2002. With 5 in 5.5 bolt pattern .. ( yep .. I now .. to sad .. )

lowenbrau said:
I thought they gave up that style grill in about '93. Maybe just in the pickups.

Nice rigs!

I thought they went out in early 90 when the 1HZ was introduced.
Probably came from the Phillipines as a replacement for the plastic grill that falls to bits.

If anyone out there has spare 84-90 steel bezels,hang on to them or get some while they are still around.
I seen a pile at a fleamarket for ten bucks each recently.I got a funny feeling theyll be on ebay one day with a reserve of $600:eek:

Yes, the metal bezels stopped in 1/90. Someone told me (Dave?) the plastic ones tend to crack at the arms that bolt to the top of the radiator support.

Bolkow, would you check how they attached the lower two grille mounting bolts? These don't exactly line up when you transplant an older grille to the 78/79 series (and vice versa).

Thanks, Ross, I'll start hoarding the metal bezels :D

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom