Need new tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

trw

Threads
I need to put a couple of tires on the front of my 99' 100 series. Hoping to get some opinions on what is liked and why. I use the truck for everything from daily grocery getter to utility vehicle on a farm. We deal with a good bit of slick clay down my way, but I use it on the road too much to warrrant a mud terrain. It has michelin cross terrain on the front and michelin LTX M/S on the rear. Only had the truck since March so don't have any experience with different tires. I was considering either the BFG Rugged Trail T/A, BFG A/T, the Michelin Cross Terrain or LTX M/S. Sales guy pushes the michelin cross terrain. I figured the BFG A/T would be the best, but it is $20-30 more/tire than the michelin. Which is better as an overall tire for averall use and if its the BFG is it worth the extra $?

Thanks for any opinions
tom

Buy 4 matching tires. Full time 4WD is very un-happy with mis-matched tires.

I've been using BFG A/T's on Toyota 4WD's for 10 years and have never been disappointed with the on-road wear or off-road traction or in snow. I just bought an FJ80 and the previous owner had Michelin LTX A/T's on it. They are probably a bit more quiet than the BFG. I don't think you will be disappointed with the BFG and in my opinion they are worth every penny. My dos centavos.

From the reviews at tirerack.com the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's seem to be one of the best tires out. Reviewers claim they are great in snow and rain, have excellent tread wear, and ride smoothly. I just put on four 285/75/16's on my 94 LC and they look great. Can't tell you how they drive yet as I put them on this week. I got the tires at a local firestone/bridgestone dealer for 552.00 including tax (out the door price), which was better then I could find on the internet. Good luck.

TRW,

See the "transfer case with VC" thread generally, but specifically reply #37 to see what you're doing to your truck's drivetrain by not replacing all four. Who knows how long the previous owner's been doing this. Stop the madness...

Doug

I second the Bridgestone A/T Revo. I have been driving on them for about 6 months now and they are a really good all around tire. They do very well in light to moderate off road conditions and they are very nice on the road. No hydroplaning what-so-ever and the noise level is very low. I put stock size (275/70/16) back on because as of yet no other mods have been done to my 80. I think for the price they are the best tire you can get. I will be putting a set on my T100 as soon (and that's not long) as the Kelly AWRs I have wear out.

Also FWIW I have a friend that is running the REVO on his Duramax 4x4. He has had them on for about 45K and they still have at least 3/4" tread left and that is 98% on the road driving.

Ive been considering high load rated Yoko Geolanders for the wifey's mall cruiser...when the time comes to retire whats left of the stock Michys. Just had three of 4 michs. w/ 40k miles on them go out of round on my 96 Subaru legacy commuter car......

DLJ,

Which Michelins on the Sube? Have you ever had brake pulsation from your front rotors?

Doug

Doug,
Weatherwise Sports...from Sears of course....Sorry Dont know :-\
How does one know if he has brake pulsation....from his rotors?
Thanks

Brake pulsing is felt either as a wiggle in the steering wheel when braking, or an alternating strong/weak braking force that's pretty subtle - like there's a slight "catch" on the brake at a certain spot each revolution.

Subes are known for problem rotors and when this is happening, it is unevenly wearing the tires. They get faint flat spots at the same spot each revolution and it's permanent. Nearly all brakes - even good ones - have slight catches in them, which is one reason to follow a policy of rotating the tires regularly. This prevents tires from becoming permanently out of round as the braking catch is no longer wearing the same spot. I personally believe is the #1 reason tires develop vibration issues. Once these spots occur on the tire, they get worse and worse because of the physics of braking - absolutely nothing you can do except shave the rubber down and I doubt anyone offers this service other than a race shop.

That's why I asked. My Sube does this faintly and I've so far avoided the tire problem with aggressive rotating.

Doug

I had to go back and reread this -

[quote author=trw link=board=2;threadid=6838;start=msg56194#msg56194 date=1067375504]
I need to put a couple of tires on the front of my 99' 100 series. [/quote]

I second the "Stop the madness" quote - replace all 4 tires or you will be spending much more $$ to fix. By only replacing 2 tires you're only saving money for a little while and then the BIG BUCKs will start to flow.

read the VC thread as Doug pointed out.

If you buy 4 Revo's let us know. I'm interested in them as well.

Riley

Thanks Doug...that I have, would every 7k be aggressive enough?
Dave

I don't think 7k is aggressive enough. I do mine every 2 1/2 to 3k. Probably too much. But I get bored.

Dave,

I think the Sube's manual calls for rotation every 5k or 7k. So if you have a known brake pulsation that will cause this problem I'd say more like half that until you get the problem fixed, then back to normal rotation. On the 80, I don't think there's a schedule for the rotation in the manual, but look at the tire mfr's recommendation and you'll likely see a 5k to 10k interval. We switch summer/winter twice a year, plus I do one switch in the middle of each season on the Sube since it's got a faint pulsation. That would be aggressive to me - 4 times a year or about every 4k.

Doug

Had the Revos about a month. Love 'em. Haven't had them offroad much, but excellent on the highway, and no worries in the rain.

Love my Revos too. If you're interested in those I would go to a Bridgestone/Firestone store towards the end of the month. I talked with the sales mgr and got alot of savings so they could sneek in some more sales for the month. They are priced pretty close to the BFG AT KO unless you can get a good deal.

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6838;start=msg56227#msg56227 date=1067379836]
Buy 4 matching tires. Full time 4WD is very un-happy with mis-matched tires.
[/quote]

I agree, dangerous to mix tires. I have been running BFG AT/KO's for 40K miles still have 10/32's tread all around. Great tires in the snow.

Hello Pitbull and welcome to our little Land Cruiser portion of cyber space. Do you have a name or should we just call you Pit or Mister Bull?

:D

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom