Need Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I drove home from the meeting the other night everything was good, (all hwy 45miles) and when I pulled on my street it wanted to stall out. Now when I start it with the choke it will run and as I take the choke off it bogs and rpm’s drop to 200 and it stalls. I did not get fuel or change anything and figuring its a fuel or vacuum issue? Where should I start? Stock 86 FJ60.

Thanks
Gary

Start with the easy stuff, filters, plug wires firmly connected etc. Unusual for what you are describing to not be fuel delivery.

Are the choke and throttle cables still OK? Not loose at the carb for instance? Since you seem to be getting spark, it starts, etc. Does it run OK when you step on the gas, in other words off idle? Just thinking about some possibilities. If it runs OK off idle I'd check the choke, then the throttle, pull the air cleaner and make sure the choke and throttle plates are actually working as expected. Good luck.

Are the choke and throttle cables still OK? Not loose at the carb for instance? Since you seem to be getting spark, it starts, etc. Does it run OK when you step on the gas, in other words off idle? Just thinking about some possibilities. If it runs OK off idle I'd check the choke, then the throttle, pull the air cleaner and make sure the choke and throttle plates are actually working as expected. Good luck.

Choke cable is working and will only run with the choke on. It does rev when depressing the gas pedal but the rpm’s drop to 100-200 and then stall with the choke off.

So it's running too lean. Any air leaks around the base of the carb? Are the carb attachment nuts tight? If you have a propane torch, turn it on (don't light it) and pass it around the base if the carb. If it speeds up, there's your leak. Also could be the idle circuit in the carb. Is it the stock Aisin carb and likely not rebuilt or looked at? Maybe just clogged jets?

it also may be a weak of failing fuel pump or fuel filter. manually fill the fuel bowl and see if it runs like normal for a few minutes.

it also may be a weak of failing fuel pump or fuel filter. manually fill the fuel bowl and see if it runs like normal for a few minutes.

Good idea!

Does it have a transparent fuel filter? Easy deal to check that. Also very easy to swap it out.

Just because the filter is relatively new doesn’t mean it’s ok. If it’s clear you should be able to see the fuel flowing.

We chased this very issue last year with a friends 60, finally dropped the tank only to find a leaf blocking the pick up line.

It’s this style, it is darker than it was before. I just checked and don’t have a spare filter so will need to order another.

E2F2093F-445F-4732-9296-DD24D598CF9A.jpeg

Vacuum leak
Fuel filter
Failing fuel pump
A failing fuel pump is a bitch because you still see fuel moving in the filter, but it’s just not as much as it should be, I dicked around with one for a year before finally opening it up and seeing the small tear in them diaphragm.

Warped intake manifold leak?

Good Afternoon,

Have had little time due to weekend commitments and work but been working on it her and there. So I change the fuel filter even though it flowed. I’m still at the same runs with the choke on but as soon as it comes off RPM drop and if I turn the throttle or press the gas pedal it stalls out. I put some fuel in there but maybe not enough and still stalled out. Not sure if it is the fuel pump or something else. Might be in over my head here.

Looking at the pump up front it appears that it Was changed not that means it is still good but more concerning

Last edited:
I do not have any late 2F carburetors easy to access but do they not have a site glass to check fuel level? If so I would watch the sight glass to see what it is doing. Should be able maintain the current level if everything from the float to the tank is working correctly. When you fill the bowl in carburetor you need to remove the top of carburetor to fill the bowl not just the air cleaner.

I'd send a PM to trollhole I think he's the Aisin carb guru here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom