Need help with suspension install - yay! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As posted in the 80 section, I was able to pick up a J-lift and a set of 315s for my LX.

I have:
- 4 struts,
- 4 springs,
- 2 - Mr Gasket 3/4" or 1" spacers (not sure which size when compressed)
and the Slee caster correction plates.

Do I need anything else to install this lift immediately (I don't plan on wheeling for awhile, so if I can run it on pavement without certain items, I'll pick them up later)

We're supposed to be moving into a newer house in the next few months and I've already packed up the majority of my tools.

I'm hoping to find someone familiar with installing this lift, and maybe whichever tools will be needed and I can meet up with them and get some help with the install.

I already have the 315s on the truck.

Also, will a 315 BFG AT fit in the stock spare location until I get a rear bumper, or will I need to keep it inside?

IMG_0098.jpg

Hooray no suspension travel!

Hey Cody,

For the rear, the tools needed were 17mm and 14mm sockets with several extensions to bring the ratchet down below the frame rail. You may also need to remove a bolt on the bracket holding the brakeline. For the front, you will need a 19mm for the OME shocks. You'll need a wrench to remove the brakelines, you'll have to add a swaybar drop, lug wrench, a jack and jackstands, a long prybar may also come in handy.

These are all that I can remember at this time,
Mike

pb blaster the shock nuts a few days before you go at it, also the driver side top shock nut is a bitch since the master is in the way.

mike

The 315's will fit in the stock spare location. It does take a little work but it fits.

Nice avitar Juan ;);)

lexycrzy said:
The 315's will fit in the stock spare location. It does take a little work but it fits.

Depends on the trailer hitch, Rob's rubbed the panhard rod way to much.

You don't really want a tire hanging down there anyway if you intend to wheel at all.

-Spike

TWELVE tons? 24 thousand pounds? Times 4? Holy crap!

-Spike

I use 3 tonners, they are capable of keeping my rig 5-6 inches off the floor. I'd be askeered to put it higher! I thought you'd be advocating using the 12 tonners for capacity for some reason.

-Spike

ya know I had the 6 ton stands and they really scared me - after I did my lift I went to the 12 ton stands and they seem to be just a bit more solid when you are under the vehicle...

YMMV

Oh, I see, you're one of those sufferers of carmightfallonmephobia. I'm one of those guys suffering from itwon'thappentomeitis. :D

-Spike

Geez....ya try to get someone's help since you don't really know what you're doing and they tell ya to throw yourself into the project...

just kidding...sorta...

Like I said before, I'm pretty much outta tools since I have my garage already in storage and packed under other furniture and whatnot...

I know its probably asking for a lot, but if someone with tools feels like inviting me over and schooling a newbie in lift installation...help a brotha out!

-Spike- said:
Oh, I see, you're one of those sufferers of carmightfallonmephobia. I'm one of those guys suffering from itwon'thappentomeitis. :D

-Spike

yes I used to be imortal - now just careful

CodyRx7 said:
Geez....ya try to get someone's help since you don't really know what you're doing and they tell ya to throw yourself into the project...

just kidding...sorta...

Like I said before, I'm pretty much outta tools since I have my garage already in storage and packed under other furniture and whatnot...

I know its probably asking for a lot, but if someone with tools feels like inviting me over and schooling a newbie in lift installation...help a brotha out!

If ya wanna drive up to colorado ill help ya out, id give ya a hand but im here till mid sept and if your like mee id imagine you want the lift on now now now.

mike

CodyRx7 said:
...if someone with tools feels like inviting me over and schooling a newbie in lift installation...help a brotha out!

Normally I'd be your guy, but I have too many projects of my own ATM- like getting my house in a liveable condition. I'd offer to help in a month or two, but I know you don't want to wait that long. Sorry. :frown:

-Spike

Call me a Pu$$ but I don't do car projects in the summer, otherwise I would gladly help. I have a bunch of honey do's that I catch up on in the summer...you know it's a little hotter down here. One of these days I will have an AC in the garage.

Ahh yeah, I forgot you guys are in the boiling valley...

I might as well gather up whatever other odds and ends I need to complete the lift.

What else will I need besides the 4 springs, 4 shocks, 2 caster correction plates, and 2 spring spacers?

Does the J lift NEED the extended brake lines?

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom