Need help on my 97 LX 450-sound diagnose please (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, have a 97 lx 450; great condition with 177k miles; When I let off the gas, is making a slight grinding sound coming from what sounds like front driver side area; Its not a hissing sound; Just had knuckles redone; Almost sounds like something is rubbing, but why would it do it only when I let off the gas? Could use some guidance--thanks!

Dry spindle?

Your description of the sound is pretty vague.
Does this sound occur on deceleration or only on that sweet spot when she's coasting between acceleration and deceleration?
At what speed is it most noticeable?
More information is needed.

Your description of the sound is pretty vague.
Does this sound occur on deceleration or only on that sweet spot when she's coasting between acceleration and deceleration?
At what speed is it most noticeable?
More information is needed.
Ok and thanks--its noticeable at pretty much any speed; Its not super loud like some had described going over a shoulder on a highway thats graded; It really sounds like a rubbing sound; It only makes the sound on deceleration; Nothing when I am on the gas even a little bit. I am new to this so thanks very much!

Ok and thanks--its noticeable at pretty much any speed; Its not super loud like some had described going over a shoulder on a highway thats graded; It really sounds like a rubbing sound; It only makes the sound on deceleration; Nothing when I am on the gas even a little bit. I am new to this so thanks very much!
When you say, "any speed", can you reproduce the sound in your driveway without moving?
Does it happen at 10 mph or only at highway speeds?

When you say, "any speed", can you reproduce the sound in your driveway without moving?
Does it happen at 10 mph or only at highway speeds?
I think i would have to be going at least like 20 mph; don't think i can reproduce on my driveway; starts when i get up and am driving if that makes sense.

ok, when I start driving at a speed over say 10mph, and let off the accelerator, there is a rubbing sound--not really grinding, but more of a rubbing sound; Its audible from the cabin; it is not a hissing sound; It does not make that sound when I am on the gas at all. I have to be on the gas and going at least 10-15 mph though; not something that I can do in my driveway or while the vehicle is sitting. It is driving straight and trans seems totally normal. Sound appears to be coming from front driver side;

Well, I'm going to say it's impossible to diagnose accurately on an internet forum, but I'm sure lots of folks will throw guesses out at you.
I would put the front up on jack stands, and start having a closer look at things. If you are not comfortable doing that sort of thing, then I would find a competent mechanic in your area, or possibly contact one of the several Land Cruiser clubs in your area and have someone take a look for you.

I had a sound like this and it was a bad u-joint in the front drive shaft. If you want to see if that’s the problem you can remove it lock the cdl and drive it and see if it goes away. You’re in NOVA so you’re close @OTRAMM you could take it to there to get it checked out.

I had a sound like this and it was a bad u-joint in the front drive shaft. If you want to see if that’s the problem you can remove it lock the cdl and drive it and see if it goes away. You’re in NOVA so you’re close @OTRAMM you could take it to there to get it checked out.
Thank you very much--will go and take it there; How much did that U joint cost you about?

Thank you very much--will go and take it there; How much did that U joint cost you about?
Before you start pricing out parts, you might want to find out what's causing the noise first.

Am taking to a well respected mechanic in am-truck drives great-just this weird vibration like sound thats driving me nuts-thanks again for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom