Need help on a solar power system for a small irrigation trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I am looking for some recommendations on designing a basic solar charging system for a small utility trailer that we use at my work for irrigation. The cart is pulled by a turf gator or golf cart and can not be directly hooked up to a battery because many different carts can be used to pull the trailer. The irrigation cart is usually only used on hot sunny days so charging should not be a problem. Basically the cart has a 12V 4 amp motor that is powered by a battery that the hose reel can be rolled out or rolled in. There is a battery box that holds a group 27 marine battery and I was looking at getting the X2 from batteries plus for $359.00 to start with. There is no current way to charge the battery unless I bring it in and charge it overnight. The current battery that is used is just a starting battery, tests good, but does not last long as it is the wrong application.

There is a few large areas that solar panels could be permanently attached to the trailer. If there is any other recommendations on a system that could run other components as in outlets or usb ports, that may be helpful as well.

Thanks for any advise,

Sean

867E1A65-71DD-415E-876F-1193B78D5B74.jpeg

Should be easy to work out. A 100W panel is likely big enough for moderate motor usage, you'll need a suitable charge controller and that's it. $200 or $300 total. Connect the controller to the panel and to the battery, and done. If weight and starting are not a concern, a marine deep discharge lead acid 12V will do fine and is inexpensive. You can add USB outlets etc very easily after the fact. Some battery boxes are prewired for those. If you put the panel above the reel, you'll even protect the hose from UV.

True, a kit is easier. However, they are often cutting corners with those kits that won't be noticed at first by folks less familiar with the tech. For example, using polycrystalline instead of monocrystalline panels, PWM controllers instead of MPPT etc. Basically less-performing or less-efficient devices cuz less costly. It will work but the system will typically then be physically larger than a more efficient one. If space is no concern then it's no big deal.

I think the main thing you (OP) should do first is figure out how much energy and power you need to get the job done so you can size the panel properly. It will make a big difference if you pull the hose a few times a day or continuously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom