Need Help bought a BJ74 recently and there is no electrical power now (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Jumped in the cruiser this morning and when I put the key in I don't get any electrical power and can't get the engine to even turn. Batteries have voltage. Was planning on driving 20 hours starting a couple hours ago. It did rain a bunch a few days ago...

Engine fusible link near the positive battery terminal. It was a yellow wire on my FJ73. Can be replaced by any fusible wire of the same amperage.

Engine fusible link near the positive battery terminal. It was a yellow wire on my FJ73. Can be replaced by any fusible wire of the same amperage.

Yes, everything runs off the wire connected to the positive side of the battery---the battery that the starter cable goes to, which should be the one closest to the firewall

Greetings all, thank you all for your responses. Being a noob to the 24V system, I learned a few hours into trouble shooting that one weak battery is all it takes for there to be no electrical indications I'm guessing due to the electical bus requiring 24V, not 12V. When I was getting a jump we did not hook up the terminals across both batteries which I believe was the problem. Bought a new battery and drove the next 24 hours getting home. More questions to follow!

FYI, I have had to jump start my 24v Cruiser a few times. Always connected to a single battery, and always worked fine. So, it's no problem connecting to only one battery -- but you have to connect to the weak one!

If you ever drain both batteries down and you only have 12V vehicles around you have a few options, use boosters to charge one battery for 15 or 20 minutes from a running engine ( 13.8 to 15 V ) Then switch your booster cables to the other battery and you should be able to start her up. Always put your 2 cables to the same battery, never to the chassis ground as one batteries negative terminal is at +12V potential. Of course if you have two vehicles, each vehicle can boost one of the vehicles ( again don't let the two vehicles touch, there chassis will be at 12 V Difference potential, you will arc a nasty hole if there two bumpers were to touch) Lastly, these 24 Systems will give you far less problems if you replace you batteries as a matched pair. If you don't, you will be changing batteries for ever as one over charges, and the the other undercharges. ( I have been running 24 LC's for 20 years , and lived the pain )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom