Need help/advice – all 4 brake discs are heating up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

At the beginning sorry for my English – I am not from the US. Can you please help me with the following issue with my TLC HDJ100 1HZE-FTE:

Have you encountered a problem with all 4 brake discs/wheel hubs heating up? What could be the cause considering the following:

1. brakes, pistons, pads, etc working free and fine

2. handbrake does not lock

3. rear wheel discs are much hotter than a front - can't touch them

4. wheels spin normally, nothing rubs, etc.

5. no modification of braking system done - regularly serviced with branded parts

6. no frictions or noise - only brakes squeal when braking

7. master cylinder works normally, piston bounces, pressure, and fluid in the system ok

If this problem was on one wheel I would probably also look at the bearings (although nothing is howling and does not indicate wear), but all 4 wheels heat up at once (rear more than front). Would the bearings in each wheel be worn at the same time...?

I also did a stress test in the form of a few hard brakes from 60 mph to 0. The discs got hot but nothing was blocking the wheels - they spun slightly and normally.

Is anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Radzi0

What makes you think it is hotter than normal? Do you have a temperature gun like this one here, that you could monitor the temperatures?

Based on your testing it sounds like everything is OK. I would even say it's more than normal for a disc brake to be too hot to touch after driving. If they were getting red hot and like smoking that's a different story.

What makes you think it is hotter than normal? Do you have a temperature gun like this one here, that you could monitor the temperatures?

Based on your testing it sounds like everything is OK. I would even say it's more than normal for a disc brake to be too hot to touch after driving. If they were getting red hot and like smoking that's a different story.
Well, disc brakes are much hotter than on the other TLC j100 I've compared yesterday and you can smell burned brake pads (especially on the back wheels).

Besides that, the master cylinder and ABS work fine. Today I will flush the system and change rubber brake hoses to see if it will help.

Please feel free to advise if you have any other ideas.

Many thanks!

I can't touch any of my rotors after driving and braking, that sounds normal to me.

I can't touch any of my rotors after driving and braking, that sounds normal to me.
Agreed .

But the smell of burning brakes might hint towards something going on .

Sounds like OP has inspected everything pretty closely .

OP, did you check your pad hardware? Sometimes/oftentimes, the shims on the back of the pads get re-used, the tabs that hold the pads in the caliper can break off and this prevents the pad from being pulled away from the rotor correctly, leading to excessive pad to rotor contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom