Need frame help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,
I finally got one! I just bought my first curiser, a 1974 FJ40, last week and it needs lots of help :doh:. I've been trying to decide all week where to start and I change my mind every time I find something new... This cruiser has always lived in the rust belt as far as I can tell, so getting rid of the cancer is where I'm going to start.

The biggest issue I think I have with rust is on one spot on the frame where the front of the driver's side rear spring is attached. My question is this: I looks to me like I'm going to be cutting out the old and welding in some new metal. Has anyone here ever done that before? If so, any words of advice? It looks like I'll be re-doing the spring hanger in some fashion, so has anyone had to do that?? Thanks in advance!

Here are a couple of pics:

and another....

If I was in your shoes I'd get a replacement frame. There is too much relying on the frame to do too much repair especially where the running gear attach. Frame ends, OK, shock connections, maybe, spring hangers, no. If your work fails you could be dead! If a bumper falls off or a shock comes loose it's not the end of the world, but if your axles pass you on the interstate you've got a problem!

[quote author=cruiser_guy link=board=1;threadid=7316;start=msg61162#msg61162 date=1068478044]
If I was in your shoes I'd get a replacement frame. There is too much relying on the frame to do too much repair especially where the running gear attach. Frame ends, OK, shock connections, maybe, spring hangers, no. If your work fails you could be dead! If a bumper falls off or a shock comes loose it's not the end of the world, but if your axles pass you on the interstate you've got a problem!
[/quote]

Ditto, used frames are neither expensive or that hard to find.

What is your mechanical ability? and welding skills? what are
you going to use the cruiser for.

Those should be asked first,

replacement frame are reasonable if found close to your location. Time to strip and rebuild, blast, primer, paint, powdercoat, etc... is for ever.

While failer of the work is noted, I ask what happens when you do a SOA, or fj55 rear springs, or full width axles, all take a certain amount of work and failer could cause death. ShooT just putting on 33" tires on a stock rig could cause you to roll easier.

anyways depending on your skill, i say weld it, or have some else weld it, box it in if your not feeling safe enough. Saves time, unless your going for a stock restore show truck and all its going to be is a pampered trailer ass queen (yuck).

If frame is toast in many different places, then it justifys a replacement, stock or aftermarket, matkins.

Thanks for all the info...

What I'm hoping to do with this cruiser is make it a reliable toy....something that I can drive around town now and then and get good and muddy on the weekends. I'm really not interested in doing a full restore (especially concerning the body). I really just need something that's safe to drive around with my wife and kids and won't break in two pieces the first time I hit the trails.

I've never done any welding, but I have a good friend who does it for a living, so I'm really counting on that. :D (He seems to think that it can be fixed). As for replacement frames, my budget is limited, so a new frame is probably out of the question. If I go the "get a different frame route", where should I start looking? Junkyards? eBay? I live in the Cincnnati, OH area and have access to a trailer big enough to carry a vehicle, so a used frame might work out. Also, the build date on my FJ40 is 11/73, so can I use a frame from a later model FJ40?....or should I try and find one from the year? THANKS!

Look in the IH8MUD classifieds section - there is a guy in Columbus, Ohio giving away a frame and all you have to do is pick it up. He say's it needs some welding, but I can't imagine it looks as bad as the one in your pic.

That frame does look pretty bad alright. Thats not the usual spot for them to be bad. I'd suspect you will find some other problem areas as you go.
Depending on your skills and what you are willing to learn would guide the dirrection to go.

For some it would be a great opportunity to buy a good welder and start teaching yourself how to weld and fabricate. Skills very usefull for a cruiser owner.
For others it would be a call to Matkins and order a new frame.
You could also figure what its going to cost and time involved and balance that with just finding another whole rig with a more serviceable frame.

The rear of the frame on my 77 was also badly roached. I had Mark Whately weld it up while I was replacing the tub. It's now much stronger than ever.

If your frame is that bad one can only wonder about the tub.

i've always been taught that you should never weld a frame?

I sold my 79 fj40 frame for $50. They rarely rust out before the rest of the truck, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one. I'd look elsewhere if they charge you over $250 for a great shape frame. I thought 50 was fair for mine.

[quote author=stretch link=board=1;threadid=7316;start=msg61366#msg61366 date=1068505402]
i've always been taught that you should never weld a frame?
[/quote]

As long as you know what you are doing with a welder, LC frames are fine to weld.

Cheers,

tp

The majority of Shackle Reversals on LC are welded. This is a '71 project I am working on. Finishing up the shackle reversal. I also did the SR on my trail truck, and it has been to hell and back without any frame issues.

Cheers,

tp

Yeah.... I think I'm going to get the tub / cowl off, then try and make the decision whether to weld or look for another frame. (My buddy says he can weld a gnats a$$ shut, so he's not worried about repairing it....of course he's not going to be driving it either!) The same part of the frame on the passenger side looks MUCH better, so who knows what I'll find when the tub comes off. I'm hoping nothing but good steel! ::)

One more question... Is the tub/cowl one piece on a 1973? I haven't started pulling it off yet, but it looks to be one piece. Just curious.

THANKS to all for the replies. You've given me good info and some options to think about!

[quote author=JasonFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=7316;start=msg61522#msg61522 date=1068524571]
Is the tub/cowl one piece on a 1973? I haven't started pulling it off yet, but it looks to be one piece. Just curious.
[/quote]

Yes

Cheers,

tp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom