1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need another reason for a snorkle?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Bob_Garrett, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Bob_Garrett

Bob_Garrett

How about an average of 30 deg F reduction in intake air temp? That's what I found when comparing my truck (w/snorkle) to a friends truck (w/o snorkle). The data on the air temp was taken using the intake air temperature (IAT) data from the OBD2 port. Hwy speeds were 55-70 and city was 0-45.

Ambient temp: 95-97 deg F

My truck 95 w/snorkle
    Hwy IAT: 106-111 deg F
    City: 115-126

Friends truck 97-no snorkle (factory air intake)
    Hwy IAT: 127-140 deg F
    City: 147-156

Highest temps for both trucks were when we were stopped in traffic. The only difference in the 2 rigs is that his coolant temp (as measured by the OBD2) is about 5 deg higher than mine, which could result in some increase in the IAT.

Bob

2. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
    Hey Bob, what OBDII system are you using?

3. Bob_Garrett

Bob_Garrett

4. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

5. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
    Thanks!

6. Biff

Biff

Hey thats a real good reason, I'll have to save it just in case the wife wants to know why I'm installing a snorkle. Now I don't feel so bad dropping $250 for my safari snorkle.

7. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Great info, I'd love to see a before and after temp comparison when a snorkel supplies an intercooler's air. Not only would there be the slight "ram effect" of the snorkel (at speed) but there would be the slightly lower temp level to start with. Currently my rig breaths from the stock location and I would love to do two things to make the intake charge cooler. First is meter the heat to the throttle body via valves within the bypass coolant lines and second is add the snorkel. Thanks also for the link to the obd-2, I'm gonna havta get one of those things. If I do, I'll do a before and after with pre-snorkel, then snorkel, then the stock fully heated throttle body, then the modified and metered cold throttle body for summer and heated throttle body for winter. Again, great info, thanks. :cheers:

8. EDPA

EDPA

So whats the benefit of lower the temp. ? Will It increase my gas mileage?

9. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

A few benefits from the top of the old head here (other experts please expound)...

The colder the air, the denser the air...

The denser the air, the more oxygen within the air ("air" being a mix of gasses including oxygen as well as nitrogen as well as other things)...

The more air, the more fuel to go with it...

The more air & fuel, the more power!!!

HTH, :cheers:

10. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    I told ya so.............:flipoff2: two years ago. Of course I did not have the hard numbers.....:whoops:

11. Bob_Garrett

Bob_Garrett

Good question. I don't know that anyone has determined the answer to that. In theory, at least in hot weather, there should be some improvement. I do know that these 2 rigs get almost the same fuel mileage in mixed city/hwy use and the 95 is probably 500-600 lbs heavier and is running MT tires, vs. ATs on the 97.

Bob

12. cruiserdan

Lower air temp is very desirable, think intercooler. Of course a snorkel is not an intercooler but 30 degrees is 30 degrees. When you are force-feeding air via a blower or turbo every little bit matters.

13. Bob_Garrett

Bob_Garrett

Yessir, that you did. I found that post while I was searching to see if anyone had done this analysis before.

Bob

14. Rainy Day FZJ

Rainy Day FZJ

Turbocruiser, go out to yourrig and use a coolant bypass hose to bypass the throttle body, no sense and preheating the air with the throttle body heater. No scientific data like Dan said but I did it anyway just thinking that evey little bit matters.

15. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

I cannot simply bypass, I live in Colorado, I have to have a way to meter the flow from completely bypassed in the summer to at least some flow for winter. I've been imagining using the rear heater controls from the 1st Gen 4Runners inserted into the line somehow so that I simply select the amount (from none to some) as appropriate. Thanks though. :cheers:

16. RavenTai

RavenTai

30F, That is a lot, there has to be a way to improve the intake temp without cutting a big hole for a plastic pipe in my fender.

Colder air will not notably improve gas milage and very well may decrease it, but colder intake air will increase available power and help with detontaion/pinging/knock.

17. cruiserdan

Exactly.

18. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

There is a lot of reason to heat the air with a throttle body heater. Cold fuel does not atomize as it should. It works in the cold weather. It doesn't make any difference one way or the other in the hot when the intake is going to heat the air above coolant temps anyway.

that's my thoughts anyway.

19. reffug

reffug

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.............. :D

20. jerseyfzj80

jerseyfzj80

In the average production gasoline engine every 11 degree drop in intake temperature is worth approx 1 hp. this is the equation that most manufacturers use to come up with intercooler sizing for forced induction vehicle (super or turbocharged)