Need a cargo trailer, what should I focus on when buying? (Pulling w/ 2011 TLC) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to pick up a 7x14 or 7x16 cargo trailer in the near future for a long-distance, but relatively gradual interstate home and business move. This will be my first cargo trailer purchase, so I'd really appreciate some insight into what I should be looking for when buying. I'm more than open to buying either used or new, but here in New England it looks like the price difference between used vs new is relatively slim, so I don't see much advantage in accepting the rust and potential issues involved with buying used up here.

If you knew you needed to casually haul a good amount of goods between New England and the South-Eastern U.S. over the next several months (likely with loads at the higher end of the 200-series LC's towing capacity,) what would be the biggest factors in your purchasing decision?

If you're only need is to use a trailer for moving, you'd be better off renting one (U-haul or other). Then who cares about rust or other owner maintenance issues? Especially when towing in winter months through the rust belt. Not to mention storing issues while you're not using it. Yeah, it's not as convenient as having your own to pack at your leisure. You'd still have the option to pick up a trailer in your new location (S.E. U.S.) that if used, is probably in better shape (rust free) while unloading goods from your origin. I'm not sure about the 200 series, but my 80 is overbuilt and strong enough to tow a mid sized cargo trailer adequately. If buying a trailer I'd want electric brakes with a controller, not the inertia type that U-haul uses. That means you want the 7-pin type of connector, not the U-haul 4-pin type. A cargo trailer is not a camping trailer, so other than solid frame & suspension & cargo compartment that doesn't leak, good brakes and reliable lights are your primary concerns. Some other concerns: Be sure the wiring harness, if exposed, is in good shape. Wheel bearings - the zirc fitting hub option is convenient for adding grease, but they still need to be cleaned & repacked regularly. I would baseline if there's any question, since you're looking at lots of windshield time. If you're not experienced in towing you'll be looking at some new chores like backing up, parking limitations, less maneuverability in traffic, possible rear view mirror extensions, and requiring more time to reach your destination. And that's in good weather. Ice and snow will be even more of a challenge on hills. I would carry tire chains. The Land Cruiser is one of the best inclimate weather tow rigs with it's full time 4WD, so you've got that going for you. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

Edit: Also be sure when loading your trailer that you have adequate tongue weight:

"Tongue weight should be between 10-15 percent of gross trailer weight (GTW). For example, a 10,000-lb trailer should have a tongue weight between 1,000 lbs and 1,500 lbs. You can adjust the tongue weight of your trailer by removing or adding cargo, or redistributing the load on the trailer."

Last edited:
utility trailers are items that don't really lose much value after the fresh out of the lot depreciation has taken place. So with a good buy on a used one, I'd be pretty confident that I would not lose much money reselling later, besides tax. That's nice, actually. Not like a vehicle. Makes it a bit easier to buy I think, and a quick inspection will pretty much tell all. So, I would not hesitate to buy used, you'd come out ahead very likely. A bit of surface rust is inconsequential besides esthetics and psych impact on uninformed buyers.
One big decision you'd want to think about is whether you want to go single or double axle. Makes a good difference in the price. So figure out the max load you'd want to carry. Double means heavier load capacity of course, but also heavier to tow and more tires to replace more often.
You also may want to think about barn doors or ramp. And also about tie downs.
And for sure brakes.

I have a Mission brand that has been good. I went with them because that is what my local trailer place sold, not because it is better than another brand. It is a lot better built than the farm store trailers I was looking at, and not that much more expensive at the end of the day. I ordered it and got exactly the options I wanted, but they had several on the lot of if was willing to take the options (I wanted galvanized not aluminum wheels, a folding ramp, particular sides).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom