Nebraska Cruisers Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi all, Kleatus here. Relatively new to the area, but not to Mud or 'Yotas. Recently getting back to the task of getting my '40 on the road. I thought I would check here and see if anyone local (Omaha area) has a '40 with a stock drivetrain I could check some measurements on.. I'll make sure your fridge isn't empty when I'm done with the tape! :beer:Seems I should have documented things a bit better on teardown!

drop me a pm kleatus, i'll fire you some contact info.

--r

Hello Nebraskans! Been on MUD for a little bit but did not realize there was a NE section. I bought a '96 on paper 80 at the beginning of summer. Rebuilt the knuckles and had the paint freshened up. Still have some loose ends to complete.

Cheers!
Cory

Hey all, name is Sean from the Bayou State Cruisers. I may be going up to Alliance for a while for my job and bringing the 200. Any intersting areas that way?

Welcome!

Aliance, NE puts you within expedition range of Lake McConaughy - fantastic sand camping and exploration. You're also within striking distance of Scotts Bluff national monument, not a wheeling target but it's fascinating to check out. Fort Robinson is up there.

You're also going to be within a 1/2 day trip of the Black Hills in South Dakota.

Within Nebraska, though, we have a dearth of wheeling locations. My joke is that here in Omaha, "We're 8 hours from anywhere interesting."

Ft. Robinson State Park.
Valentine Natl. Wildlife Refuge.
Niobrara River, East if Valentine. Lots of camping, canoeing and a fun river road to drive.
Nebraska Natl Forest. You can drive back into the hand planted pine forest, on two track sand roads. Lots of places to camp.
McKelvie Natl Forest - Steer Creek Campground. You will have the place to yourself!
Gavin's Point Dam (Lewis & Clark lake) near Yankton SD. Camp, cabins, boats etc.

That should get you started. :D

Don't let anyone tell you there isn't cool stuff in Nebraska!

Cool stuff to go, see and do - yes. Land with open wheeling and/or challenging trails? Not so much.

I've driven the Niobrara River roads lots of times. Nice scenery, but the road itself is just another washboard gravel road. Much more fun in a kayak or canoe. Beware though - don't take your family down that river on a summer weekend. Weekdays are OK, but the weekend crowd there is more like a college spring break movie.

LOTS of places to camp, fish, boat, swim, hunt, etc... BUT not a lot of off-road or trail drive destinations.

Greetings,

I'm in town for a few months and maybe longer. Just thought I would say hi and see if anyone has anything going on the next few months.

Welcome--we've been trying to get a meetup or a run to Tuttle--l'll send you a note if we nail something down.

Aaron

A few guys from fjcruiserforums and TacomaWorld are making a Tuttle trip the 19th of September if anyone would be interested

Me too--have a wedding that weekend.

JRod--please keep us in the loop for these types of events---even start a new thread. We have been trying to find a time to get down there as a group for a while...

Definitely will! This will be the second trip down there this year. I am hoping to make another after this, maybe even to Kansas Rocks too.

Wish I could go, but I'm already double booked that weekend. No. Time. To. Breathe.

I had some rust on my 80. $6K later I have a no rust two tone 80 with moon grey upper and charcoal-black bedliner lower. Now if I only had time to play. The only workout it's getting these days is pulling trailers for Scouts.

Grench glad you came up for air--where's the pics?! I shudder when you use the "r" word, its not a matter of if, but when around here...

Man we could have had a birf party. Mine has been sitting in the shop for 2 weeks for RH axle birf soup and they haven't touched it yet. it is hard to believe it has been about 5 years and 50K since the OMA 'Mud crew helped me rebuild them last time...

Hello from Omaha, Flatlanders! Originally from North Platte. After a fair bit of research and planning, I finally jumped on a 100 series cruiser from Texas. The biggest reason I settled on this vehicle platform is the HUGE amount of practical, technical assistance from the Land Cruiser community on this site and others. You all seem like a great bunch and I hope to be able to pull my own weight. The plan for this green monster is to spend the next few summers carrying my family as we explore as many of the Backcountry Discovery Routes across the Rockies and PNW as we can. The 100 seems like one of only a few vehicles able to drive us and our gear there, up, over, and back without breaking down or juggling our kidneys. I think Grench said it best in a MUCH earlier post - Omaha is 8 hours from (almost) anywhere interesting. Good thing I like to drive. To that end, I'm focused on a long distance, expedition-type set up. I've been slider shopping this week, but the options (and installs) get more complicated after that. Mud member Paflytyer seems to have a common sense approach to the wandering 100 scenario in his build thread. Seems he ran into one heck of an on-duty accident a while back - I hope his recovery is going well. I've really enjoyed reading his posts and advice.

I'm just getting back to working on my own vehicles. The last time I felt somewhat in control of maintaining my vehicle was when I was partnered up with a 1970 El Camino. That was a long time ago. Things have definitely changed. I'm hoping to catch up. Forgot to check the center diff lock prior to purchase and wouldn't you know it, my center diff lock light wasn't firing up when I tried it out. Replaced a sensor and got it fixed but, without this forum, I'd have been lost. I'll be baselining all the fluids and lubrication over the next few weekends. Get in touch if you need a hand with your rig. I'd be glad to help and learn.

Welcome Papawheelie--have a couple 100's around here locally. Keep us posted of our progress...

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom