navigation question and thoughts about a purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking for a 100 series for a few months now. One came up at a used car lot close by. its gray with 122k. Just the color we have been looking for. milage is a little higher than we wanted but the main concern is that it is pretty well worn in some places and some things are missing and or don't function. Sunroof does not work, antenna does not work, steering wheel and wood paneling is in pretty bad shape. No third row seats. Its also completely missing the CD changer and it seems like the nav/display doesn't work properly. Is that because the cd changer is gone or is there something else wrong? Can I just switch out the nav/display for the previous year center control unit? Which I actually prefer anyway. Also how hard is it to switch the steering wheel for one that is in good shape?

There are also cosmetic issues on the exterior. It needs touch up painted and, in my opinion new front and rear bumpers as they have both had miner bumps to them with spider cracking paint. They did say they have not had time to get it detailed and the small things fixed and that they are planning on fixing a lot of these issues.

It has had the timing belt changed at 90650 miles and it has a clean car fax.

They are asking $17000

Good deal?
Too many little things wrong? (Maybe evidence of poor care and maintenance?)

Thanks for any advise.
00E0E_gumvI9T2nA9_600x450.jpg

What year is it? The 2004 had issues with the display (search MFD). The Nav DVD reader and the DVD changer are two separate units. One is in the center console and the other is under the passenger seat. My changer doesn't work but my nav works fine. Make sure you are sitting down when you get a quote to replace the DVD changer :eek:

I'd be wary of the cost of fixing the nav/display not working right. Have them fix everything before you buy. You can't easily switch a nav display for the non-nav display of previous years, given the integration with the HVAC and audio controls. I don't know about the cost of fixing all the other things, but that nav thing would have me worried. Carfax is not the only way to look up history. You might check the VIN with a dealer and/or use Autocheck too.

Sorry. It is a 2002.

I know that they are different things but when we tried to figure out how things worked on the nav it would say "no disc detected" so I wondered if the absence of the changer (in this year its in the center console) was messing with the rest of the functions. It did seam to run HVAC just fine. Anyone know where I can get a manual on how the nav/display is supposed to work? There wasn't an Owner's manual in the truck.

Have you checked to make sure there is a disc inserted in the player? I had the same problem (No Disc Detected), and it was the player that was busted. Picked up a used Generation 4 unit from the scrap yard (originally Gen 2/3 in a 2002) for $250. Easy install, just plug and play. Takes about an hour as it is a bit hard to get to some of the bolts under the seat. You will need to get the Gen 4 disc if you go this way as the Gen 2/3 disc doesn't work in a Gen 4 player.

I would say the potential for the sunroof fix could be $$$$$ too. Last thing you want is buyers remorse on a truck with issues before you even get started. Because small issues on the best used cars will pop up as well.

What's your gut telling you? Sounds like you want to walk but you're the only one that can decide that. If 17,000 is the low end of your budget and you have $ to fix bigger ticket items then consider it. If not the potential for NAV and sunroof are in the thousands.

It took me 8 months and a flight to Chicago (bust) and a flight to Kansas to find my 100.

Good luck.

Way too many costly issues, my vote would be keep looking. Pick a quality rig over simply the right color.

Agree with everyone. Avoid a Nav truck if it's a pre 2003... You are stuck with that audio/HVAC/nab control system. Sunroof, budget up to $2k.

Way too many costly issues, my vote would be keep looking. Pick a quality rig over simply the right color.

+1. Keep looking. There are good clean rigs out there....you just have to be patient.

X2, I almost gave in and bought a Nav truck, but held out and got a charcoal 01 without Nav, 120k miles, working sunroof and antenna, dinged rear bumper, from a dealer for $13k. Had to fly to Nashville, ride a shuttle to Chattanooga, and drive it back to Houston. Stay strong!

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will likely pass. I passed on a much nicer one a month ago with the same miles. it just wasn't gray. I also like blue and there is a good looking one in Portland with 95k. I might look into that one.

We just added our second kid and the Subaru is getting pretty tight. I am wanting one of these for my family rig that we can all make memories with. So I want it to last us the next 12 to 15 years. Or longer. I have driven 3 now and looked at countless ones on the internet. Are these trucks as nice as I have them cracked up to be in my mind? The ones I have driven sure have been nice, even this one thats a little worn. But I don't know if I'm just starry eyed. Have your trucks been worth the trouble and wait?

I know color "grabs you", but when looking for a good used vehicle priority should be condition, maintenance history, etc.

New-ish member here, but also from the PNW. I bought mine a year ago after a long search. IMO, 100's are more expensive in the PNW than just about anywhere else in the country. Initially my search was within a couple hundred miles but I just couldn't get my brain around the prices to value ratios I found, owner or dealer based.

I changed up my search routine and started perusing CL in smaller western cities all the way to the rockies. If you do this you'll be amazed at what the prices start to look like. It worked as I ended up finding a very nice '03 with similar mileage (and the color I wanted!) in Idaho for the same price point. A cheap flight, local inspection and home the next day with a new rig. Expand your boundaries a bit, take your time and you'll be well rewarded.

Also in the pacNW. Took me over a year to find mine and I paid a small premium versus midwest and east coast. Ended up with a color I didn't want and the awful fake wood trim but LOVE the rig and have had no surprises. Just my story but I passed on a much cheaper truck which had issues and I'm happy I did. Second kid limits time in the shop to fix things.

I am in Oregon But clear over on the east side. Much closer to boise than what would be considered the Pacific Northwest. But I will redouble my efforts in some of these smaller areas. Thanks

There is one that looks very intriguing in Portland. A bit pricy with the asking price of 19k but only 95k miles and looks to be in great shape. Its at M and M Investment Cars. I am waiting on some information from the dealer to see if it is worth pursuing further. If so I may try to see if someone close by there would be willing to look at it for me and give me and independent opinion.

Are these trucks as nice as I have them cracked up to be in my mind? The ones I have driven sure have been nice, even this one thats a little worn. But I don't know if I'm just starry eyed. Have your trucks been worth the trouble and wait?

Absostinkinlutely.

We got an lx a year and a half ago for $15k. This was after doing a massive research project on what was the safest vehicle under $20k.
These are very reliable, very safe, very rugged vehicles.

I would pass on the one above but if you find a well maintained hundy you won't regret it.

I just bought a second hundy with over 300,000 miles for a daily driver.

They are just great trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom