National Luna vs ARB Fridge in a 200 question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey @Romer and @prharper can you guys post a straight-on angle photo from behind your truck's with your fridges? I'm trying to do a mockup of how mine will fit, and I need a straight photo to compare how mine will compare. I have a NL72 going on Dobinson drawers. Possibly with the alu cab tilt slide if needed, but ideally without.

My Dobinson drawers I believe are a full 1" lower than ARB and Landshark, but my fridge is about 2.75" wider which is why I want to do the mockup in photoshop
I took my fridge out of the truck for winter. I have a project to clean/organize my garage and can try and get it back in this weekend for a photo if @Romer can't get you a photo of his.

I took my fridge out of the truck for winter. I have a project to clean/organize my garage and can try and get it back in this weekend for a photo if @Romer can't get you a photo of his.
No worries at all if not. My backup plan is to just test it with a 10" wood platform I could build pretty quick this weekend also. Have you still been happy with the Alu Cab tilt slide?

No worries at all if not. My backup plan is to just test it with a 10" wood platform I could build pretty quick this weekend also. Have you still been happy with the Alu Cab tilt slide?
Very happy with the slide, it's quality and heavy duty. Mounted on the passenger side and only concern I have is with the width of the slide and the way it's mounted to allow the right drawer wing to raise - so it is taking up some real estate to the left side in the event I ever try sleeping in the truck. That will be interesting....

My alu cab is the large size - 31.5" x19.68'. It can hold a NL 72 and then some.

Very happy with the slide, it's quality and heavy duty. Mounted on the passenger side and only concern I have is with the width of the slide and the way it's mounted to allow the right drawer wing to raise - so it is taking up some real estate to the left side in the event I ever try sleeping in the truck. That will be interesting....

My alu cab is the large size - 31.5" x19.68'. It can hold a NL 72 and then some.
I was going to ask why your fridge was not over to the right side. That makes sense. I just looked up the slide specs, and my NL72 is just outside of the specs they say fit on the Large. The fridge is 32.874" x 19.4882" (835x495mm). The Large fridge slide says the max fridge size is 31.5" x 19.68" (800x500). So width on my fridge is perfect, but it say lengthwise I'd am just over 1" too long. That then would put me in needing the XL size, which would then make that off-center mount issue even worse. Alu-can says XL fits the NL90 which is same exterior dimensions as my 72. hmmmmm, that's a bummer. Well, still hoping I can get by with no slide and the red hinges I have. The Dobinson drawer has 1 side with the sliding top, so my hope is even though its going to be very tall, that I'll be able just to mount like @Romer did on his ARB's just straight to the drawer top. Would also save me $500 on the slide. Guess we shall see what happens. Maybe I will do the wood platform mockup this weekend after all to see my actual fridge in the truck.

What is it your trying to figure out with the picture, it wasnt obvious to me. The red hinges solve any install issue as long as if its on a slide you can pull it out, is that your question?

What is it your trying to figure out with the picture, it wasnt obvious to me. The red hinges solve any install issue as long as if its on a slide you can pull it out, is that your question?
The red hinges yes theoretically solve my lid open issue yes. Thanks this thread for that, I ordered them just in case when I ordered my fridge. I think the thing I’m concerned about is that my NL72 is 2.76” (70mm) wider than your NL60 (same height closed, 2.64” taller open cuz of the extra width) . So if I have it centered width wise on the sliding drawer top will the top outside corner of the fridge cause any issues hitting the side arch of the tailgate opening when sliding out? The Dobinson has sliding top on 1 side. I mainly just want to have an idea of the fit before I hand my keys to the shop that’s doing the install. Also trying to avoid an extra $500 xl alu cab fridge tilt slide that’d have to be pushed towards the center overlapping both drawers. Usually I’d do something like drawer install myself, but between the freight business shipping , and the electrical install I was having the shop do anyways, I decided just to have the shop do the whole enchilada.....but it’s a new shop I haven’t worked wit. So just making sure I have a good clue before handing it over.

It would seem to me this is something you adjust if its a problem. You have tie down straps for the fridge if the sliding top is like the ARB and just shift the fridge over.

Ill try and remember to take a picture though this weekend

It would seem to me this is something you adjust if its a problem. You have tie down straps for the fridge if the sliding top is like the ARB and just shift the fridge over.

Ill try and remember to take a picture though this weekend
I’m probably just being paranoid about a shop installing all of it. But yes the tops are essentially same as the arb with the built in tie down points, so should be fine . I was going to use your wood block trick to push it as far towards the rear as possible, thanks for that. Maybe I’m just having a hard time visualizing it.

I’m probably just being paranoid about a shop installing all of it. But yes the tops are essentially same as the arb with the built in tie down points, so should be fine . I was going to use your wood block trick to push it as far towards the rear as possible, thanks for that. Maybe I’m just having a hard time visualizing it.
I have since removed the wood block as tight straps keep it in place

I'm a little late to the party, but some of these photos may help. I have a SnoMaster EX75 mounted on my ARB Roller Floor. The lid was impacted by the interior trim, so I "engineered" a way to mount the fridge closer to the tailgate, eliminating the issue. I use a Nitize magnetic carabiner to secure it in the open position. Pics below should be self explanatory and my provide some ideas. . .

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

I'm a little late to the party, but some of these photos may help. I have a SnoMaster EX75 mounted on my ARB Roller Floor. The lid was impacted by the interior trim, so I "engineered" a way to mount the fridge closer to the tailgate, eliminating the issue. I use a Nitize magnetic carabiner to secure it in the open position. Pics below should be self explanatory and my provide some ideas. . .

View attachment 2554916

View attachment 2554918

View attachment 2554919

View attachment 2554920

View attachment 2554921
I dig the creative engineering with the brackets. Also nice it eliminates the need for straps on that side. What’d did you make the extension brackets out of? Can you tell me how tall the ARB roller floor is? Nite Ize makes so many useful little things. I love those gear ties they make. Anyways good solutions, thx for chiming in

I dig the creative engineering with the brackets. Also nice it eliminates the need for straps on that side. What’d did you make the extension brackets out of? Can you tell me how tall the ARB roller floor is? Nite Ize makes so many useful little things. I love those gear ties they make. Anyways good solutions, thx for chiming in

Thanks! The Roller Floor dimensions are:

ROLLER FLOOR (41X21X5.5) EXTERNAL
INTERNAL (37.5 X 17.5 X 3)

The brackets are 80/20 flat plates I had laying around from my audio rack construction:

External Fasteners - Fastening Methods - https://8020.net/catalog/category/view/id/50/?cat=60&p=2&product_list_limit=36&series=18&cat=61

The SnoMaster is designed with threaded inserts in each corner for bolt-down applications. I bolted the flat plates to the Roller Floor, then bolted the fridge to the plates.

View attachment 2554916

View attachment 2554918

View attachment 2554919

View attachment 2554920

View attachment 2554921
Based on your post I remembered the niteize magnetic carabiner idea to secure the fridge lid open. I have ARB drawers and a 63 liter arb classic fridge. Used it for the first time 3 weeks ago on a 7 day journey through Utah. 500 miles of dirt. As these things go you learn what works and what doesn’t when you are on a great trip! One thing that drove me nuts was not having two hands to load or unload my fridge. Your niteize idea solves this so thank you! I ordered the magnetic carabiner, but if I may ask where did you get the little plastic hook you installed to the 200 tailgate to hook the niteize carabiner on? I plan to follow your lead and permanently leave that hook on both the tailgate and the arb fridge lid and then just remove the niteize magnetic carabiners when I do not have the fridge in my rig. I almost bought the ARB elements fridge just to have the gas strut but when I compared the weight of the elements to the classic 2 63qt I just couldn’t justify the added weight of the elements given I did not need the ability to mount externally. I absolutely love the dimensions of the ARB 63 qt on top of the ARB roller drawer. Fits perfectly and can remove the baskets with lid on. Although when I look at pics of national Luna fridges I do keep in mind if they ever make a similar size to the arb 63 quart with similar lid opening I will most likely buy one down the road to replace my ARB. By then though I might have the ability to remove the second row and just follow Marksun’s lead and put the fridge in the second row so I can grab a chocolate milk while I am driving! Lol. Anyway thanks for the help! And sorry for the long winded reply. It’s been unusually rainy in Denver so indoor projects and reading tons of 200 series forums on MUD has been my jam lately.

Based on your post I remembered the niteize magnetic carabiner idea to secure the fridge lid open. I have ARB drawers and a 63 liter arb classic fridge. Used it for the first time 3 weeks ago on a 7 day journey through Utah. 500 miles of dirt. As these things go you learn what works and what doesn’t when you are on a great trip! One thing that drove me nuts was not having two hands to load or unload my fridge. Your niteize idea solves this so thank you! I ordered the magnetic carabiner, but if I may ask where did you get the little plastic hook you installed to the 200 tailgate to hook the niteize carabiner on? I plan to follow your lead and permanently leave that hook on both the tailgate and the arb fridge lid and then just remove the niteize magnetic carabiners when I do not have the fridge in my rig. I almost bought the ARB elements fridge just to have the gas strut but when I compared the weight of the elements to the classic 2 63qt I just couldn’t justify the added weight of the elements given I did not need the ability to mount externally. I absolutely love the dimensions of the ARB 63 qt on top of the ARB roller drawer. Fits perfectly and can remove the baskets with lid on. Although when I look at pics of national Luna fridges I do keep in mind if they ever make a similar size to the arb 63 quart with similar lid opening I will most likely buy one down the road to replace my ARB. By then though I might have the ability to remove the second row and just follow Marksun’s lead and put the fridge in the second row so I can grab a chocolate milk while I am driving! Lol. Anyway thanks for the help! And sorry for the long winded reply. It’s been unusually rainy in Denver so indoor projects and reading tons of 200 series forums on MUD has been my jam lately.

I'm glad my idea was helpful! The "hook" for the carabiner is a cable tie mounting base, attached to the tailgate using some RTV silicone. I then used a small cable tie to form a loop for the carabiner magnet. The adhesive back of the cable tie mounting base would not adhere to the textured plastic of the interior trim, hence the need for the RTV.

Amazon product ASIN B078P8TPPZ

IMG_0874.JPG

Or you can get a tilting fridge slide or lowering type slide instead of straight out

1621942619115.png

1621942841134.png

Or you can get a tilting fridge slide or lowering type slide instead of straight out

View attachment 2683951

View attachment 2683952

I was originally going to go that route, but any fridge slide (several different brands) for my size SnoMaster was wider than the top of my ARB Roller Floor so is wouldn't work. If you have a fixed-top drawer system (or a smaller fridge) it's a great solution.

I was originally going to go that route, but any fridge slide (several different brands) for my size SnoMaster was wider than the top of my ARB Roller Floor so is wouldn't work. If you have a fixed-top drawer system (or a smaller fridge) it's a great solution.
Yeah i ran into the same issue. My NL72 would require such a large tilting Alu-Cab fridge slide that it would be wider than my Dobinsons roller top. The Alu-Cab tilting slide itself is 25" wide. I really don't like when it crosses over that center point even if the drawers were a fixed top

Yeah i ran into the same issue. My NL72 would require such a large tilting Alu-Cab fridge slide that it would be wider than my Dobinsons roller top. The Alu-Cab tilting slide itself is 25" wide. I really don't like when it crosses over that center point even if the drawers were a fixed top
Yeah for full time use drop slide great idea but I routinely run the LC with no fridge and like having the flat ARB drawer surface for daily use when not camping.

Yeah for full time use drop slide great idea but I routinely run the LC with no fridge and like having the flat ARB drawer surface for daily use when not camping.
I'm glad my idea was helpful! The "hook" for the carabiner is a cable tie mounting base, attached to the tailgate using some RTV silicone. I then used a small cable tie to form a loop for the carabiner magnet. The adhesive back of the cable tie mounting base would not adhere to the textured plastic of the interior trim, hence the need for the RTV.

Amazon product ASIN B078P8TPPZ

View attachment 2682194
Finally got around to installing the magnet. I decided to just bite the bullet and go ahead and install a permanent solution. I went with kayak cord hooks from Amazon. They were perfect size and with the included screws they secure real well to both the fridge (ARB Classic II) and tailgate plastic cover.

7DFBD702-496B-48CF-94D4-4CC3A21691C2.jpeg

F4D6DB2B-D9F4-4684-9DFC-A6B3F4704F84.jpeg

4F11C2B2-5AE1-4FB4-ABDD-4192DD9D6890.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom