Nardi Steering Wheel Install Including OEM-Style Horn Wiring in LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ProjectsNMotion

SILVER Star
Threads
I installed a mahogany Nardi steering wheel last weekend, and tackled the wiring yesterday. The physical installation of the wheel is pretty straightforward, so this post will focus more on the wiring.

Parts

Nardi 390mm Black Aluminum and Mahogany Steering Wheel
MOMO 7715 Hub
Nardi Horn Retaining Ring
Toyota Horn Contact Pin 84312-26010
Tyco 174930-1 Connector

Start by disconnecting the negative terminal on your battery, waiting a few minutes, then removing the steering wheel, the clock spring, and the bracket that holds the lighting and wiper stalks. Only the stalk bracket will be reinstalled.

Because the clock spring is being removed, a completely different approach to the horn wiring is needed. The steering wheel hub includes a brass disc on the bottom of the hub to facilitate this, which can be seen in this picture

s-l400~2.jpg

Before clock springs were common in cars, horn wiring was generally accomplished with brass discs on the bottom of the steering wheel, or steering wheel hub, and spring loaded contact pins in the steering column. Because the LX450 came with a clock spring, it doesn't have a contact pin in the steering column, so one needs to be added. Toyota part # 84312-26010 includes a contact pin, a spring, and a small section of wiring which attaches to the pin

PXL_20200919_132751984.jpg

The wiring needs to be extended for this installation

The shoulder on the pin and the spring limit the travel on one end of the pin and the wiring connector, once installed, limits the travel on the other end. However, the pin will need lateral stability. For that purpose, a ¼”-20 nylon bolt is cut to length, has the head shaved in width, and, most importantly, has a ⅛” hole drilled right down the center to facilitate the travel of the 3mm pin. This picture shows the modified bolt next to an original

PXL_20200919_132632382.jpg

Once the modifications to the bolt are finished, the stalk bracket needs to be modified to hold the bolt. A 13/64" hole is drilled in one very specific location on the bracket, this spot is the only location on the entire bracket that is flat on both the front and the back, doesn't interfere with anything else on the bracket, and is directly below the brass disc on the hub.

PXL_20200919_132514257.jpg

With the hole drilled, it needs to be tapped for ¼"-20 threads. The bracket is only about 2mm thick in this spot, so only a couple of threads will be tapped in, but that's enough, the bolt will only be stressed by the force that the tiny pin spring applies.

PXL_20200919_132535829.jpg

Note the somewhat tight clearances in the hole location

Post continued below

Last edited:
Install the modified bolt into the stalk bracket, from the back, put the spring on the pin, install the pin through the bolt from the front, clip the wiring connector onto the back of the pin, and reinstall the stalk bracket

PXL_20200919_134749525.jpg

The clock spring in the LX450 has six pins; one is for the horn, three are for the cruise control, and two are for phone controls. The connector on the vehicle harness that plugs into the clock spring was identified as a Tyco 174923-1. The mating part is a Tyco 174930-1, and will be used for this installation. The wiring included in the Toyota parts kit was extended, and then terminated in the new Tyco connector

PXL_20200919_144848050.jpg

The new connector is then plugged into the vehicle harness

PXL_20200919_145952173.jpg

While everything is apart, a 2.2 ohm 1 watt resistor is added to the vehicle side airbag connector, to prevent any airbag warning lights from popping up.

Connect a wire with a ¼" spade terminal to the metal frame of the new hub, and then install the hub

PXL_20200919_155148540.jpg

The grey wire with the blue-sleeved spade terminal is the wire that's attached directly to the hub frame, it is the ground in the circuit, grounded through the steering column. The black wire, with added heat shrink around the spade terminal, is connected to the horn, through the brass disc, contact pin, and vehicle harness. When the horn button connects those two wires, the horn will sound.

Note that the holes on the top of the hub did not align with the spacing of the mounting holes on the Nardi wheel. I saw adapters for sale to accommodate this difference, but I just drilled and tapped new holes with a mounting diameter that matched the wheel.

The nylon bolt needs to be short enough that when the hub is installed, the pin spring isn't fully compressed. This is what the spring should look like when the hub is installed

PXL_20200919_154741065.jpg

Post continued below

Last edited:
At this point, everything can be reassembled, and the new steering wheel can be installed. The Nardi horn retaining ring should get sandwiched between the hub and the wheel. Then plug in the new horn button, install it in the wheel with the trim ring to cover the wheel hardware, reconnect the negative terminal on the battery, and the installation is complete

PXL_20200919_220330573.jpg

Cheers

sweet write up! this is the exact wheel i was looking at as well. how dark is the steering wheel compared to the stock wood trim? :cheers:

Excellent write up! I'm curious if this can be applied to my 1995 80 or is it specific to the LX450 steering wheels?

I couldn't say for certain, but I believe everything from 95 to 97 is essentially the same

sweet write up! this is the exact wheel i was looking at as well. how dark is the steering wheel compared to the stock wood trim? :cheers:

It's actually a similar shade and matches quite well

Cheers

I just noticed this on your setup, but the momo hub seems to leave quite a few gaps open on the column trim. What I found was if you used a NRG hub adapter more specifically the SRK120H (i have 2, one for my LX and one in my SC300) it is designed to cover the holes, I am using this in conjunction with one of their quick releases, if you don't use a quick release you will have to use an adapter in top of the nrg srk120h hub as it has a 6x70mm pattern vs 6x74mm (might be the other way around) so you can bolt up the steering wheel :cheers:

I just noticed this on your setup, but the momo hub seems to leave quite a few gaps open on the column trim. What I found was if you used a NRG hub adapter more specifically the SRK120H (i have 2, one for my LX and one in my SC300) it is designed to cover the holes, I am using this in conjunction with one of their quick releases, if you don't use a quick release you will have to use an adapter in top of the nrg srk120h hub as it has a 6x70mm pattern vs 6x74mm (might be the other way around) so you can bolt up the steering wheel :cheers:

Thanks for the info. I'm not as worried about the gaps around the base of the hub though, because I'm technically not finished with this project. I'm still planning on adding the cruise control stalk back in, including fabricating a small bracket to hold the stalk, and I plan on covering the gaps with that bracket.

Cheers.

I couldn't say for certain, but I believe everything from 95 to 97 is essentially the same

It's actually a similar shade and matches quite well

Cheers
just installed a 360 Nardi mahogany but didn't wire up the horn since the plate contact is still on back order from toyota and air bag resistors are still being delivered. How's it been w/o the clock spring?

That wheel is incredibly sharp and classic with that interior. Given your ability to make it work thus far, I'm excited to see the final iteration of the dash/column!

No problems at all

Cheers
So I bought these resistors and plugged them in the Yellow female airbag plugs and the light is still on my dash.
Were you talking about another plug when you mentioned " vehicle side airbag connector"?

If so, where can I locate it?

Thanks!

UPDATE!!!
I was able to get rid of the Airbag light error on the dash by applying the TC/AB method under the "diagnostic box".
The resistor were plugged in the airbag connector below, so far so good, no airbag light on my dash. Thank you!

image0.jpeg

Last edited:
Im doing the exact opposite to you. My JDM 80 came with the Nardi wheel. While its nice on the hands; I wanted the factory look. So bought the 4 spoke wheel with airbag. After removing the nardi, seems my 96 didn't come with an airbag or clock spring ( I have the factory brass pin) And the newer wheel i've purchased has a wiring harness that probably was used for the horn and cruise. So I need to get a factory hub to replace the nardi hub and connect the black wire to the wheel somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom