mystery truck problem, now brake and electric idiot lights on at low idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we went to meet my girlfriends family in Arkansas last week and I let her mother drive my truck to town. They came back several hours late and some friends of hers followed her all the way out to the farm in the middle of nowhere because of some problem the truck had. She denies anything happened at all but apparently the truck was idling with the AC on and white smoke started billowing from the hood. By the time the truck arrived I could smell something horrible like the smell of a burn clutch (its an automatic) or maybe burnt tranny fluid. But the truck made the drive back to Texas fine. A few days later (today) at idle the battery light and brake light and also the light on the floor shifter (automatic transmission oil light) are alll lit. The engine is extremely clean and shows no signs of any leaks. Transmission fluid is full. Also the alternator does not seem to be chargind like it was. It is a fairly new alternator and a brand new Optima Yellow top battery. No visible belt damage.

Any ideas?

I am starting a job on Monday for the first time in two years (thank God!) and this would be a really bad time for serious trouble with my transportation. And again it is an 89 FJ62 Auto (I don't think they even came in manual did they?)

yes alternator or bad connections at the battery possibly...make sure everything is tight.

Do have the alt checked but take everyone's advice and replace it or get your hands on a replacement and be ready - it is going to fail. FWIW it's a lot easier to replace the alt if you remove the smog pump completely.

The Factory Service Manual (FSM) is available through Toyota or can be found on e-Bay (normally).

Good Luck

Just had those lights- on and off for a few days and then always on. It ws the alternator. I got one from Cdan- I look up how much I spent.

Anyway I have a core if you want it for 10 bucks or come get it if you are in the area for free. I am in shreveport have it rebuilt for cheaper than the toyota one. Pm me-

And let me get this straight... your GIRLFRIEND's family smoked your truck? Thats great! DOH!

X2 on the ALT...

And in addition, the ground strap to the head become loose once and I had the same symptoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom