Mystery box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While installing a trailer harness in the PS rear quarter, I notice a small black box velcroed to the body, about the size of a pack of cigarrettes. Obviously not factory or dealer/port installed.

It has two wires scotchlocked to the factory sub wires, and then has a RCA jack pigtail coming out.

I thought I took a pic, but I can't find it.

I'm thinking it is some sort of subwoofer filter/tap deal, and that I can plug my amp into it and my sub will work.

The PO had some aftermarket front speakers installed (actually sound pretty good), so it would not suprise me if there was an aftermarket sub too.

Anyone know if I'm right?

If pictures are required I can get some tomorrow.

Thanks

Sounds like a line converter to me. Are you running a stock head unit? basically if you wanna run a sub woofer using rca u need to install a line converter it converts speaker signol to an rca signol then u can simply plug an rca into that and into the amp. i run onw with mine. ill see if i can find a pick.

mike

Yep thats what it is.

I am running a stock headunit.

I friend of mine that deals with this shiz more than I told me 'bout them, but I had since forgotten.

Would it be better for this line converter to be installed on an normal speaker wire instead of the factory sub? I ask this because it seems most factory subs are non-functional.

Sweet, I have a spare 12" sub and 200 watt amp sitting around, might just have to install it so I can use my new mystery box. :D

My understanding is that the factory sub is non-functional 'cause the speaker is crappy and falls apart, not because the electronics are non-functional. I had a 10" Phoenix Gold running on 800W tied to a line converter running off the stock sub, and it played fine. Just make sure the line converter is properly grounded. I forgot to do that and was fighting static like crazy until I realized my mistake.

BTW, 800W is overkill for a 10" sub :D

Ary

Arya Ebrahimi said:
BTW, 800W is overkill for a 10" sub :D

Ary

nahhhh, you don't say. Frick that's a lot of power.

Anyone ever run a 10" Bazooka tube back there? I was thinking I could easily strap one down to the Third row seat mount on the wheel well since I dont run the third seats. I have a Rockford amp I could mount behind the quarter-panel back there and just run the wires out with banana plugs for convient removal when needed.

I want to look into that converter, do you just search on "line-out converter"

Arya Ebrahimi said:
hehehe :D

It was 800w of good power too, not some off-brand junk amp rated at "800w"... :D

Nah back in the 'day' I had 2000W of Rockford Fosgate going in my nissan pathfinder. :cool:

Course now I say what a lot......... :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom