My Storage/Bed solution (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I"m really sorry I can't type any details...I'm getting ready to head off to Silverton tomorrow and I still have a s*** ton things to do...here are pics for those that are intereseted in checking it out. Note, the pics are in no "real" order since this was a phased install and I was too lazy to organize or narrate them :)

basically it converts from a storage solution to a full bed. If you look closely you'll notice that I used carpet padding under the marine grade carpet. Makes for nice cushy for my tushy :flamingo:

...i've got tons more pics of some of the work I've done the last week to post still ... so little time. some include Marlin Tie Rod/Drag Link...more Radiator flush pics (with actual details!!)...and some other stuff I forget right now.

well, enjoy...I'll try to respond to any questions when I get time.
http://kumar.cruizer.net/pics/fj80_storage/index.html
later

Kumar

NIce work, although I dont' know about All that space for a tire, but To each his own, I guess you could turn it into drawers real quick if you get a rear tire carrier. Thanks for sharing

-Sam-

beno said:
That s*** with the gloves is fawking classic!!!

LMAO
-o-

Ditto :D

:confused:
and the dog?

Last edited:
Your work looks great... as far as the dogs work... well thats kinda $hitty :)

PKP80 said:
NIce work, although I dont' know about All that space for a tire, but To each his own, I guess you could turn it into drawers real quick if you get a rear tire carrier. Thanks for sharing

-Sam-
I think he did this because the chances of needing to get to the tire are extremely rare (37" Krawlers are tough tires) and having it on the back would kill most of the viewing out the back...and getting the tire up to a tire carrier would not be trivial, almost impossible for one person, whereas with the tire in the wood enclosure one person could muscle it up to the tailgate and slide it in. I saw the storage/modular setup in person...a pretty slick setup I must say..

:cheers:

mabrodis said:
and getting the tire up to a tire carrier would not be trivial, almost impossible for one person,

uhhh not really.

PKP80 said:

-Sam-

aaahhhh, knew someone would mention that.

Well, that space for the tire will also hold a dual battery setup to run 24 volts. Plan on running 24 v for welding/arb fridge/future winch. It's not installed yet, but the parts are on their way. That space also hold all my spare fluids (4 qts extra oil, penetrol 90, wd40, jug of neutra (for gas), ATF bottle, and spare battery (currently just for backup until I get the 24 volt system done)

Keep in mind that is one very heavy 37" tire. I find it best to keep the center of gravity low and inside. If I was to mount it outside, I would never be able to park in my garage and I find the "balance" poor. All that being said, there is no wasteage of space by any means.

Also, I'm not worried about MASS amounts of storage. Those boxes on top can carry enough tools/recovery gear/etc. I normally have more than I need when I go wheeling. Plus those butterflies on the side also suck up some cargo...and not to forget...on the long trips I have a Thule 1600 sitting on top of the truck (removed once to base camp).

Kumar

NorCalDoug said:
Ditto :D

:confused:
and the dog?

yeah...the dog...just throwing in some variety.

Looks really nice, great work! Question though ..... where are you sleeping? I love the design, but I'm not understanding where you actually want to lay down??

Nice job, Kumar! Very custom. :cheers:

Montana Cruiser said:
Looks really nice, great work! Question though ..... where are you sleeping? I love the design, but I'm not understanding where you actually want to lay down??

the top two boxes actually slide into the 2nd row seat section. Given that, there is a large platform for two to sleep (my wife comes on every trip) and I hope that my dog will fit too (she likes her room too). Here's a pic when converted into "bed"...which doesn't take all that long.

dscf0042.jpg

dscf0043.jpg

dscf0044.jpg

time to sleep (in my house bed)...big trip to CO tomorrow :beer:

Kumar

inacoma said:
the top two boxes actually slide into the 2nd row seat section. Given that, there is a large platform for two to sleep (my wife comes on every trip) and I hope that my dog will fit too (she likes her room too). Here's a pic when converted into "bed"...which doesn't take all that long

time to sleep (in my house bed)...big trip to CO tomorrow :beer:

Kumar

Nice! I see now, clever design indeed and it looks quite comfortable. Have a good trip.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom