My only and hopefully last experience with Toyota Service Dept. Warning! Long Ranting Ahead! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing the OP of this thread should have done and I always do is remove the center caps yourself and leave them home before you go in for tire service anywhere, including the dealer. You can put them back on yourself carefully, not like some tire monkey banging them back on as hard as he can.

This ^^^ I once received my Tundra back from Discount with two broken caps sitting on the passenger floor. Not even a mention of it from the guys there. Thanks a lot.

I've had good luck with my local Discount Tire, but I bring in ONLY the rims/tires. No center caps, no lugs, no valve stem caps, no car. Just wheels and tires. I also buy my tires there, and ask them price match whatever deal is available elsewhere when I call to make my appointment.

When I drop them off, I make it a point to ask politely ask the service desk: 'if you could please be careful not to scratch these, I would really appreciate it.' and 'Is it OK to tip your technicians if they do a nice job? Who will be working on these?'

So far, so good. Everything else is done at home.

My wife used to go to the dealer, Honda in this case. After the 4th or 5th time of me pointing out how she was being lied to, overcharged, and the s*** work quality she came around. Then I told her it was mostly because she’s a woman and wouldn’t know to call them on it. She hit the roof. Now she goes to my local guy and has been very happy with his work.

I've had good luck with my local Discount Tire, but I bring in ONLY the rims/tires. No center caps, no lugs, no valve stem caps, no car. Just wheels and tires.
And it doesn’t bother you to drive on the brake rotors? No sparks? Hehe!

Actually I really considered that option to be able to work on my rims while the tires were off, and grab the pickup truck for a couple days till I get the wheels back and installed, but it was time prohibiting, and the offer I found on the tires is about to expire and didn’t want to miss it. Good plan though.

'Is it OK to tip your technicians if they do a nice job? Who will be working on these?'

Good strategy.. the old “carrot on the stick “..

And it doesn’t bother you to drive on the brake rotors? No sparks? Hehe!

Actually I really considered that option to be able to work on my rims while the tires were off, and grab the pickup truck for a couple days till I get the wheels back and installed, but it was time prohibiting, and the offer I found on the tires is about to expire and didn’t want to miss it. Good plan though.
I just put whatever it is I am working on on jack stands in the garage, and throw the wheels in another car. If you make an appointment they can generally fit you in the same day and have it done in 3-4 hours. Easy peasy and it stops you from having to wait around or deal with any number of stupid @$$ corporate policies.
  • Only getting 2 new tires and the new policy is we only put them on the diagonals every other Thursday? No thanks. I'll put just put them where I want when I get home.
  • You don't recommend that brand/size for that vehicle? Then what vehicle do you recommend them for? Great, I'll put them on that one when I get home then.
  • You have a TPMS sensor policy? Cool, me too. So, are my tires ready?
  • Costco once told me they can't change the tires if the car isn't there. So, you are telling me I should go to Discount Tire instead then? Ok, can do. Which one do you use?
  • etc.. (You are right, this is very therapeutic)
Dudes working at my local Discount Tire are pretty good folks. But they have corporate bosses who want to sell you a subscription to Disney Plus, the air freshener of the month club, or whatever the latest add on is. I don't need the BS, and I find this simplifies things nicely. The good techs seem to appreciate the old way of doing things.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if anyone has actually had a positive experience with dealerships these days

I’ve had many great experiences at Toyota and Ford service centers. Certainly a few bad ones but far from “never any positive” experiences.

My recent trip to the dealer resulted in a busted gas strut on my hood. The struts are 14 years old and getting droopy in the cold. Local dealer tech had the great idea to wrap some eclectically tape around the silver part to keep the hood up. Forgot about it and when he closed the hood it blew the seal and dumped oil all around the lower mount. Me: “wtf?” Service manager: “our technicians would never do that. It was like that when you brought it in”.

Fact is that there is a major shortage of quality techs and even good independent shops are having a hard time finding talent. Now is a great time to do as much work on your own as you can and hope that good techs stay around at your favored shop.

My recent trip to the dealer resulted in a busted gas strut on my hood. The struts are 14 years old and getting droopy in the cold. Local dealer tech had the great idea to wrap some eclectically tape around the silver part to keep the hood up. Forgot about it and when he closed the hood it blew the seal and dumped oil all around the lower mount. Me: “wtf?” Service manager: “our technicians would never do that. It was like that when you brought it in”.

Fact is that there is a major shortage of quality techs and even good independent shops are having a hard time finding talent. Now is a great time to do as much work on your own as you can and hope that good techs stay around at your favored shop.
Agreed. Then you get aholes like me trying to keep the shop open. They love my mechanic, but I am the front man and manage the finances, so I will always look like a bad guy plus my attitude sucks lately.

When I have to go to the dealer, rarely, but f it needs to be done sometimes. Case in point, told my dad if the Tundra's cam towers leak, its going to the dealer, why? It will cost me more in lost jobs and then the additional time and tools to do basically a timing chain job, sure financially speaking it sucks, but my priority is keeping the doors open at the shop. Can't do that if my sole mechanic is cussing working on a family car.

I do make sure to wear some of the Snapon/Matco clothing when I go in. They generally give me side eye, keep their mouth shut and do what is requested without pitching fluff.

I do make sure to wear some of the Snapon/Matco clothing when I go in. They generally give me side eye, keep their mouth shut and do what is requested without pitching fluff.
Incredible idea

My last trip into dealer service was for a key cut/program and flush brake fluid, PS fluid, etc. - I asked what it would cost to service front bearings while there.

They told me the front bearings (2005 LC) were sealed and not serviceable.

They also replaced the PS fluid with clear PS fluid instead of the ATF it should have.

Lexus Dealerships are whole lot better in my experience, but you still have to pay attention. Research your service writers, good ones are worth sticking to.

As for strict enforcement of the torque wrench usage, Costco and Walmart do that very well indeed. So, I do not think it is a big differentiator. I always re-torque them home in a couple of days anyway. There are also specialty tire shops for customers willing to pay, and those do excellent job. I have yet to come across a Porsche person asking where to get the cheapest part or service..

After my open-heart surgery I visit my Portland Lexus dealer more. They and Bellevue, WA folks never disappointed me. I had to shame Phoenix guys once - they simply 'forgot' to perform a few items they so promptly charged for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom