My new (to me) Warn m12000, where do I start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started a thread about my craigslist score over in 80's tech, but I thought I would start one here for more specific winch help.

I found it for $100 - yup, and it works! It's an older model, but I couldn't pass it up! I would like to take it apart, clean it and check it all out, but I don't know where to start. Here are a couple pictures, and my 'rendering' of the model plate. I couldn't get a clear picture without the glare obscuring it, so I drew it out... maybe someone can chime in with what everything means?

Also, there is a hokey solenoid setup on it, but it works... at least without a load on it. Any advice about it?
Thanks!
IMG_20120407_151137.jpg
IMG_20120407_150116.jpg
IMG_20120407_145552.jpg

If you can get the serial number off it Warn can supply you all the wiring diagrams. I'd tear it down and paint or powder coat the housing. Then just lube and reassemble if everything looks OK. The same moly grease you use in your birfs is what Warn calls for the planetary gears. Then tackle that solenoid setup. If they all function I'd just replace the wires between them. The cross bars and anything else you want you should be able to source from Warn.

I did the same last fall with a Craigslist M12K. You did better on price but you have more work ahead of you.

Wow, nice price but like he ^ said, you got your work cut out for you. Did it come with the cover for the solenoids? Also as a suggestion, if you turn off your flash on your camera, you can usually get a glare free pic, as long as there's enough light to see it in the 1st place. Be nice to see that plate.

Well I started to tear it down last night, half expecting to find a bucket of rust and broken teeth all ground up. I was pretty shocked though.... it looks almost brand new inside! Grease looks fresh, all the gears are tight, absolutely no rust inside! The only negative I found was a little bit of metal flakes around a snap ring - should be able to see in the pictures. However I can't find where they came from and they were only at that one spot. I think they are from the snap ring itself.... so after I degrease and clean the innards up, I'll regrease and button it back up.

So it looks like the major project is going to be a cosmetic overhaul on the outside, I'm thinking I'll splurge and get it powdercoated, get new stickers, etc.

A couple questions... what is a good cheaper solenoid that is rated for this winch? Warn wants an arm and a leg, and others I have found are all over the place with no real rating to go by as far as I can tell.
Also what is a good fairlead? I didn't realize they were so stinking expensive!!
ForumRunner_20120410_120830.jpg
ForumRunner_20120410_120905.jpg
ForumRunner_20120410_121023.jpg
ForumRunner_20120410_121100.jpg

That is the wrong greese. You need a good Lithium in there. 400hr inspection /refit all single line pulls
Winch 001.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I have some good synthetic lithium based grease I'll use. I'm totally degreasing and getting rid of the old. What's in there looks pretty fresh, so I don't think it was run much with it.

More pics
ForumRunner_20120410_122911.jpg
ForumRunner_20120410_122941.jpg
ForumRunner_20120410_123008.jpg
ForumRunner_20120410_123037.jpg
ForumRunner_20120410_123110.jpg

Wholly that is a keyed shaft on the motor, definately a very old M series

See the dirty wear when POs dont use the right greese

For some reason the pics make it look a lot dirtier than it is. The grease and all internal surfaces are really clean, all gears tight. I haven't found the serial number yet, I'm still scrubbing the outside though.

...the reddish pink stuff is my degreaser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom