My New BJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, as I posted elsewhere earlier I bought the dang BJ60. I've got new (to me) rust free doors on. and I have been studying the rig from front to rear.

(1) 3B/H55F;There seems to be a fuel return line that makes its way into the rear quarter panel on the U.S. passenger side, through a filter element and back to the tank? This thing is corroded and deteriorated at the rear and is altogether disconnected near the sedimenter. It also seems to instantly stop once in the engine compartment on the Drivers side (US) just on the fener well, below the master cylinder. Where does this thing connect to? Should I replace post-haste? Who knows how long it has been driven without. However, reading the 3B Maintenance manual on birfield.com, I don't see reference to it.

(2) (THE WORST IMO )-The front output shaft has a good wabble in it and a distinctive "flat spot" when you rotate it by hand. It is definitely not a U-joint. Both the driveshaft and the flange are wobbling. Could this indicative of something wrong with the output shaft itself or maybe an indicator of things even worse deeper in the transfer case? It goes into and out of 4H/4L without complaints and w/o noise. I can come by another transfer case altogether off of a 2F FJ60, would it be worth it, or may this only require some pre-load re-setting?

Well thanks in advance...

[quote author=fj803fe link=board=21;threadid=10190;start=msg90982#msg90982 date=1074304492]
Well, as I posted elsewhere earlier I bought the dang BJ60. I've got new (to me) rust free doors on. and I have been studying the rig from front to rear.

(1) 3B/H55F;There seems to be a fuel return line that makes its way into the rear quarter panel on the U.S. passenger side, through a filter element and back to the tank? This thing is corroded and deteriorated at the rear and is altogether disconnected near the sedimenter. It also seems to instantly stop once in the engine compartment on the Drivers side (US) just on the fener well, below the master cylinder. Where does this thing connect to? Should I replace post-haste? Who knows how long it has been driven without. However, reading the 3B Maintenance manual on birfield.com, I don't see reference to it.
[/quote]

Are you talking about the water separator? It's a black canister on the inside frame rail to separate water from the deisel. You'll want to make SURE that the water separator is operational. If I were you I'd also drain it. Usually there is a bit of crud and water in it. Just take off the plug on the bottom and let it drain until you see clean deisel. You'll smell like deisel but get used to it :D

If the water separator is hooped you can go to a Racor aftermarket one. That's what the FJ55 will be getting.

[quote author=fj803fe link=board=21;threadid=10190;start=msg90982#msg90982 date=1074304492]
(2) (THE WORST IMO )-The front output shaft has a good wabble in it and a distinctive "flat spot" when you rotate it by hand. It is definitely not a U-joint. Both the driveshaft and the flange are wobbling. Could this indicative of something wrong with the output shaft itself or maybe an indicator of things even worse deeper in the transfer case? It goes into and out of 4H/4L without complaints and w/o noise. I can come by another transfer case altogether off of a 2F FJ60, would it be worth it, or may this only require some pre-load re-setting?

Well thanks in advance...
[/quote]

Is there lateral movement at the transfer case output flange? If so start looking for the new one or at a minimum rebuilding the old one. I don't recall preload on the front output but I could be wrong. In any case if the nut is loose the bearing is hooped as a minimum, quite possibly more.

I can come by another transfer case altogether off of a 2F FJ60, would it be worth it,
[/quote]

Go get that other tcase, what year is the donor 60?

there should be a return line on ALL diesels, from the injector pump (from memory) back to the fuel tank, as diesels don't burn all the fuel that they suck from the tank (as the fuel pump sometimes pumps at a different rate to the injector pump, as the fuel pump only keeps the injector pump full of fuel, and doesn't deliver that fuel to the cylinders, if i remember my little lesson in diesels correctly)

The Canadian spec LC's with 3B engines do not have a return line to the tank. They have a return line to the injection pump. When we swapped the 13BT into Sheldons 87-BJ70, we also changed out the fuel tank and ran a return line to the tank. Don't know about the 2H's in the Canadian spec HJ60's. I do not know if this changed when the 3BII's came into being, however I have never heard people talk of having to run a return line from engines pulled out the mines...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom