My New 80 Ute (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.3rdrock4x4.com
hey guys

thought its about time to do a build thread on my truck, heres the story, I bought an 80 GXL with abit of a rough body but its a 1hz and i wanted a ute so my good mate is a panel beater/fabricator so he got to work on it! Anyway ill let the pics speak for themselves.

This is it the day i bought it!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lifted! 4" dobbinsons with my 38.5 boggers!!

Cutting Begins

Paneling up

T-gate all done:

Getting the front mount in!

let me know what you think so far!

Last edited:
Would have squared the cab chop personally and not gone styleside tub, would have gone tray and probably dual cab too :p but then you'd be just like the huge amount of other uted 80s in Aus. Props for being different and doing the styleside tub.

absolutely love it. can't wait to see how she ends up.

So what does this do that a hilux wouldn't do???
Looks like a lot of work just to turn a fj80 into a pickup truck or am I missing something?..

So what does this do that a hilux wouldn't do???
Looks like a lot of work just to turn a fj80 into a pickup truck or am I missing something?..

Yeah it is alot of work but i dont want to be a typical hilux driver who thinks his car is better than anyone else's.

Yep Tapage deffinately turboing it, just waiting for the body work to be done and then once it is back at my shop ill be doing the turbo setup.

Thanks guys for the comments much appreciated

Very cool! I like the cut pic. Boggers rule!!!!

bad ass......................

Yep Tapage deffinately turboing it, just waiting for the body work to be done and then once it is back at my shop ill be doing the turbo setup.

which turbo are you planning to use . ?

damn that looks real clean and nice
img0356gw.jpg

Ill be going with a Garrett GT2876, a few guys over here in oz are running them with great results, thanks for the compliments guys my mate does some awesome top notch work! ill keep you updated with more pics every couple of days! :cheers:

I was thinking in 2860 .. 2876 will work a bit higger rpm .. moving full boost bit hi compared to stock CT26 in 1HD-T engines ..

Your mate did a great job. Nice to have friend who can fabricate and weld.

I have never seen anything like this in the US. Looks like one heck of a tough looking pickup truck. Looking forward to seeing the progress and final result.

I would imagine that cutting off the top of an 80 removes quite a bit of weight from the back of the truck. How will that effect its ride and its traction?

Any updates? How did you make the tailgate top?

Hey guys sorry been abit lazy lately with updating yous but all the body work on the truck is all done and will be going in for high fill tomorrow night, the top part of the tailgate is just a cut up top section of a normal 80# gate just welded together. anyway heres some pics!

just abit of bog to cover all the high and low spots the welding caused!

Spent a couple of hours on the inside of the gate to make it look abit more fancy haha

Let me know what yous think guys, pretty sure ill be painting it lexus pearl white, flares and all and having black bar work.

Mitch :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom