My Mall Overlander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys!

I've been lurking for awhile after buying a 2012 Luxury GX 460 last year. I love the overland setup in off-road rigs and knew I wanted to do something similar to my GX. I moved from an FJ (overhanded it out too :) ) into a GX because we needed something more family friendly and something with more towing capability for our +4000lb travel trailer. The FJ towed fine on the flats but when going up steep grades, the FJ really struggled. Other than RVing, we do camp quite a bit in our roof top tent, mostly in campsites but sometimes on the occasional back road or mountain fire trail.

Mods:
- Front Runner GX/Prado rack w/ expedition rails
- Rotopax mounts and cans
- Falken Wild Peak AT tires 275/65 r18
- Method Wheels Double Standards 18x9
- 42' single row LED bar up top
- 32' double row LED bar down below
- N Fab light bar for a Tacoma (I added a little wind faring... to make it look fuller)
- LED interior and puddle lights

Future plans - FJ/4Runner TRD skid plate, F-sport black grille and maybe sliders.. the OEM steps are so convenient for my little boys and wife

No suspension at this time. I am loving the airbag ride and auto leveling capability when towing the travel trailer
No off-road bumper at this time either. The ARB is too heavy (I want the GX light because we are still pulling a trailer) and IMO the design is a bit old school. It looks great on older rigs but to me doesn't fit the newer, sleeker rigs. The Southern style offroad bumper to me is ugly. If Demello made an aluminum bumper, I'd probably get that. For now, the N fab light bar will do.

Thanks for looking!

DSC03918-1-L.jpg

DSC03924-4-L.jpg

DSC03927-5-L.jpg

DSC03928-6-L.jpg

DSC03931-7-L.jpg

DSC03933-8-L.jpg

DSC03936-9-L.jpg

DSC03937-10-L.jpg

DSC03943-11-L.jpg

DSC03945-12-L.jpg

DSC03947-13-L.jpg

DSC03948-14-L.jpg

do you have any bad glare from the light bar on the roof rack? through the sunroof or off the hood? sharp looking rig

Love your GX!

Perfect wheel/tire setup, though maybe I'd stretch to 285 width...

I really like the roof rack & gas can(?)! Something so neat about transforming a soccer mom Lexus into an off-road beast (even if not using it much like one!).

Great looking rig! What is the offset of the wheels?

Love your GX!

Perfect wheel/tire setup, though maybe I'd stretch to 285 width...

I really like the roof rack & gas can(?)! Something so neat about transforming a soccer mom Lexus into an off-road beast (even if not using it much like one!).

Thanks. My first instinct is to say it's not a soccer mom lexus because it has true off-road capability, But dropping my son off at school today I saw 4 GX's, 3 of them were soccer moms :)

Thanks again. Yes, I may consider 285s once these need to be replaced.

Last edited:
Great looking rig! What is the offset of the wheels?
Sorry I wish I knew. I had credit with America's Tire and I just had them do the ordering for me. Their computers automatically knew the offset based on the vehicle.

Really nice trip to the 5 NP. Could you give us a little review of places you would recommend spending more time at and things to speed through. I’m sure there are plenty of other people who would like to know also.

Looks fantastic! I'm thinking of going with same tire/wheel set up (Methods). I'm curious if you had to do any fender modifications (heat gun, move plastic liner in some) in order for the tires to not rub when turned all the way. Thanks =)

Great looking rig. Love the setup and rack. Question, would a Yakima RocketBox or Thule box work on that rack?

Great looking rig! Looks like you guys are thoroughly enjoying it!
I love to see purpose built rigs being enjoyed for what they were built for!
Travel on my friend!

Mall Overlander.......we should shorten it to Mallander! 🤣

Nice rig BTW, how does the front light bracket thing attached to the car? I've been trying to find something like that, but I have post facelift model though.

I'm curious how you mounted this as well? Any insights/pics appreciated.

Love it, and agree on your build strategy - keeping heavy bumpers off the truck is a smart idea.

Looks clean and still super capable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom