Meet Metto: 1993 LJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mud. I've been spending tons of time on here lately and I thought a proper introduction would be nice. So much knowledge and ideas, it was overwhelming at first. But know I feel like I've been fully baptized in the Cruiser world. Here's my story.

I'm coming up on the two year mark since purchasing my first Land Cruiser and my first diesel. I was super stoked as I was looking for a diesel 4x4 and this was the best price point I could find. Called up a buddy who is a 4 Runner guy, he gave it the thumbs up and I wrote the check.

I named it Metto, after the Japanese name for the Buzzy Beetle in Mario Bros. What can I say, I'm a 90s kid.
Metto2.jpg

Over the next few weeks I start reading all of the dreadfulness that is the 2L-TE. A true gut punch, I then knew why it had the sweet price point. I walked to work at the time, so I drove it lightly over the first year with the exception of a 3 week road trip over the holidays roaming around the Eastern Sierras.

I've never been a "car guy". I think that comes from a lifetime of cycling through POS after POS. I've gotten more money scrapping than what I purchased for in a couple cases. But this was at the root of wanting a diesel. I wanted to learn. I was hands on at work up until a couple of years ago, I think I missed that and wanted an outlet. So finally I sacked up and decided to give Metto it's best life, let's give this little 2L-TE some help. And so it began.

I'm still working through the list of things that I've collected from all of the great build threads (and the unexpected along the way). Next up is addressing the turbo and intercooler. Also getting ready for the next road trip this fall with permission to blow some $$ from the wife. I'll work on adding some pictures and stories of what I have, I'm terrible at capturing things with photos. Might be all of the drinking.

All in all though I'd say that Metto and I have turned a corner and that is thanks to all of the great folks on this forum. In particular I want to give a shout out to @Jarrat @GTSSportCoupe @JimmyPrado @AirheadNut @Postoy @CRSWA. There's definitely others out there that have helped, but these 2L-TE gurus have been essential for me. Will soon hit 100,000 kms; let's see how far we can go!

Cheers,
Jordan

Congrats on the purchase man, I still love my
Lj. I can’t see ever getting rid of it... unless I found a smoking deal on another 70 series.

I really need to update my build thread...
Hey, I've got a question for LJ78 owners:
I, too, just came across a surprisingly well-priced 1994 LJ78. The interior is pretty rough looking, but there's no rust, the frame's in perfect shape, and the engine seems pretty good. But now that I'm starting to read about how the 2L-TE is underpowered, I'm wondering if I should get it. I just tried driving it, and it is indeed pretty slow to accelerate, but it feels alright on normal roads (haven't tried highway driving in it). I'm also looking at a 1995 Mitsubishi Delica L400, with an intercooled 2.8L turbo diesel 4M40. I think if the 2L-TE isn't going to outperform the 4M40 terribly well I should just go for the Delica since it's got a clean (and roomier) interior, and it's a little cheaper, so I could put the extra money into building it up. How do you think an LJ78 with a 2L-TE would compare to an L400 Delica with the 4M40?

Registered! See post #787

Ah man, too bad! I bought an LJ78 up in Edmonds and lived in Tacoma as well. We could have been buddies. I've since moved to TX, however. I cracked my head after multiple stalls going home up 4th street, and had it replaced by Torfab (along with an EGR delete) up in Everette. I also recommend evans waterless coolant (probably the easiest and best bet to keep from cracking the head), and I also removed the throttle plates, added an 2.5 in exhaust, intercooler, snorkel, gauges, manual boost controller set to 12 psi, and an oil catch can (did that stuff myself). It certainly runs cooler now,(the snorkel surprised me with the difference it made), and I can now drive comfortably down the highway at ~100 kph with AC on in the 100F Texas heat and have the EGT max out around 650F. I fortunately have a friend who helped me weld the brackets to fit the intercooler and stuff.

Next up is to fix the front hubs. Found out the wrong way my 4WD isn't working like it should a couple days ago..

Ah man, too bad! I bought an LJ78 up in Edmonds and lived in Tacoma as well. We could have been buddies. I've since moved to TX, however. I cracked my head after multiple stalls going home up 4th street, and had it replaced by Torfab (along with an EGR delete) up in Everette. I also recommend evans waterless coolant (probably the easiest and best bet to keep from cracking the head), and I also removed the throttle plates, added an 2.5 in exhaust, intercooler, snorkel, gauges, manual boost controller set to 12 psi, and an oil catch can (did that stuff myself). It certainly runs cooler now,(the snorkel surprised me with the difference it made), and I can now drive comfortably down the highway at ~100 kph with AC on in the 100F Texas heat and have the EGT max out around 650F. I fortunately have a friend who helped me weld the brackets to fit the intercooler and stuff.

Next up is to fix the front hubs. Found out the wrong way my 4WD isn't working like it should a couple days ago..
Ah, we can still be Mud Buds! Yea, some of these hills around Tacoma are perfect for in-town trials. Thanks for sharing the recommended mods, I'm working through most of these currently. So far I have completed the EGR delete, switch to Evans, removed the throttle plates, and oil catch can (I since removed). I've got gauges on order with a boost controller to follow. Exhaust and intercooler are on the horizon.

A snorkel is in my basement waiting on me to gather the courage. It does help reading your positive words on the snorkel. I have a bit of the "don't want to take the plunge" feeling about the snorkel look. That TX heat is no joke, so that's a big endorsement.

Cheers!

Yeah it took months before I finally had the cojones to start cutting the body for the snorkel. I'm happy with the result though! Here is where I installed my gauges too:
98116740_10102095016327357_4732201997594263552_o.jpg
87169229_10101988107897707_3373509889736310784_o.jpg

Yeah it took months before I finally had the cojones to start cutting the body for the snorkel. I'm happy with the result though! Here is where I installed my gauges too:
View attachment 2340801View attachment 2340803
Looks good! What is the dial in the AC/Heat cluster?

Also is that your Cruiser in the background of my first photo? Did you get yours from JDM Car & Motorcycle on Aurora??

That's the brightness dial for the gauges. I bought it on the private market, but he bought it locally about a year beforehand, so it probably is the same one.

Put in a rear door table. Made it out of some scrap plywood left over from some home renovations and some paracord. Just had to buy the hinge. Had some spray paint that somewhat matches the two tone. Holds fine. The head camp chef (my gf) approved. I’ll take it.
87364B17-AA77-470E-9725-A5D96F7A724D.jpeg

0A262DE7-E9EB-4A0C-8437-36F0CE402EC5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom