My FZJ80's transformation 4 years later... (Plus – show me your 2" lifts) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mrq

Threads
I've finally got my rig built how I envisioned it back when I first bought it in 2016. All mods were done w/in the past 5 months.

I got an ARB non-winch bumper and 10mm OME coil spacers and had them installed in Feb – had the Hella lights installed and wired in May – and just last weekend I found these custom-made-for-an-80 Yakima bars on Craigslist for $100. And just yesterday I drove an hour up the gorge from Portland to get this super cool Yakima Loadwarrior cargo basket – which was on Craigslist for $225. ($150 cheaper than MSRP.) Craigslist has good deals, man!
Oh, and I replaced the tires – went from BFG KO2's to Yokohama Geolandar GO15 AT's.

So... how does it look?

Also – I have been thinking about getting a 2inch lift. I was wondering which brand lift kit is the best for the 80's series & also I was hoping some of you guys would share pics of your rigs with a 2" lift.

First pic is of my rig stock – how I got it. The rest are pictures I took of it today.

2016:

056EA208-E7E2-44EA-A31E-93212CFEB5D1.jpeg

2020:

74A6E8E1-8A8C-4EC0-9D7F-33032C8E0BB4_1_201_a.jpeg
3CB20D37-C204-468B-9962-8C2C3382BE6E_1_201_a.jpeg
7BE0CC0E-9721-4B55-9A98-1227A8CC5125_1_201_a.jpeg

CC798658-06E7-4754-AAF6-61553C9C0124.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks great!! Very clean setup and colors. Seems that you defined your mission and build the truck for those needs.

Dobinson and OME have 2” lifts. I just took the poverty package OME 2” off my truck. The ride was good, but the flex was mediocre. Have read good things about Dobinson.

Reactions: mrq
Looking great! Love the white/black/red color combo!

I personally am running the Dobinson 2" lift with variable rate coils. I think the ride is fantastic (a much needed upgrade over rancho shocks that were on my rig from the previous owner). I am getting great flex offroad while maintaining great road characteristics. I have read mixed things on the OME, but I steered away from them as the pavement characteristics seem to be on the harsher side. I offroad about once a month so I needed to make sure the grocery-getting/daily driving was comfortable 😂. Although, the Ironman seems enticing. When I was researching, it was hard to find detailed on and offroad characteristics, so maybe someone else can chime in!

Nevertheless, sick looking rig and good luck with the 2-inch lift!

Looking great! Love the white/black/red color combo!

I personally am running the Dobinson 2" lift with variable rate coils. I think the ride is fantastic (a much needed upgrade over rancho shocks that were on my rig from the previous owner). I am getting great flex offroad while maintaining great road characteristics. I have read mixed things on the OME, but I steered away from them as the pavement characteristics seem to be on the harsher side. I offroad about once a month so I needed to make sure the grocery-getting/daily driving was comfortable 😂. Although, the Ironman seems enticing. When I was researching, it was hard to find detailed on and offroad characteristics, so maybe someone else can chime in!

Nevertheless, sick looking rig and good luck with the 2-inch lift!

Thanks! And thanks for the info/recommendations! I’ve heard a lot of people say they have the Dobinson lift & say that they like it.
Did you install your lift yourself? If not, how much did it run you to get it installed? I have extremely limited mechanical knowledge and skill (I’m learning) so I will need to have my 80 mechanic do it or take it to the Land Cruiser specialty shop here in Portland.

Cheers!

My lift is higher but highly recommend Dobinson. I love the ride around town and the flex offroad.

Cant go wrong with Dobinsons. Ive been running it for 3 years. Even with a 2" get the caster correction bushings.

Thanks! And thanks for the info/recommendations! I’ve heard a lot of people say they have the Dobinson lift & say that they like it.
Did you install your lift yourself? If not, how much did it run you to get it installed? I have extremely limited mechanical knowledge and skill (I’m learning) so I will need to have my 80 mechanic do it or take it to the Land Cruiser specialty shop here in Portland.

Cheers!

I had my mechanic do it. My truck is on the rusty side so I decided to avoid the headache. They quoted me 12 hours for the install, which they thought was going to be a high estimate, but ended up being spot on. This was because of the caster correction, steering stabilizer, etc. They did a great job so I had no problem paying a bit more in labor. I have heard others getting their lifts installed for much less. I am assuming 12 is probably the max.

Also, I think the rubber OEM style bushings are essential for a good ride. So I would avoid polyurethane at all costs. Not sure if this is a popular opinion or not.

Good luck with the install. I am sure whatever way you go, you will really enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom