My fj finally arrived yesterday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, I bought it site unseen but had at least 50 pics of the rig before making a decision. Now that I had it in my possession, questions are coming. The tub is not secured to the frame. The previous owner began to take it apart like 7 years ago and the frame/tub was removed from each other.

So this is what I was thinking/developing a plan to attack this project:

1. How heavy is the tub? Can one person remove it? I was planning on making sure the engine/tranny t case were in the proper position before placing the tub back on since it is a 350 conversion and it has a SOA swap. This was not done correctly since the front spring is too far back. There is no transmission crossmember fab'd to the frame.

2. Brakes - front disk brake swap and leave the rear drum - just rebuild it. I need new lines for it.

3. Shocks needed all around Bilsteins - 25% off or buy 3 get the 4th free.

4. Sandblast the tub and hardtop. The place I used for my mustang does great work. $450 for everything but I need to remove the glass from the hardtop. How hard is that and what is the proper way to remove the glass?

5. Plan on painting the tub with PPG Omni BC/CC and my paint supplier has a spray on liner to do the inside of the tub and underneath.

6. Plan on having AAtlas redo my 4runner front seats and long rears.

7. Question on my rollbar. Something doesn't look right. It looks short front to back and side to side. Almost like it was an old CJ5 roll bar. The middle section is bent in the middle and seem was created. Does anyone have a pic of a complete cage along with where it is suppose to sit in the rear? It is very close to the innermost wheel well corner not by the QP like I would have thought.

8. Gauges? The glass is cracked...seems an easy fix replace the glass and reseam it then. Correct or more difficult to do?

9. Not a big fan of the location of the gas tank. I've seen aux. tank some have used here and wanted to know if any have relocated the tank fill location to the rear as well.

Generally, I'm thinking of doing the following to it in order so I'm looking for critiques...

1. Frame/suspension work/fabbing the bumpers
2. Brakes rebuild
3. Body/Hardtop restoration
4. Re-apply the tub to the frame
5. Interior/roll cage
6. EFIing the 350
7. Brakelines/change fluids

Any helpful insights would be great. Thanks for the help.

Danno

for the body 2 would be a minimum, 3 or 4 would make it easier.

if you want my roll bar, just pay for shipping.

onefreeshock.com has buy 3 get one free. 4 wheel parts has a sale that ends today if they have anything you need.

it looks like we have fairly same plans for our 40's. i bought mine site unseen as well.

this thread is useless without pics

chris

First, stop referring to your classic as an 'FJ'. It's a FJ40 (presumably), so call it that or 'the 40'. Calling it an FJ is sacrilegous, most people will think you have a FJCruiser. OTOH, most people that see it will tell you they like your j33p. ;)

What year are we talking about here? I have the factory 'beauty bar' from my '76, that is far from a true roll cage, but you can have it if you want it. I upgraded to a Metal-Tech. :D

Plus, I have a neighbor that goes to Enumclaw frequently, he could probably bring it over for you. Let me know.

2 strong guys on the tub OR 3-4 weekend warriors will be adequate, watch out for the dog. :cheers:

1. Your 66' tub is heavy, couple of dudes to help would be good.
2. Upgrade the front end. Ball and claw=no good. Upgrade rear axle shafts to fine spline from a 69' or newer.
3. I like my Blistens.
4. New gaskets for the glass can be found at any glass shop. It is the same stuff as they use on tractors. It is the stuff with the key that locks the glass in.
5. I used dupont paint and spray on liner. Their are other undercoating options I would look at if doing it again.
7. I dig my metal tech family cage.
8. Maybe aftermarket gages. I like to know excatly what my oil presure and temp are.
9. Put a aux tank under the cruiser, so you can use a seat cradle w/the metal tech cage.

Good luck on your build.
Albee

albee, why do you say get a new gas tank to allow a seat cradle with a cage? i dont see a problem with keeping the tank there.

I would not have been able to get my cradle close enough to the tub w/the fuel tank under the pass seat. My head would have hit the roof.

My cruiser did not come w/a fuel tank, so I got to pick. If your 42 year old gas tank is still good, then maybe your funds would be better spent on other mods.
Good luck
Albee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom