My first headgasket fatality (and hopefully the last) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happened yesterday, HG gave out. 1996 with 226,000 on the clock. Guessing it also had some hydrolock going on, as the truck would not turn over.

The radiator is empty, and smells of gas and exhaust. The dipstick shows the oil pan is full of milky oil. After a bit of MUD research, HG is the culprit. Looking into the alternatives, fix it, replace with another 1FZ, or V8 swap. Since I am not inclined (time and skill and space) to perform the work, I think the V8 swap is out of consideration.

Have emailed my mechanic (I trust him), and will hear from him tomorrow. Good news is this is a spare vehicle, so will not be under a rush to complete the job in a quick time frame.

One thing I think is odd, when I started the truck - prior to the diagnosis of HG failure - the engine jumped and popped loudly, kind of like it was overcoming an obstacle, and then threw a belt. I immediately looked under the hood, and saw nothing out of sorts - HG was not in my mind. The second start it sputtered. Third time it caught, and stuttered then smoothed out. Steam poured out of the exhaust. Drove it down the street, then brought it home. It won't crank now. Tried it one last time after diagnosing the HG failure, and the engine won't turn over. Have not tried to manually turn it over, kind of afraid of inflicting more damage.

OK, here is the Tech question, how much damage have I done? Reading that running with a blown HG can cause rod and bearing damage, but not always, has me scared. I am afraid the loud pop and the violent force that surged through the truck was the death of the truck. Any experience with explosive HG failures?

Thanks.

Really sorry to hear of your truck HG going :-(

Mine has done 180k and suspect mine will fail sooner of later, I do keep an eye out for all the usual signs of HG failure.

Hope you get it sorted ok matey.

If water has entered the piston bores via a crack in the block or the head, water could have hydro-locked the motor. Possible damage could include cracked piston/s bent rod/s and stuffed bearings. The crank is a real beast of thing and near indestructible but I'd be having it checked just to be sure.

I'm sure you weren't aware this was the possible outcome but so many others try to get just that bit more out of the engine with a busted HG and it usually costs them double or triple the amount of money to fix. In your case, you really wont know until you pull it down - and you'll save a small fortune if you can do the R&R and strip down yourself.

Best of luck mate, and keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom