My first attempt with a tune up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The click-click-click in the radio was due to arcing, you can see in your pictures how the end
of one of the wires appears to have corrosion on it, possibly from arcing.

My story; had a tune-up at a dealer about 6 years ago while they had it for warranty work.

The next time I turned on my radio (was a few weeks and about 4000 miles later) heard the click-click-click; I hunted around for what I recognized as arcing; didn't find anything at first; but then checked
all the ignition wires where they click onto the towers of the distro cap. (do this with the engine off,
or you will get shocked).

The "mechanic" had not gotten one of the boots that click into the distro cap in all the way,
so it was arcing from the tip of the wire connector inside the tower to the conducting metal surface
a few mm's away; there was also a little pile of white powder where the aluminum was burned off
the inside of the tower.

Lesson learned; do it yourself (like you just did) or at least check the other guys work.

G

OLD THREAD WARNING!!!!

Guys,

Two year old thread till post #17...

Curtis

CJF;
Got to ask;
does this mean the discussion is covering old ground; already talked
about before and/or that it has gone on too long and time to turn it off, or both, neither?

ie: are you saying that forum members should not talk about something that has already been discussed, and if so, is it because we are using up MB space, etc,etc?

Just don't understand the rules.:)

G

CJF;
Got to ask;
does this mean the discussion is covering old ground; already talked
about before and/or that it has gone on too long and time to turn it off, or both, neither?

ie: are you saying that forum members should not talk about something that has already been discussed, and if so, is it because we are using up MB space, etc,etc?

Just don't understand the rules.:)

G

No rules; just don't expect the original poster to be waiting with baited breath for your words of wisdom. ;)

On the other hand, keep in mind that the thread reviver is hoping for said wisdom.

Cheers,

Curtis

For the peeps in the audience, the radio noise was dealt with. AFAIK, there are two types of radio noise, arcing and alternator/grounding noise. From what I know, the alternator whine mainly manifests it self on AM frequencies whereas the arcing is mostly heard on FM. If you have FM noise, check all your sparkplug wires, contections both at the plug and dizzy. Mine was arcing with noise on the FM dial. The new wires solved the problem. The old set was not bad and therefore I probably had a bad connection somewhere.

And jeez, what kind of maroon starts a thread like this. :lol:

The click-click-click in the radio was due to arcing, you can see in your pictures how the end
of one of the wires appears to have corrosion on it, possibly from arcing.

My story; had a tune-up at a dealer about 6 years ago while they had it for warranty work.

The next time I turned on my radio (was a few weeks and about 4000 miles later) heard the click-click-click; I hunted around for what I recognized as arcing; didn't find anything at first; but then checked
all the ignition wires where they click onto the towers of the distro cap. (do this with the engine off,
or you will get shocked).

The "mechanic" had not gotten one of the boots that click into the distro cap in all the way,
so it was arcing from the tip of the wire connector inside the tower to the conducting metal surface
a few mm's away; there was also a little pile of white powder where the aluminum was burned off
the inside of the tower.

Lesson learned; do it yourself (like you just did) or at least check the other guys work.

G

For the peeps in the audience, the radio noise was dealt with. AFAIK, there are two types of radio noise, arcing and alternator/grounding noise. From what I know, the alternator whine mainly manifests it self on AM frequencies whereas the arcing is mostly heard on FM. If you have FM noise, check all your sparkplug wires, contections both at the plug and dizzy. Mine was arcing with noise on the FM dial. The new wires solved the problem. The old set was not bad and therefore I probably had a bad connection somewhere.

And jeez, what kind of maroon starts a thread like this. :lol:

Not sure what the point is of Geoross's comments regarding starting a thread, or if there was a point at all.:doh:

Actually, I missed that this thread was so old. Didn't matter much, but I was wondering why someone (Geoross) with 800+ posts was asking about simple tune-up questions :confused:

Now I know - he didn't have 800+ posts back in 2005 !

I'm doing my first tune-up (not the truck's first though) tomorrow, so the title caught my eye. FWIW, all my stuff came from CDan (of course) and 2 of the plugs were gapped wrong - however, they were 2 of the 3 that were out of their box and part of a larger order in which the overall packing box was badly mangled by the brown truck crew. Very well packed by CDan (or his helper) so everything was still in the packing carton and the two plugs were easily re-gapped to spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom